Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Difficult to believe how many Brighton fans went to Barnsley

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yeah but most up north live in council houses and pay peanuts compared to hideous amounts of rents here and very few council properties :lolol::lolol:

I'd overlooked the smaller detail...:clap2:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Possibly one of the funniest tweets I've seen here (from an Arsenal 'fan' slating our support:

[tweet]833399528598429696[/tweet]

[tweet]833419266804346881[/tweet]

[tweet]833423940995448834[/tweet]

[tweet]833427590048268288[/tweet]

[tweet]833427767840612356[/tweet]

There's something very invetweeners about the 'I go to away games mate' :lol:

"Clock End Ultra" in his bio.... Jesus Christ... :ffsparr:
(can't work out why it's puting my comment in the quote???)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
If you look at clubs like the massive and Leeds they have big followings but in recent years have filled half their stadium capacity and then you'd have to wonder why?????
Up north you have big away ends unlike down here which is half the size....Only Fulham and reading offer over 3k while many up there are 4/5/6k awayends.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Don't worry about them. We had a good day - that'll do. I'm sure it's all born from jealousy. Had we lost they'd be more worried about telling us how shit we are.

Considering Barsley didn't even sell their tickets I think we did okay. If Newcastle and Arsenal fans are such uber supporters they could have always come and joined us for the day out. Especially since it's so easy apparently.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its piss easy being an away fan for northern clubs, generally one train journey to most clubs (except us and maybe Ipswich). I've only done 12 away's this season so far and travelled almost 5,000 miles, fans from teams like Leeds probably don't travel that far all season.

Edit: I was wrong, Leeds had 5,784 miles in 15/16 - we did 8,787 in total

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I remember a Wednesday fan slating our away support... He shut up when I informed him that we were their furthest away game and we have 8 games further away than Sheffield!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If somebody from oopt north would like to pay for me to go to all the away games that would be lovely thankyou , by gum .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Toon wanna talk crowds, we could talk about their unbelievably shit home atmosphere. Quite incredible considering the numbers.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
we averaged 2700 and 3200 at Gillingham 70 miles away in the 4th division-not one of the clubs listed would match that..

Jan 22, 2017
Cringing at that article, wouldn't surprise me if the mong responsible doesn't go to games himself.

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
It would always be good to have more support for Away games.

Wasn't there a grid posted on NSC showing distance travelled for the championship clubs along with Away support stats?

I think despite the distance we will begin to get more as the 'lost generation age group passes.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Look at the supporters coaches at games involving clubs like Newcastle and Leeds and you will see that they come from far and wide. This is a legacy of years in the top flight. Our coaches are 100% Sussex based. There's no shame in that.

Exactly this TBB, very well said. The 'big boys' fan base is sourced from a widespread diaspora built over several generations and a long history of top flight football. Albion, on the other hand, has spent most of its history in the lower echelons of English footie....although we often find that hard to remember. Most of our fans are Sussex born and bred, or alternatively have strong family ties to Sussex (like me) and for us to send 1,400 t'Barnsley was a bloody fabulous show. Everyone of us there was a true Seagull, with not a plastic in sight. If the kn*b waving brigades at other clubs want to compare like with like I suggest they wait a couple of years to an era when Albion is challenging for a Champions League spot:smile:

7,000 at MK Dons last season and nigh on the same number this season at Fulham show what we can muster when we want to. We should just ignore other twatters and concentrate on turning out when we can in the numbers we can for the club we all love. Frankly, I couldn't give two hoots about what others think of us. I feel part of a club that's quite special and I'm sure you all do too.

Come on you Albiooooooonnnn!!! .:albion2:

Edit: and it's a bloody long way from Sussex to most other grounds...plus we have SASTA to deal with too!

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have a funny feeling we will take as many fans to Forest as both Leeds and Newcastle this season.

Fans x miles:
Leeds 148,000
Newcastle 318,000
Brighton 362,000

(assuming every fan travel from their clubs home to Nottingham)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
You know when I first saw this thread title I thought it was going to be a positive article.

Ignorance in abundance up north isn't there.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The money you save living in the north compared to the south east means all the fans of northern clubs should more easily be able to afford to travel than their Sussex counterparts. Only 6000 from Newcastle, when you can buy a house there for around two and six? Shocking!

Hmmm that's only part of the answer though, A house may only cost half a crown, but the average pay packet is only threepence a week. It's swings and roundabouts really.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
who cares what they think it really is mindless... the Brighton fans who went to Barnsley travelled a long way but had a brilliant day .. let's just concern ourselves with how we are and fell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here