Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Hebdo - merged

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Extraordinary debate on Sky News earlier.

Some bloke called Asghar Bukhari from MPACUK saying Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were racists and this has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

cue much jaw dropping from others on the panel

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Are you? The intelligence service have known about 2 of those since 2005ish I think I read. The guys shot were also under police protection, not that it did much good!

You're right. However, I'd be shocked if it happened in this country with the amount of surveillance we have! The brothers terror seem to be on a grand tour around northern France giving the French police the runaround whilst showing off their weapons to petrol station assistants. I can't help but think they'll kill again before they are apprehended.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Extraordinary debate on Sky News earlier.

Some bloke called Asghar Bukhari from MPACUK saying Charlie Hebdo cartoonists were racists and this has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

cue much jaw dropping from others on the panel
Excellent debate, that. The apoplectic-jabbering, finger-stabbing Mr Bukhari (all he needed to complete his comedy act was a black flag and Kalashnikov) gave us all a chance to see Douglas Murray in a new light - as some kind of leftie liberal poster-boy. And that really does take some doing.

Most seriously, in attempting to paint as racist anyone criticising or ridiculing Islam, he seemed to have conveniently forgotten that while race is an immutable, determined from conception, religion is actually an option. Okay, harder for Muslims to press the 'no thanks' button when they've been brainwashed from birth with ancient religious nonsense that's backed up with a threat of death if you attempt to leave.

But if Sky had wanted to find someone to demonstrate how religious indoctrination can turn the human brain into mush, they could have found no better representative.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
We just don't find it a particularly funny subject so we tend not to joke about it much. From what I've seen the French cartoons aren't funny on any level. Not offensive. Not satire. Just very unfunny.

Muslims don't need an excuse to attack anyway, bunch of bloodthirsty ****ers the lot of them. It's not a religion for peace. But then none are.

Astrix the Gaul? Tintin? There is some rich humour in French Cartoons(Or is tintin Belgian?)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
My friend, I see exactly what you are saying, I think. I would not expect a work colleague who happened to be a muslim, to come up and apologise, which I think is what you are saying. They would be as innocent as you and I. Have I understood you correctly? Of course it may well be that the muslim community en masse is outraged etc -I would not suggest anything else. it is just that I feel that collectively they have not shown that. Another post talked about the large numbers that will come out and demonstrate about Israeli actions, but I doubt whether there will be such vociferous action now, though this might be rather simplistic. If you or anyone can demonstrably show me that this impression is incorrect, then I will happily say - Ok, my faith is restored.

How about this? How many of the French people at Place de la Republique yesterday evening were muslim?

The answer is "No idea". I can tell you that I know people who went and some are muslim.

I don't get why Muslims have to act collectively. They are members of society and can participate in the same way as everyone else.

As has been said many times before, their leaders and representatives make public statements. As is the case for many other groups/communities etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just to throw a twist to the story, and I will say now that I am not a ballistic expert or a biologist.

I have seen a video questioning the shooting on the pavement, and it doesn’t look like I expected it to. There is no visible sign of any injuries or blood and I cannot explain this to myself other than the video was doctored to raise a false flag argument.

I am not a fan of false flag operations or conspiracy theories but if they appear on my facebook I sometimes take a further look.

If anyone wants to have a look at the video to explain why it is like it is I will pass on the link.

zxtwinturbo

Nov 7, 2014
So, we know that most Muslim's are moderates, but are they moderates whilst in a minority. Let's face it in countries where they are 90%+ in population they are slaughtering each other, countries such as Chad,Yemen, Somalia, Nigeria etc. So if the minorities in the European cities get bigger then will these recent events escalate and the moderates turn.

taqiyya...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Asterix is very funny, particularly if read in the original French.

Didn't think I'd see a post worthy of Pseud's Corner on a thread about Islamic terrorism. :)

£10 paid for similar submissions.*

* If you send them to Private Eye.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
How about this? How many of the French people at Place de la Republique yesterday evening were muslim?

The answer is "No idea". I can tell you that I know people who went and some are muslim.

I don't get why Muslims have to act collectively. They are members of society and can participate in the same way as everyone else.

As has been said many times before, their leaders and representatives make public statements. As is the case for many other groups/communities etc.

Yes, this would be an excellent opportunity for muslims to show their revulsion at what is being done in their name. Perhaps a widely publicised one minute's silence outside each mosque after prayers, and invite the locals to join them. OK, you do not feel that they need to do this and I can live with that. However silence en masse may lead to the suspicion on the part of the general population that perhaps the muslim community does not regard radicalism with the same disdain that we consider they should. After the Lee Rigby murder, the small muslim community here was quite scared, and as a minority, they much to lose in any conflict -it would be good tactics on their part to show the majority that their intentions are good. Ok -no need to do it, but it might be in their interest.
I am aware that their reps come out with regular denunciations, but how do we know that their well-intentioned and doubtless honourable views reflect those of the majority. The Prime Minister goes abroad to represent us, but I could well imagine committed labour supporters saying that doesn't represent me!

Dandyman

In London village.
Yes indeed - they have spread mistrust, which is their aim. Indiscriminate terrorism is what they favour, as this tends to polarise opinions. If you had, say, a relative killed in a bombing attack by a politically motivated group, about which you had previously not given much thought to, you are far less likely at the very least to look at them with the same degree of tolerance that you previously had. This then breeds more hatred and encourages people to join equally fanatical groups on the "other side".

I support what you say in your final para, as the obvious solution to combat extremism, though this is somewhat idealistic, with respect, in that it only goes so far. I imagine that this is already happening, presumably with mixed results - how many hundreds do we hear are in Syria or wherever - but what do we do with those who are determined to reject our values, despite all well-intentioned counselling/begging/cajoling etc? And we must ask ourselves to what extent it is actually happening? We hear that Islam is a religion of peace/the majority reject extremism, but in all honesty, and with absolutely no axe to grind, I don't see so much evidence that this is necessarily true. Of course, if there are no mass demonstrations by muslims against extremism in the UK, that does not necessarily mean that they support it, I fully appreciate, and I am happy to accept a view that most folk are decent and moderate, but just would like to see unequivocal evidence that the muslim community en masse is aghast at what is done in their name. We hear influential muslim figures on TV saying "not in my name" very commendably, but really that tends to be it. By the way, I am more than happy to accept that I have the wrong impression - what do others think?

I live in an area of London with a significant Muslim population mainly of Cypriot and Turkish descent. I have no doubts that 99.9% of them are appalled by happened in Paris.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here