Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ched Evans

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Look, that family/friends web site is highly partial and not 'balanced' as it ridiculously claims. It is also highly selective and I'm sure omits things from evidence that helped the jury reach its verdict.

But that is not to say that everything on there is worthless. If that girl in the hotel video is the one in question, I have to say she doesn't look that paralytic to me. And given that is key to the prosecution, the outcome is perhaps surprising. But as said earlier, we haven't seen all the evidence.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The key facts on his friends & family's website?

The following link provides a good unbiased summary of the key points and evidence that the jury were presented with.

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

Expert toxicologist estimates that she'd have been 2.5x the legal drink drive limit. That's effectively saying that she'd have felt as drunk as the average woman would feel after drinking about 8 units and the averag bloke would feel after drinking 10 units (5 pints of regular strength - 4% abv - beer).

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
There hasn't been an appeal!

As for Edna's post, I agree that the behaviour is at best unsavoury but is it any different to a lot of other stuff that goes on on Friday nights.

God it's like having your own stalker. Read what I wrote -
attempt to appeal, as for the other stuff that shows how your mind works. You really are a troll.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Out of interest, was it a unanimous decision by the Jury or a Majority decision?

Have to say, I wondered about that but couldn't find anything. I would imagine that as they came to a quick verdict it was a unanimous decision. Having sat on a jury, after several hours we told the judge we couldn't come to a unanimous verdict but he still sent us away to try again. Eventually he accepted a majority verdict.

Look, that family/friends web site is highly partial and not 'balanced' as it ridiculously claims. It is also highly selective and I'm sure omits things from evidence that helped the jury reach its verdict.

But that is not to say that everything on there is worthless. If that girl in the hotel video is the one in question, I have to say she doesn't look that paralytic to me. And given that is key to the prosecution, the outcome is perhaps surprising. But as said earlier, we haven't seen all the evidence.

Agree, it obvious that a website seeking to overturn a decision is going to be partial and present their case in a favourably way. For example, in the timeline website it states that in the kebab shop she was slurring her words, taking food off others and also fell over whereas the Chedevans website says she squatted down to get something out of her handbag.

The following link provides a good unbiased summary of the key points and evidence that the jury were presented with.

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

Expert toxicologist estimates that she'd have been 2.5x the legal drink drive limit. That's effectively saying that she'd have felt as drunk as the average woman would feel after drinking about 8 units and the averag bloke would feel after drinking 10 units (5 pints of regular strength - 4% abv - beer).

I saw that and wondered how many people drinking that much would consider themselves to be so drunk they can't remember several hours?

God it's like having your own stalker. Read what I wrote -
attempt to appeal, as for the other stuff that shows how your mind works. You really are a troll.

Edit, sorry, looking at wrong poster!!

Just to clarify that I'm not saying he is definitely innocent, just that there are issues that raise doubt, particularly as why a jury felt one person was guilty and the other not. Had they both been found guilty there might not be that element of doubt.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
So, if he was a window cleaner, he wouldn't be allowed to do his job ?

But I could choose not to hire him to do my windows. And as a Brighton fan I can vote with my feet too.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Update: His family have said his fight for justice has made him a role model. http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ched-evanss-family-describe-him-as-a-role-model/ar-BB9pqvY

Richard Caborn (Sheff Utd fan) ex sports minister and ex MP of a Sheffield constituency has suggested that he apologises and shows remorse for his actions

"Rape is an incredibly serious offence, an unbelievably serious offence.

"He has done his time, but I just don't believe that the owners of a football club can somehow wish away the fact that that has happened."
Caborn, sports minister from 2001 to 2007, told the BBC it would be "a sad day for football" if the player was taken back by a club.
"It's a very sad episode, but Ched Evans is a convicted rapist," said Caborn, a lifelong Sheffield United supporter.
"I wouldn't want to see him in a Sheffield United, or any other, shirt until he acknowledges what he did was wrong and indeed shows some remorse for his actions.
"I believe that will give him his pathway back to professional football."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29647263

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Update: His family have said his fight for justice has made him a role model. http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ched-evanss-family-describe-him-as-a-role-model/ar-BB9pqvY

Richard Caborn (Sheff Utd fan) ex sports minister and ex MP of a Sheffield constituency has suggested that he apologises and shows remorse for his actions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29647263

So he is unlikely to apologise as that would be an admission of guilt and would blow his appeal out of the water.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting that the victim didn't even complain she was raped or have I got something wrong?

You are correct. The only reason that the police knew that he had sex with her is that he told the police so in his first interview.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
So he is unlikely to apologise as that would be an admission of guilt and would blow his appeal out of the water.

I am sure that something could be worded so that he regretted his involvement in whatever had happened, without admitting guilt of rape.

If he doesn't, maybe that is all the more convincing of his claim that he was wrongfully convicted. I was going to say that he was innocent, but he admitted his involvement, so the question is whether the act was rape or not..... and I don't know enough about the case to come down firmly on either side on that, and I hazard a guess that most other people who are pontificating on here do not really know the full facts of the case either...

SAC

May 21, 2014
I am sure that something could be worded so that he regretted his involvement in whatever had happened, without admitting guilt of rape.

If he doesn't, maybe that is all the more convincing of his claim that he was wrongfully convicted. I was going to say that he was innocent, but he admitted his involvement, so the question is whether the act was rape or not..... and I don't know enough about the case to come down firmly on either side on that, and I hazard a guess that most other people who are pontificating on here do not really know the full facts of the case either...

I hazard a guess that the jury had the facts presented to them and made up their minds (pretty quickly) that he was guilty. Ched Evans is a convicted sex offender.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I hazard a guess that the jury had the facts presented to them and made up their minds (pretty quickly) that he was guilty. Ched Evans is a convicted sex offender.

I am not disputing that he is a convicted sex offender. He doesn't think he ought to be. I am not offering opinions on that aspect of it one way or the other.

I was merely commenting on the "might an apology let him back in" aspect of it.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Interesting comparison with what's going on in the NFL at the moment with Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson. Can't see much sympathy for them and the NFL has got into trouble for being too lenient with them. Public outcry was massive.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
At the time of the trial, just following the media, I thought that the case against him was thin. But a jury still convicted him. I read on his site that he was still trying to appeal...I do not know if that will continue if he is released .

It seems to me that the only difference between this case and our own at Jury's Inn was the makeup of the jury....

Should Albion be interested in him? ....I think not until or unless he can clear his name. It is tough but football is a profession where people look up to you. The reaction against him would be too great and would be bad for the club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here