Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
One of you posted a quite objective post, took the time to research and post his/her findings and opinions. The other posted a picture of a book and a smilie in a dunce's hat. I guess we all know who was won that particular debate.

A quite objective post .... love your sense of humour. :thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
One of you posted a quite objective post, took the time to research and post his/her findings and opinions. The other posted a picture of a book and a smilie in a dunce's hat. I guess we all know who was won that particular debate.

Try reading the thread title before posting,you humourless,stupid,moron :D

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/23/growth-uk-brexit-data-consumer-squeeze
David Blanchflower
Professor of economics at Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, and member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee from June 2006 to May 2009

Unemployment fell by 11,000 on the month but there was a rise in underemployment – measured as part-timers who want full-time jobs – of 14,000. Also there was a big fall in the number of workers from eastern Europe. For the third month in a row real wages – that is, wage rises adjusted for prices changes – declined, this time by 0.5% for June. Even though CPI inflation was 2.6%, wage growth was only 2.1%. Between April and June real pay was down 1.4%, which means a sharp fall in living standards. Hence retail sales remain weak as consumers are squeezed by the fall in their living standards.

The main driver behind this has been the Brexit vote which lowered the pound and increased prices. The claims by some rightwing economists that a free trade nirvana will emerge if there is a hard Brexit has been rightly met this week by incredulity by the economics profession. A letter from 290 prominent economists written a year ago, debunking these claims is relevant here. It turns out that there is a huge disparity between the overwhelming majority of economists that say we would be worse off with Brexit and the handful that say otherwise.

There was other related bad news, including a worsening of the UK’s trade performance. Despite a boost in exports from the lower pound, this was matched by the trade in goods deficit widening unexpectedly to £12.7bn, from £11.3bn in May. Exports fell by 2.8% but imports rose by 1.6%, according to the Office for National Statistics. It was the biggest deficit in nine months and much wider than economists’ forecasts of £11bn.

The move of the public finances to positive territory for the first time in a decade was a brief respite that will not continue. For the year public sector net borrowing at £22.8bn in the four months to July is nearly £2bn higher than it was a year ago.

Andrew Sentance
Senior economic adviser at the PwC consultancy and member of the Bank’s MPC from October 2006 to May 2011

The most recent economic data has not fundamentally changed the post-Brexit picture for the UK economy. Growth is slowing in the UK, while it is picking up elsewhere in the EU. There are two obvious reasons why this is the case. First, Brexit is adding to uncertainty about investment decisions and other long-term economic commitments. Second, inflation has risen because the pound has fallen, and this is squeezing consumers’ purchasing power. Normally, we would expect a recovery in the other EU economies to benefit the UK. Because of Brexit, growth in the UK and other EU economies are now moving in opposite directions.

The pound is now extremely weak in historical terms. Since the euro was launched in 1999, sterling has never been below €1.10 and $1.30 at the same time until this month. The devalued pound does not seem to be boosting exports, but it is eroding living standards and squeezing consumer spending.

The UK continues to look good in terms of employment, but employment is growing faster in continental Europe. In my view, it is likely that UK unemployment will rise over the next year, as growth is slowing, while the jobless total will continue to fall elsewhere in the EU. Over the recovery following the global financial crisis, the UK has been one of the better-performing economies until now. That may now be about to change, as other EU economies gather momentum and the UK economy falters.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
As has been inferred elsewhere, the main reason we don't reclaim all the costs is through our own administrative inefficiency. Unfortunately, some prefer to blame the EU (as - in their minds - every ill that the UK suffers is the fault of the nasty EU). If we bothered to properly resource the relevant administrative functions we could have the same levels of control over EU foreign nationals as many other countries in the EU already have. Rather than put our own house in order, the likes of Mrs May prefer to point fingers at other - far more efficient - countries. It's embarrassing.

I recall from the campaign last year reading that the Spainish are judicious in charging the NHS for the services provided to many pensioners out there while we were not.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Try reading the thread title before posting,you humourless,stupid,moron :D

He's certainly got a vastly superior grasp on the matter than you. One poster writes a thoughtful, referenced, considered post on the subject. You and Tweedledum post emojis and call people morons. No comparison. You and JC have both been comprehensively owned. Again.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
He's certainly got a vastly superior grasp on the matter than you. One poster writes a thoughtful, referenced, considered post on the subject. You and Tweedledum post emojis and call people morons. No comparison. You and JC have both been comprehensively owned. Again.

You should try reading the thread title as well,dopey.'Brexit name calling'.So you are the one being owned,you clueless oaf!:D:rotlf::cheers::p???:wink::wave::clap::banana::O:laugh::wrong::thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Remember Andrew Neill making Blanchflower look a complete buffoon on the Politics show on the BBC.Tries to blame everything on Brexit,and has been saying it will cause a financial meltdown since 2015.Then admitted another article he'd written about cyclical recession predicted we were already in one.:lolol:

I don't remember, can you post a link? Cheers.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I don't remember, can you post a link? Cheers.

Google is your friend,and I'm too dense.I'm off to drown my sorrows-I'm so upset at all the insults!:cheers:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Our General elections also usually end up in a binary choice red or blue government with visceral simplistic arguments overriding the complex pressing needs of the country. Big single issues also get lost in the fog of war, party tribalism.

The main problem was our representative democratic institutions weren't representing the views of all the people. All major parties were of the same mind re the EU. So a party did spring up and gain support. We had 4 million + people voting UKIP, 25% in the polls and getting no representation in parliament (until defections). We also had numerous polls showing anything up to 70% of people wanting immigration reduced, yet all the main parties either ignored them or lied to them. I don't think you would have really wanted to see UKIP grow any further in support.

When it comes to decisions about who governs us with a constant gradual transfer of powers away from our parliament the people should have a direct unambiguous say if this is a path they are happy to go down. 52% (for whatever reason) said no thanks.

I have argued before that our voting system served UKIP very badly in 2015. They should have finished up with several dozen MPs. It was wrong that they didn't. Some have suggested that if Cameron hadn't offered a referendum they might even have been the largest party. I doubt that for the simple reason that while coming out of the EU might have had appeal for large numbers of voters, other considerations, such as the economy, health or education would have been more important to those voters than the EU and UKIP has always scored low in those areas. In other words, people would have been led in the direction of nuanced decisions in the voting booths. They would have said: "Yes, I like UKIP's policy on immigration but other things matter more and I think that Labour or the Tories offer the best policies there so I will vote for them."

I know why Brexiteers do it but it is just too simplistic to say that 70 per cent of people wanted immigration reduced and therefore any failure to do so was a failure of democracy. It is like saying that because 70 per cent of people want hanging reintroduced, or speed limits cut to 20mph, or Prince William made king now it is a failure of democracy if that doesn't happen. It is no such thing.

The referendum was a simple yes/no question that took no account of how important the subject was to individuals relative to other topics. It placed a hugely complex issue in splendid isolation and invited people to see the subject in simple black and white.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You should try reading the thread title as well,dopey.'Brexit name calling'.So you are the one being owned,you clueless oaf!:D:rotlf::cheers::p???:wink::wave::clap::banana::O:laugh::wrong::thumbsup:

All I am going to say is you are coming across as a really tiresome, and childish, knob.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oh feck off you cretin. Didn't even attempt to address any of the points I made you just claimed you "can probably" draw up a lengthy list of flaws blah blah blah. Oh no but wait all you actually did was post a shitty meme and a dunce emoji.

So we're back to calling each other names again and the cycle never stops. Ok well I was down with that before, in fact I think I called one of you a windowlicker and it seemed to scratch a nerve so I'll continue down that road since you don't have anything else to say. Here's how I feel when I read another round of ill informed drivel from your lot.....

View attachment 88466

I know you are desperate to be given an A* from your mates for that tedious effort of a post, but you then go on to compound your earlier incursion of unacceptable references with a new vamped up animation of 'Windowlicker', are your seriously that dim.

Why oh why have you compiled a number of selected links and quotes to then offer up as anything more than a 12 year old homework project I will never know, its a million words too long irrespective of its merits, but you are serving it up as if it is some definitive academic paper, its all a little awkward.

You might get a few 'pats on the back' from the usual suspects, but my god man give the windowlicking reference a miss and cut your posts down to no more than six words, four if possible.

Last edited:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know you are desperate to be given an A* from your mates for that tedious effort of a post, but you then go on to compound your earlier incursion of unacceptable references with a new vamped up animation of 'Windowlicker', are your seriously that dim.

Why oh why have you compiled a number of selected links and quotes to then offer up as anything more than a 12 year old homework project I will never know, its a million words too long irrespective of its merits, but you are serving it up as if it is some definitive academic paper, its all a little awkward.

You might get a few 'pats on the back' from the usual suspects, but my god man give the windowlicking reference a miss and cut your posts down to no more than six words, four if possible.

We'd all rather have one or two long, well written posts than fifty of your one paragraph twatfests.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We'd all rather have one or two long, we'll written posts than fifty of your one paragraph twatfests.

You gotta get the spelling right when questioning another posters good or bad posts, them's the rule .............. get editing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here