Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt oh dear.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
He could always come back on a free transfer and play for us for free until he's paid back the wages he robbed us of towards the end of his time here....on second thoughts, no, he can **** off.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Liam Bridcutt won't be coming back, but if anyone thinks he was anything other than outstanding for us then you're re-writing history. He was excellent for us, and the team's success with him in it speaks for itself. The role he does in the team is very specific, use him well and he's quality, don't use him well and he won't look as good as he is. It's up to Sunderland to use him properly, or lose him to wherever Gus goes next and he'll be transformed into a proper player again.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He could always come back on a free transfer and play for us for free until he's paid back the wages he robbed us of towards the end of his time here....on second thoughts, no, he can **** off.

As long as we give back the £2.5m Sunderland gave us, who robbed who precisely ??

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Liam Bridcutt won't be coming back, but if anyone thinks he was anything other than outstanding for us then you're re-writing history. He was excellent for us, and the team's success with him in it speaks for itself. The role he does in the team is very specific, use him well and he's quality, don't use him well and he won't look as good as he is. It's up to Sunderland to use him properly, or lose him to wherever Gus goes next and he'll be transformed into a proper player again.

Correct! It's amazing how in some fans' view players suddenly become shit when they leave us...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
(un)Fortunately depending on your position, I don't think there's a position here anymore for LB.

It would seem the club has more 'holding' midfielders than the rest of the division combined, making this thread bounce somewhat pointless.

What chance of getting Murray back :dunce:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Spot on. Will always be one of my favourite Albion players, regardless of how it ended. I never figured out how someone so small could win so many headers...

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
(un)Fortunately depending on your position, I don't think there's a position here anymore for LB.

It would seem the club has more 'holding' midfielders than the rest of the division combined, making this thread bounce somewhat pointless.

What chance of getting Murray back :dunce:

The difference is that we spent most of last season playing 2 holding midfielders whereas Liam Bridcutt did the job on his own. He was an outstanding player for us, just a shame the way he finished his time with us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The difference is that we spent most of last season playing 2 holding midfielders whereas Liam Bridcutt did the job on his own. He was an outstanding player for us, just a shame the way he finished his time with us.
We must be talking about a different Albion and Liam Bridcutt.
Or else I have completely misunderstood the roles of Dicker, Navarro, Hammond and the one I always forget.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
So....

The consensus is that Bridcutt was
- good for us because Poyet played to his strengths.
- conned us by manoeuvring to get a move to Sunderland
- has been played out of position since his move and basically has been crap at adapting

.... and although no one actually suggested the contrary, we would never want to re-sign him!

Right?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

/QUOTE]

You omitted to say but none anywhere nearly as goodor as effective. We used 2 holding midfielders and they still failed to be as effective as LB was on his own I dont think there is any chance he will return but if he did that would release Stephens and Kayal to get forward more.in support of our 1 or 2 strikers.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

He worked very well in Poyets system where he sat just in front of the back 4 and provided an extra layer of protection or picked the ball up and played a simple pass up the pitch. It was certainly effective but I always wondered if Liam would ever be a success when he moved on purely because of how specific that position seemed to be to our way of playing.

For me Liam was fantastic when he played with the game in front of him and had time on the ball but when the game was bunched up and time on the ball was at a premium he struggled. This is why I think he has been found lacking in the Premier league as he is playing in the thick of midfield in matches where time on the ball is simply not a luxury you get.

Despite how he left I still wish him well as he was a big part of a successful team here but as has been proved I do not think he is premier league quality

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You omitted to say but none anywhere nearly as goodor as effective. We used 2 holding midfielders and they still failed to be as effective as LB was on his own I dont think there is any chance he will return but if he did that would release Stephens and Kayal to get forward more.in support of our 1 or 2 strikers.
Care to answer #130.

Where did this singlehanded Liam Bridcutt myth come from?

I don't recall saying he wasn't anything short of outstanding for us.

Player of the year two seasons running, fully deserved too. But there is a nasty taste left by the manner of his departure, for me at least.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We must be talking about a different Albion and Liam Bridcutt.
Or else I have completely misunderstood the roles of Dicker, Navarro, Hammond and the one I always forget.

When he came to the for Navarro and Dicker had both gone as his best season was in 12/13 and the infamous defeat at home to Palace. Hammond and Keith Andrews if that who you meant, played further forward than him as I would envisage Stephens and Kayal doing. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening but we can live in hope.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When he came to the for Navarro and Dicker had both gone as his best season was in 12/13 and the infamous defeat at home to Palace. Hammond and Keith Andrews if that who you meant, played further forward than him as I would envisage Stephens and Kayal doing. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening but we can live in hope.
What rot.

Hammond Andrews and Bridcutt played like a table football midfield.

Christ you could even throw Barnes into the mix as a 'holding' left winger :shrug:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I prefer Rohan Ince. He may not be as good a player (yet) but I love watching the big man play. No doubt when his agent persuades him to down tools until he gets a move to a bigger club I'll feel differently, but until then ....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You must have been watching a different formation than me as I saw a back four with Bridcutt in front of them then in front of him 2 central midfielders and in front of them 2 wide men when possible. so it was 1_4-1-2-2-1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here