Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who did you think was the most exciting signing Albion have made

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I am fortunate to remember the disbelief at the signing of Bobby Smith. His goalscoring record must be getting on for that of Jimmy Greaves. If he had that record in today's game no premier team would be able to afford him. He was just brutal in front of goal and we were shite little Brighton in Div 4. He galvanised the team who mudt have got so much confidence with him in the side. It was just the most memorable season. There's been a lot of stuff gone on since then, good and bad, but that season still stands out for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kevin McLeod. One of Micky Adams first signings after his return. Pacey, skilful winger. Really thought he'd do the business for us. He didn't.

I got drunk with him once in my living room. He took a shine to my daughter at a birthday party we were at for one of the players wives in Hove. We got chatting there, and he ended up coming back in our cab. Daughter retired upstairs, we got stuck into the Bacardi, and I think he thought he'd be staying the night and was waiting for me to pass out so he could wander upstairs....NOT happening. We ended up watching some of his goals on YouTube, before I whistled up a cab for him and booted him out at about 3am.

Odd night.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Old timers; do you remember where you were when we signed Bobby Smith I?

The rich kids had radios (valve types that plug into the mains) and I didn't believe them when they said. I thought they were kidding me!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I got drunk with him once in my living room. He took a shine to my daughter at a birthday party we were at for one of the players wives in Hove. We got chatting there, and he ended up coming back in our cab. Daughter retired upstairs, we got stuck into the Bacardi, and I think he thought he'd be staying the night and was waiting for me to pass out so he could wander upstairs....NOT happening. We ended up watching some of his goals on YouTube, before I whistled up a cab for him and booted him out at about 3am.

Odd night.

Footballer cockblocker? Very interesting position to be in.

Did you get his autograph before you booted him to the cab?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Frank Worthington. A twinkle in his eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Footballer cockblocker? Very interesting position to be in.

Did you get his autograph before you booted him to the cab?

Mmmnah. Never been much fussed about autographs, and I'm a bit long in the tooth to get starstruck by a drunken journeyman 3rd division footballer. He was alright though.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
For me in recent years, it was Poyet - he started this upward trend & that promotion year in league one where we had some amazing performances (posh away, charm Tom away) got me excited & starting to believe we could go places

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
For me in recent years, it was Poyet - he started this upward trend & that promotion year in league one where we had some amazing performances (posh away, charm Tom away) got me excited & starting to believe we could go places

charm Tom - that's up there with the best of spellchecker 'guesses'.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
When we signed ex England international and FA cup winner Dave Beasant.

That was a historical moment for the Albion. How many other ex England internationals did we sign whilst we were at the Withdean?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
In my lifetime and in order:

1) Vicente
Although injuries had taken their toll, in his day Vicente had been a truly world class talent. I remember being in Bulgaria for an England on that Summer transfer deadline day with some Albion fans when the rumours started. We had the initial reports then came the big worry that someone was going to gazump us to the signing as I believe Leicester, with Sven in charge declared a late interest. This was genuinely exciting and the closest player we had to his stature would have been Gotsmanov but I was tad too young to appreciate that at the time.

2) Craig Mackail-Smith
He was top scorer and a stand-out player for Peterborough in the League One we absolutely walked. He was always going to be in high demand after his successful season at Posh and the speculation started as soon they had secured promotion...He was also linked with Leicester and West Ham but it was us that secured his signature and for a big fee for us. With our promotion, move to The Amex and now spending £2.5m on a heavily sought after striker it was a real statement that we meant business in the Championship.

3) Bobby Zamora (both times)
His loan spell was excellent with 6 goals in 6 games so we knew his quality and I remember mentioning to work colleagues that we would never be able to sign him permanently. Then At a fans forum that summer Mickey Adams said something like "expect some big signing news tomorrow". I then get an e-mail from an Albion fan saying we had signed Zamora and I just shouted "YES" in the office . Myself and my brother spent the evening grinning like loons.

For Bobby's return the rumours had been going round for a while but I was not that bothered. In fact 2 summers ago I was about as apathetic as I had ever been about an upcoming season...After the Hyypia debacle I did not expect much and thought we would be a mid-table at best but despite not being fussed about Zamora re-signing, it galvanised me a bit and I got up for the new season...And what a couple of years we have had.

I think that covers it.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here