Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I am currently running a 19:56 5k, I am looking to try and get this down to sub 19, anyone got any advice apart from turning the speed up on the treadmill?

My personal experience would be: when you're turning the speed up in training try to do it by increasing your cadence rather than by lengthening your stride. Additionally don't just focus on simple running speed in training. Do a fair amount of training runs which include hill work/reps, and speed intervals. Increase (or start) the amount of work you do (in the gym or at home) on core strength as well as leg, ankle, hip flexibility stuff.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hill sprints.

Well you are already pretty fast so I think the best advice you'll get is from one or more of the guys who have - fairly recently perhaps - cranked up from a sub-20 to a sub-19. It's been a very long time since I was in this vicinity but I think the key to it is intensity and hill sprints certainly tick that box. It might also be worth looking at your weight and see if a couple of pounds could be thrown overboard. If you are trying to whittle away the seconds then doing similar with the pounds sometimes can pay dividends................

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Currently 6'1 and 78kg. Problem is I am an injured rower who wants to go back to rowing eventually so don't want to be a bag of bones. Just trying to get my time down to annoy my friend who is a runner as I already beat him by about 30 seconds, a minute and 30 seconds would really get his goat.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am currently running a 19:56 5k, I am looking to try and get this down to sub 19, anyone got any advice apart from turning the speed up on the treadmill?

Wind up a dog in a park in London. Put a treadmill on 6% decline. Otherwise intervals.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Currently 6'1 and 78kg. Problem is I am an injured rower who wants to go back to rowing eventually so don't want to be a bag of bones. Just trying to get my time down to annoy my friend who is a runner as I already beat him by about 30 seconds, a minute and 30 seconds would really get his goat.

Like the motivation! My killer tip is that you tie his goat's legs together.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Try Park Run if you can. Guaranteed to push you onto pb's especially as you sound a competitive sort.

If you have to stay on the treadmill then set the pace at 10MPH and see how long approx you can keep that going for. You would do 5k in about 18:40 at that continuous pace.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brighton Phoenix 10k places now up for grabs. £15 for non affiliated athletes. A flat run from Hove to Shoreham and back on Wednesday 13th July at 7:30 in the evening. We had a good NSC turnout last time with beers after in the Better Half. Hopefully a similar set up this year.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Brighton Phoenix 10k places now up for grabs. £15 for non affiliated athletes. A flat run from Hove to Shoreham and back on Wednesday 13th July at 7:30 in the evening. We had a good NSC turnout last time with beers after in the Better Half. Hopefully a similar set up this year.

Sounds good I'm in

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
So weather looks terrible for the weekend with high winds all day Saturday and Sunday. Any ideas where to go for a sheltered run of say 15 miles. Thinking of woodlands or north of the Downs to get away from the worst of 40mph + southerlies.

Any bright ideas?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So weather looks terrible for the weekend with high winds all day Saturday and Sunday. Any ideas where to go for a sheltered run of say 15 miles. Thinking of woodlands or north of the Downs to get away from the worst of 40mph + southerlies.

Any bright ideas?

First you may get a Hove Park pb as the wind is forecast to be a perfect hill assisting SSE. I won't be going for that myself.
For Sunday it does look grim. Anything North of the Downs will be very boggy unless you found a cinder track somewhere. So the options are to battle the wind or get a train 15 miles West and run back along the coast or the South Downs Way.
At the moment there is a window of only 20mph winds from early morning till 9. I'm considering getting out to Worthing at 5am.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] I'm in. The Phoenix is my A list 10k for the summer.

Last edited:

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
I'm photographer for Hove Promenade tomorrow and then running the Chichester 10k Road Race on Sunday.

Horsham 10k entries are now open and also the new Barns Green 10k to go alongside the famous Half.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So, my running naivity and stupidity reared it's ugly ahead once again in preparation for the half marathon.

My last "bigger" run was about 6.5 miles and 2 weeks ago. I went for a proposed bigger run on Tuesday but the asthma kicked in and I had to stop at half a mile!!!!!

Anyway, after dosing up I went out again last night, with the intention of running from saltdean to the marina and back.....but I got cocky at the marina, ran through it and went to the brighton eye :lolol:

That moment when I turned round and realised I needed to get back was terrible! Had to stop 3 or 4 times on the way back but ultimately I "travelled" 10 miles. the first 7 miles was non stop. Thankfully the stopping was not through chest issues but purely legs and hip tiredness.

Please PLEASE tell me that will improve with the more runs I do?!?!? Also, I've realised the psychological barrier of running somewhere and then just turning round is crushing for my little mind.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So, my running naivity and stupidity reared it's ugly ahead once again in preparation for the half marathon.

My last "bigger" run was about 6.5 miles and 2 weeks ago. I went for a proposed bigger run on Tuesday but the asthma kicked in and I had to stop at half a mile!!!!!

Anyway, after dosing up I went out again last night, with the intention of running from saltdean to the marina and back.....but I got cocky at the marina, ran through it and went to the brighton eye :lolol:

That moment when I turned round and realised I needed to get back was terrible! Had to stop 3 or 4 times on the way back but ultimately I "travelled" 10 miles. the first 7 miles was non stop. Thankfully the stopping was not through chest issues but purely legs and hip tiredness.

Please PLEASE tell me that will improve with the more runs I do?!?!? Also, I've realised the psychological barrier of running somewhere and then just turning round is crushing for my little mind.

Yep, going from 6.5 miles to 10 is quite a leap. You need to add the miles on a bit more incrementally than that!

... and I need to take my own advice - I posted nearly 30 miles in total last week, and have suffered from a bit of a sore Achilles tendon this week. I've been off running since my long run on Wednesday (only run this week) which brought the issue to my attention, no park run tomorrow, be a bit more regimented about my stretching, and see how we go on Monday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First you may get a Hove Park pb as the wind is forecast to be a perfect hill assisting SSE. I won't be going for that myself.
For Sunday it does look grim. Anything North of the Downs will be very boggy unless you found a cinder track somewhere. So the options are to battle the wind or get a train 15 miles West and run back along the coast or the South Downs Way.
At the moment there is a window of only 20mph winds from early morning till 9. I'm considering getting out to Worthing at 5am.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] I'm in. The Phoenix is my A list 10k for the summer.
Is it really going to be THAT windy?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yep, going from 6.5 miles to 10 is quite a leap. You need to add the miles on a bit more incrementally than that!

Yep. I think I panicked as im now IN the month of the Half marathon and I was nowhere near the distance.

I need to realise I still have the days to build up so I'm planning a run on sunday of around 7.5 miles to keep the legs ticking over.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yep. I think I panicked as im now IN the month of the Half marathon and I was nowhere near the distance.

I need to realise I still have the days to build up so I'm planning a run on sunday of around 7.5 miles to keep the legs ticking over.

Don't worry about the distance too much, the time you are able to stay on your feet is more important - so do your 7.5 miles, but do it at a slower pace.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Any bright ideas?

Up and down the Downslink - lots of it is quite sheltered, mostly quite firm underfoot and easy to park up somewhere (loads of suitable access points) and do an out and back (could even do 2 x 4 mile-ish out and backs, one N one S, using your car as a mid-point aid station)

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/2203/downs_link_6_stage_route_2010.pdf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here