Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Christian Walton on season long loan to Bury

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Taking an absolute slating on their forum and most fans don't seem to want him back - back with us being assessed coz of the injury. Would appear he's been getting some verbal during the games from their own fans as well. I hope it's all positive character building for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Taking an absolute slating on their forum and most fans don't seem to want him back - back with us being assessed coz of the injury. Would appear he's been getting some verbal during the games from their own fans as well. I hope it's all positive character building for him.

Trouble is, the 'Highlights' mainly concentrate on the goals scored. What we don't see is how many chances young Christian kept out (although I can, like everybody else) see that a lot have been getting past him........but how much of that is down to him, how much is down to Bury having an inadequate defence for League 1?
(And no, I don't know the answer to that; wouldn't expect to get it on a Bury fans' forum either - no doubt they love scraping goats as much as we do).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is how the story goes every single time a young goalkeeper goes out on loan somewhere, if the team don't start brilliantly with him in goal then questions are raised about how good he actually is and the vocal Internet Forum types will start asking questions such as, "why are we loaning a young goalkeeper in the first place?" and "how do we benefit from this deal?". I'm sure Cheltenham fans were saying it about Jack Butland when they had him on loan in League 2, and I wonder if Shrewsbury fans felt something similar when Joe Hart was their number 1 aged 18/19 - or when he went on loan to Blackpool and a few others for a brief spell when he was 20/21 without setting the world alight.

In a few years time, we're going to look back on his loan spell at Bury and talk about how it shaped the goalkeeper he has become but that's the future. The present is all people care about and maybe that's a fair concern for Bury fans, Walton's future means nothing to them but to us that's our future #1 goalkeeper they're grooming.

I guarantee this post won't be bounced if I'm proven to be right and Walton goes on to play for England, and becomes a regular in the Premier League (hopefully for us!). But it sure will be when he makes his debut for Whitehawk in the Sunday Jumpers for Goalposts league and ships in several.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gutted for him if the injury means he has to pull out of the England U21 squad.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Let's be fair. Bury were being battered by players from top of the Premiership Leicester and he was at no fault for the first three. Ok, he made a misjudgement in the passage of play leading up to the fourth, but it wouldn't have always led to a goal and again, it was a clinical finish by the Leicester player.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Trouble is, the 'Highlights' mainly concentrate on the goals scored. What we don't see is how many chances young Christian kept out (although I can, like everybody else) see that a lot have been getting past him........but how much of that is down to him, how much is down to Bury having an inadequate defence for League 1?
(And no, I don't know the answer to that; wouldn't expect to get it on a Bury fans' forum either - no doubt they love scraping goats as much as we do).

Who doesn't love scraping a goat?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And some wanted him to be playing here last season. Glad he is getting some experience where it can't do us any harm
That would be the same crowd that wanted Halford back and wondered why we were dragging our heels over one of the slowest defenders in the league :facepalm:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That would be the same crowd that wanted Halford back and wondered why we were dragging our heels over one of the slowest defenders in the league :facepalm:

A little harsh in that Halford actually played well for us for a spell, it wasn't until the end of the season he was found wanting, and to be fair Dunk was worse at times, especially towards the end.

I don't think Walton will be ready for us for at least another 2 years.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Bury defence looks appalling perhaps they need to get El Abd back on loan from Bristol City.

Quite, they are awful, but always easy to blame the young 'inexperienced' goalie, rather than the donkey CB, who helped get them out of League 2.

They need AEA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here