Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It wasn't a foul, that's all there is to it. Mike Dean got it wrong. He looked flustered by the occasion.

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Woah there! What are you saying... From a couple of pictures I have seen it definitely looks like no shin pads.
Is that an offence? I didn't know that. Is that the case?

Yes I'm saying exactly that. Shin pads are considered a necessary part of a player's kit & must be worn for the duration of each game by every player including goalies

There was some debate earlier this season (maybe last?) about whether Jack Grealish wears them & he came forward to say he prefers slimline, lower ones so he can play with his socks rolled down as low as possible yet keep within the laws of the game

There are probably better examples than the link below by Wikipedia but it backs this up. If Ramirez began the game with no shin pads at all it's an offence. I don't know what action would be taken during play whether a yellow would be shown or just sent off the pitch to put some on before returning but - not meant cruelly to dismiss it - that injury would be less severe & not influence Dean if the ref or assistants had pulled him for not wearing pads pre game or during.

Not meaning to use this as an excuse but seeing as the injury clearly influenced the red then the lack of wearing pads was a factor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_(association_football)

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Greg you're a knob - clearly dont know the rules of football . He got the ball first end of - no discussion necessary .

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
Looked bad but the bloke has a plaster over the cut at the end of the game laughing and joking! No card needed at all especially a red! Rosenior broke his leg early in the season and it wasn't a foul! Not saying it was but just goes to show it doesn't matter how serious the injury it doesn't mean it's a foul!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I didn't realise what it was for at the game; it was that innocuous.

Is there not a video of the incident doing the rounds yet? I was watching Barton's river-dance on Kayal on Twitter within about 10 mins of the final whistle at the Burnley game.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Club has confirmed we're appealing the red card.
Sadly we know that the FA/FL will close ranks and nothing will come of it, but I'm still writing to the FA anyway to ask why the ref was influenced by the yellow card being knocked out of his hand.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
[video]https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4-mobile/neei.mp4[/video]

Watching again, it looks even more of a nothing foul.

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
Glad to see the club are appealing the red card, though knowing how the system works I'm sure the panel will look to protect Mike Dean and uphold his decision. However, can the panel uphold the red card but reduce the punishment from a three game ban to one or two games based on the circumstances? i.e ref being influenced by the sight of the injury, injury influenced by lack of shin pads, Stephens winning the ball, no intention etc etc I think that's the best we can hope for and at least Stephens would be available for Wembley should we overcome Massive

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
[video]http://mediacdn.fanatix.com/media/a6/78/93aa44ab19ae826abbfae207685c07 fc5b54/upload.fanatix.mp4[/video]

Looks like nothing in real time but the replay stops about 2 seconds to early to confirm.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Looked bad but the bloke has a plaster over the cut at the end of the game laughing and joking! No card needed at all especially a red! Rosenior broke his leg early in the season and it wasn't a foul! Not saying it was but just goes to show it doesn't matter how serious the injury it doesn't mean it's a foul!

It is a bit strange that an injury so painful that it requires oxygen and a stretcher can clear up so quickly.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just read the Guardian review and Stephen's challenge is derided as "ghastly... late, high and with studs up". I can buy the last two but I simply don't get how the challenge can be defined as late when he won the ball. I know I'm viewing this with Albion tinted spectacles but, try as I might, I cannot see that as being a red card. I was driving home when it happened and there was unanimity from the Talk Sport crew (my car's is too old and crap for digital radio) that it wasn't a red card offence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here