Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amazon FIRESTICK - dodgy streaming

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm into this live streaming business so don't understand how I've not come across Kodi before. Beeing playing around with it all evening, looks like there's loads of movies to choose from. Thanks [MENTION=21064]easy[/MENTION]10

You probably did when it was called XBMC previously.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Interesting thread, apologies if I've missed something but do you need the stick part or can I download it on my laptop and connect it with a HDMI lead? I've done this in the past with Albion streams but the quality has been suspect!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting thread, apologies if I've missed something but do you need the stick part or can I download it on my laptop and connect it with a HDMI lead? I've done this in the past with Albion streams but the quality has been suspect!

It's available on almost anything, including Windows PCs. We have a Mac mini permanently connected to our lounge TV for a number of reasons - I run it on that.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The stick is supplementary to the Kodi app which you can download on your Mac, PC, Android or iOS mobile and tablet devices as well as the Fire stick.

If all you want to do is get it through your lappy then it's pretty piss easy. And if you don't mind wires just HDMI into your telly from your computer and the job's a goodun

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
charles-polk-quote-there-are-no-financial-incentives-for-nefarious.jpg

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
The stick is supplementary to the Kodi app which you can download on your Mac, PC, Android or iOS mobile and tablet devices as well as the Fire stick.

If all you want to do is get it through your lappy then it's pretty piss easy. And if you don't mind wires just HDMI into your telly from your computer and the job's a goodun

Within 5 mins I'm watching mad max from my iPad and Apple TV ... Brilliant, thanks

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Whats the link for bein free trial ? Can't find that on the u.s. page? Ta

Think it was called Fubopro, im at work socant post a link but look for that, was only 6.99 per month anyway! I downloaded hola the chrome extension that is a free vpn and watched the ipswich game on there in HD and no buffering.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Is this a case of if something sounds to good to be true?

Nope, it really is not. I have virgin TV but pretty much use Kodi to watch most things now. Its great for kids tv and putting things on for them too.

To be clear, it is not a case of buying this, p[lugging it in and away you go.....you do have to add sources and addons to be able to watch the channels/sources that people have been talking about. A quick google of how to do that is easy enough. Add Genesis, Phoenix, UK Turk, Entertainment hub, sports Devil add ons and that should see you fine. Phoenix is superb and the guys are on twitter so full support too. They have an NHL add on within Phoenix that show every game the next day in HD, watched it last year and been following the Hawks this year too, for a hockey fan its amazing!

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Is this a case of if something sounds to good to be true?

Basically yes it is to good to be true. If you want to watch film & TV in HD quality, you're better off using torrents or paying for it. Re sports it is better than nothing but not as good as people here are making out. The live TV is pretty poor & unreliable.

I'm not sure why people would say to get rid of BT/Virgin/Sky for Kodi.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Basically yes it is to good to be true. If you want to watch film & TV in HD quality, you're better off using torrents or paying for it. Re sports it is better than nothing but not as good as people here are making out. The live TV is pretty poor & unreliable.

So chromecast and sticking with torrents would be a better bet.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd agree that torrents are a better bet for HD quality movies, provided you know exactly what you want to watch.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011

Well, your set up may not be working as good as others but its perfect for me. I watch all of my tv shows and movies from Kodi on the fire stick now, have no issues not finding a show or an episode and all stream with no buffering in HD. With regards to sport, I don't have sky sports so I use NBCSN for the premiership games, again HD quality and no buffering, stream readily available when I want it. Then use the Phoenix app for Redzone and NHL. You could quite easily replace your tv package with Kodi if you add the right sources and add ons. I have a 100mb BB package with virgin too so that may help with mine.

Ive got from torrents daily with my Pc and a NAS to my TV to Fire stick with Kodi and have the same outcome, I just don't have to turn my PC on now.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Does the Apple device have to be jailbroken and have Cydia to allow Kodi to be installed ? ( I know nothing except that is what you tube videos seem to imply...)

Cheers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a look at Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation last night, but the quality wasn't quite the best, it was slightly pixelated so I'll wait a bit for a better stream to come up on that one. I watched Southpaw instead in perfect HD, not so much as a moments buffering. Then flicked over to BT Sport for the live Cubs game (in SD, but still absolutely fine). I honestly wish I'd got this thing years ago.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Consensus seems to be that the firestick works well, but not too many as enthusiastic about the Android TV boxes. I would prefer an Android box but would welcome any more comments from those that have them

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Think it was called Fubopro, im at work socant post a link but look for that, was only 6.99 per month anyway! I downloaded hola the chrome extension that is a free vpn and watched the ipswich game on there in HD and no buffering.
Cool will try .... Had seen that but again looked like it only had one bein channel

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here