Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Instead of calleri..?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Rhodes may score well in this division but why has no top tier team gone near him? He has no resale value at his age

I actually agree with all you say - far better value elsewhere. Rohodes is actually only 25 though, so can't agree that he'd have no resale value.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Rhodes would be a quality signing for us but it's such an awful lot of money I really think we could invest better. Having said that Calleri would also be a massive risk. It kind of feels like sticking all our eggs in one basket with either. (Not that I think Rhodes is a viable option anyway.) Imagine if we signed either and they struggled to adapt to our team, style, or the championship (In Calleri's case) or god forbid they were injured by February.
I agree we still need that little something up front but what we have at the moment has got us to the top of the pile, if Hemed could find some form, Bobby continues to regain match fitness and Baldock sticks at it, I'm certain the goals will fly in. I also recon Elvis will come good for us given a chance, very good i'm hoping.
My prediction is we'll sign another striker in January, probably from abroad and it'll be someone that none of us have mentioned before, someone most probably haven't heard of, so we can all watch his youtube highlights and declare how we've seen him play for years and how marvellous he is until he goes 5 without scoring and we find ourselves here again.
Of course I could be wrong and we could get Ulloa back, albeit unlikely, (As likely as Rhodes maybe) think he'd get a shit-ton with our midfield this season.
At least we're not here with our only two options being COG and CMS.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think the club are after Ulloa, loan or transfer. People on this thread are just suggesting possible other transfer targets instead of Calleri.

But you see my point?
No idea what the club is up to - my comment was based on talk on this thread which seemed to me to be mostly about loaning him (or borrowing him, should I say) rather than actually buying him back. And the point I was disagreeing with you on was the idea that now that he's gone, Ulloa wasn't that good, really. Yes he was - he scored goals!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
No idea what the club is up to - my comment was based on talk on this thread which seemed to me to be mostly about loaning him (or borrowing him, should I say) rather than actually buying him back. And the point I was disagreeing with you on was the idea that now that he's gone, Ulloa wasn't that good, really. Yes he was - he scored goals!

When Ulloa was sold. Many here thought we'd made a bargain. Very much rose tinted glasses now that he's gone.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Personally. Im still in the Jordan Rhodes camp. Would cost silly money but is as close as a guarantee that you will find in the championship. A genuine 20 goal a season striker.
He is 25 and coming to his peak. If he has any ambition to play in the premiership he must realise that his future lies away from Ewood Park.
So you pay 15m plus 2m a year in wages(23m over 4 years) and you get to the premiership and the big pot of money(minimum of 130m).
Calleri et al are totally untried in the championship and might not make it.
Not my money to spend.
In Tony We Trust

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Personally. Im still in the Jordan Rhodes camp. Would cost silly money but is as close as a guarantee that you will find in the championship. A genuine 20 goal a season striker.
He is 25 and coming to his peak. If he has any ambition to play in the premiership he must realise that his future lies away from Ewood Park.
So you pay 15m plus 2m a year in wages(23m over 4 years) and you get to the premiership and the big pot of money(minimum of 130m).
Calleri et al are totally untried in the championship and might not make it.
Not my money to spend.
In Tony We Trust

Glad you're not the chairman.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A good question. Still looking for an original thought out there ???

Proven goalscorers are outside of our budget. I think we are looking for an unknown with potential.

Definitely not an ageing journeyman on high wages.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Rhodes would be the biggest outlay but the least risk as would score a shed load and well proven. Lambert again would score for fun and well proven but on 50k + a week for the wrong Albion could only ever be a loan until the end of the season with a weekly contribution from WBA. Same with Leo. My money would be on the Argentinian Johnny C. He's Young, powerful and flamboyant in front of goal with a pedigree of playing for one of the most famous clubs in the world. Enough said. You know what you got to do Tony, oh and bring his creative midfield mate with him as well as we will probably need the creative cover.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Glad you're not the chairman.

You never know he might surprise you. I think 15m is way too much. I think prices for players in the championship as a whole are getting ridiculous.
We are all playing fantasy football here. (Except TB!)
The point is, there is not another striker, here or abroad that could virtually guarantee 20+ goals a season in the championship. 151 goals in his last 265 games for 2 very average teams.
Maybe he is content to sit at Blackburn and collect his money. He could easily have sulked after the Boro bid was rejected (he expressed displeasure) in the summer but has carried on that scoring trend.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
You never know he might surprise you. I think 15m is way too much. I think prices for players in the championship as a whole are getting ridiculous.
We are all playing fantasy football here. (Except TB!)
The point is, there is not another striker, here or abroad that could virtually guarantee 20+ goals a season in the championship. 151 goals in his last 265 games for 2 very average teams.
Maybe he is content to sit at Blackburn and collect his money. He could easily have sulked after the Boro bid was rejected (he expressed displeasure) in the summer but has carried on that scoring trend.

Lets say we didn't get promoted, we'd have spent £17 million plus the loss we are already making in this division which is around £8m per season I believe. Rhodes wouldn't have a lot of sell on value due to the fact he would probably be on the highest wages of his career if he joined us so would be pretty reluctant to leave. Calleri on the other hand is still a young player and could quite easily attract bigger clubs if he did well for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here