Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Y Ddraig Goch

Sep 28, 2011
I'm toying with the idea of the Snowdonia half next month whilst still fit from Brighton Marathon. Have you done it? Assume you live up here too?

No from N Wales originally I travel up to do it. Done the full twice before 2012 & 2014. Been lucky with the weather both times.

Not done the half, looked at it last year Rhedeg so some good races up there.

Last edited:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Marathon & Ultras updates

Thanks for the updates so far. I'll keep a table of how many marathons/ultras each person has ran & when your next one will be. Will be helpful for motivation, advice, meet ups etc:

TotallyFreaked: 2 - London April 2015
dazzer6666: 37 - Three Forts May 2015
Steve Foster: 85 - Bewl reservoir May 2015
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016

Anyone else out there entered any marathons/ultras & if so, let me know how many you have previously done

:rave:

Three Forts in May
NDW 50 16th May
Worthing 10k June
SDW 100 ( waiting list) june
Lunatic Marathon july
Downslink or Beachy Head in October

Resting sore left upper foot ligaments after running down from Mill road to waterhall too quick or something wednesday night. Hobbled the last 10 miles home.. is a good reminder to look after the feet!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Three Forts in May
NDW 50 16th May
Worthing 10k June
SDW 100 ( waiting list) june
Lunatic Marathon july
Downslink or Beachy Head in October

Resting sore left upper foot ligaments after running down from Mill road to waterhall too quick or something wednesday night. Hobbled the last 10 miles home.. is a good reminder to look after the feet!

If you're on the wait list for SDW100 I'd work on the basis you'll get in.....everyone usually does. If you want any inside info in this pm me......

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
If you're on the wait list for SDW100 I'd work on the basis you'll get in.....everyone usually does. If you want any inside info in this pm me......

Cheers dazzer will do.. yeah im looking at the 50 as being a decent training run with final prep on kit, food and race strategy etc etc.. ive been training really well since beachy, but the foot has knocked my confidence a bit..but its clearing up. I guess though hobbling will be part of the game/process in getting the job done! im going to take it relatively easy until the 3 forts and use that as part of one my last back to backs..

How you feeling about the sdw?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers dazzer will do.. yeah im looking at the 50 as being a decent training run with final prep on kit, food and race strategy etc etc.. ive been training really well since beachy, but the foot has knocked my confidence a bit..but its clearing up. I guess though hobbling will be part of the game/process in getting the job done! im going to take it relatively easy until the 3 forts and use that as part of one my last back to backs..

How you feeling about the sdw?

Guess key is not overdoing it until it's properly fixed ?
Anything much over marathon distance for most of us includes a lot of walking anyway. I've got specific sessions from my coach on 'fast hiking', particularly uphill - he thinks it's the secret to doing decent 50/100 times, not the running bit (for us mid-pack plodders anyway)

Feeling more positive after the SDW50 because it went way better than I expected, finished feeling fairly ok and paced it well, 2nd half not much slower than the first. Didn't really feel like turning round and going all the way back to the start though ! Still not 100% sure I'll make the start (just lack of confidence and worry about injuries given my age/record) but booked my hotel in Winchester yesterday [emoji3]

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Not been on NSC since Sunday. Absolutely loved the day, got a new PB of 5.14.13 (target was 5 hours so looks like I will have to do another!) . For the first time managed to keep going for the whole marathon, no walking at all which I was really proud of. The support was amazing and this time round I was really able to "enjoy" the event. Soaked in the atmosphere in the last 3 miles, saw loads of mates and every cheer and every call of a name spurred me on. The live bands were all fab, I love Brighton!

Not sure when the next one will be, usually wait 2 years as by then forgotten the pain from mile 18-26.2! Definitely plan at least one more and would like to do Brighton one more time when I am 50! (46 at the moment) Possibly looking at Budapest October 2016!

26 miles.jpg

Me at mile 26, just the final few yards! Raised £1,959.33 plus £430.13 Gift Aid (so £2,389.46) from my generous mates for the Martlets Hospice.

https://www.justgiving.com/MarkRaven2015

Hats off to all that ran, all that cheered people on, those that donated and especially those that volunteer to stand for hours stewarding etc ! Love you all :)

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done Mr was Blobby. I ran my first Brighton for the Martlets who had just looked after my Mum brilliantly. My friends were nowhere near as generous as yours, bl**dy tight wads, but we got a good cheque for them.

Not been on NSC since Sunday. Absolutely loved the day, got a new PB of 5.14.13 (target was 5 hours so looks like I will have to do another!) . For the first time managed to keep going for the whole marathon, no walking at all which I was really proud of. The support was amazing and this time round I was really able to "enjoy" the event. Soaked in the atmosphere in the last 3 miles, saw loads of mates and every cheer and every call of a name spurred me on. The live bands were all fab, I love Brighton!

Not sure when the next one will be, usually wait 2 years as by then forgotten the pain from mile 18-26.2! Definitely plan at least one more and would like to do Brighton one more time when I am 50! (46 at the moment) Possibly looking at Budapest October 2016!

View attachment 64702

Me at mile 26, just the final few yards! Raised £1,959.33 plus £430.13 Gift Aid (so £2,389.46) from my generous mates for the Martlets Hospice.

https://www.justgiving.com/MarkRaven2015

Hats off to all that ran, all that cheered people on, those that donated and especially those that volunteer to stand for hours stewarding etc ! Love you all :)

Well done fella. You look as if you are enjoying yourself. What a fantastic sum to have raised for the Martletts. I ran in my Martletts vest this year too. Great charity & people who do fantastic work.

So how many marathons have you done now (for the hall of fame?) & let us know when you have booked the next one

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Well done fella. You look as if you are enjoying yourself. What a fantastic sum to have raised for the Martletts. I ran in my Martletts vest this year too. Great charity & people who do fantastic work.

So how many marathons have you done now (for the hall of fame?) & let us know when you have booked the next one

3 Marathons done (Brighton 2011 London 2013 and Brighton 2015)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The Brighton Marathon was shown on Channel 4 on Saturday:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/triathlon-endurance-events/on-demand/61801-001

Just a little shout of appreciation for anyone who was out and shouted names of runners as we came past, you really have no idea how much that helps, particularly for us slower runners.
I've just realised who you are!
That's a cool name. It is possible that people weren't shouting out for you though.

Thanks for the updates so far. I'll keep a table of how many marathons/ultras each person has ran & when your next one will be. Will be helpful for motivation, advice, meet ups etc:

Y Ddraig Goch: 3 - Snowdonia Oct 2015
Herr Tubthumper: 4 Chicago Oct 2016
Mr Blobby: 3

Anyone else out there entered any marathons/ultras & if so, let me know how many you have previously done

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton

Brighton marathon 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I've entered Isle of Wight marathon in October, having opted for the 10k, not the marathon in Brighton. I've previously done London once and Brighton twice, and am signed up for the latter next year.

Looking forward to the challenge of training for an Autumn – not Spring – marathon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here