Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Opening league game now Friday night: (vs Forest, 7th Aug, 7.45pm)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can't say really [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] seeing as how I only live down the road. But as your location currently shows as Bristol, I'd have thought that a switch from Saturday afternoon to Friday night might prove to be at least a bit annoying aye? Besides, this switch was floated a fair number of days back (by you?) while both clubs boards maintained the game was going to be Saturday 3pm. How many folks made arrangements on the basis of both clubs info when the good folks of NSC always knew the game was odds-on to be switched? Same as NSC users have inside info on trains that will be cancelled that the general train-using public don't have access to.

Further proof, should any be needed, that NSC can be a force for good, as well as evil.

I'm not in Bristol any more, but even if I were, I'd certainly appreciate that travelling 175 miles for home games is very much an edge case and, as such, wouldn't expect me and such sorts to be much of a consideration when it comes to these things. I lived in bristol for c13 years so I've seen a reasonable amount of this. Invariably I'd console myself that it would mean saving a fair bit of cash on petrol or the train which I could spend in the pub watching the game.

I repeat what I said above, and I'm trying not to be too harsh about this, if anyone did make voluntary travel plans before the Sky fixtures were announced, they were a little bit foolhardy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I alone in preferring this for the following reason - it's mid-summer, so Friday night football means Saturday can be spent on the beach?

Come on, what's not to like?

You get to see the Albion AND Pogue in his Speedos! Win, win! Or defeat, win maybe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Am I alone in preferring this for the following reason - it's mid-summer, so Friday night football means Saturday can be spent on the beach?

Come on, what's not to like?

I'm neither one way or the other, but there is certainly big appeal in getting over to Brighton early on a sunny Friday afternoon for beers, watching the game as the sun goes down, maybe a few more beers after and then still having the whole weekend free.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Either that or the Football league clubs get together and tell SKY to piss off or up the ante.

It was never disclosed but most analysts concluded that when the contract was renewed with Sky last year the size of the deal actually decreased.
Sadly the football league and the Albion aren't in a strong bargaining position unlike that other league in the promised land.

And Agreed. Albion (still) have the most or one of the most lot of STHs so TV fixtures cause us more disruption than most. . But agree with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that a Friday during the summer school holidays is as good as it can be.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Moving the Ipswich game in December is a right annoyance. Gone from a bank holiday (yes I know travel isisues etc etc) to a Tuesday night game.

Nearly always a Saturday service on Bank Holiday so not too bad. It's usually some kind of reduced service on the "normal" days between xmas and New Year anyway. A 1945 k.o actually makes it harder to get to for Ipswich fans and log distance Albion fans.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Really? You'd have booked those things before the Sky fixtures were announced?

(I have every sympathy for those that do have money wasted when fixtures get changed at short notice.)

Not this season but previous seasons as the advance fairs are really cheap but non refundable
Lost a few quid last year due to fixture changes and it was a major factor really for not renewing this year

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not this season but previous seasons as the advance fairs are really cheap but non refundable
Lost a few quid last year due to fixture changes and it was a major factor really for not renewing this year

I can understand that happening mid-season for the reason you state. It's the sort of gamble that is worth taking, but for the first game of the season?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But agree with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that a Friday during the summer school holidays is as good as it can be.

Fair enough :shrug:. Obviously having a job that you have to leave at 5pm or book a half days leave to cross two thirds of the way across the South of England, school holidays or not school holidays, to make a 7.45 weekday kick-off is not a big issue, Respect! :bowdown:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair enough :shrug:. Obviously having a job that you have to leave at 5pm or book a half days leave to cross two thirds of the way across the South of England, school holidays or not school holidays, to make a 7.45 weekday kick-off is not a big issue, Respect! :bowdown:

I work in London. Getting back to the Albion for 7.45 KOs is a right pain.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Does the club really have any choice - does anyone actually know?

Regardless, in the big scheme of game rearrangements, Saturday to Friday night (within the school holidays) is about as good as it gets. There are always going to be some people who miss out, and some others who 'gain' by seeing a game they otherwise thought they would miss, but overall Saturday to Friday isn't too bad, is it?

I can only answer from my own perspective. I have 5 season tickets - 2 adult and 3 child (ages 8,6 and 2). Saturday means all go, Friday means at best one adult and 2 children (sometimes one child). So 2 tickets don't get used.

Midweek means at best one adult and one child get used.

Last year, couldn't give tickets away most times.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I work in London. Getting back to the Albion for 7.45 KOs is a right pain.

How about if you lived in DEVON? On what level of sanity would you willingly give the club your money for the season in the full knowledge that they'll jerk you around at short notice on the whim of Sky. Personally i'd tell the club to swivel and book games (and only hand over money) at short notice that fitted in with MY plans. Only way they'll learn to care what constitutes a 'club'.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
How about if you lived in DEVON? On what level of sanity would you willingly give the club your money for the season in the full knowledge that they'll jerk you around at short notice on the whim of Sky. Personally i'd tell the club to swivel and book games (and only hand over money) at short notice that fitted in with MY plans. Only way they'll learn to care what constitutes a 'club'.

I live in Devon and we got stung too badly last year so no chance of us renewing this year

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nearly always a Saturday service on Bank Holiday so not too bad. It's usually some kind of reduced service on the "normal" days between xmas and New Year anyway. A 1945 k.o actually makes it harder to get to for Ipswich fans and log distance Albion fans.

Most of the country normally has some kind of rail engineering works going on in that gap between Christmas and New Year so a bus replacement service can bugger up plans too.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
One of the reasons we didn't renew for this season
Would have been a pre booked train ticket wasted and a game paid for wasted

I shouldn't buy a season ticket when we get to the Premier League then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

We aren't unique in agreeing to Skys demands...do you know of many clubs who have refused them? ...As regards to those who travel long distances they have my respect and how they make midweek games beats me.
On a personal note moving to Friday makes life easier for me as i just make a 3 o'clock kick off with minutes to spare and lose half days earnings...but as a preference ..3 o'clock on a Saturday every time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here