Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club lose Bennett's Field

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You don't have to stand in queue, you can pay extra for the special buses. Get straight on the bus at the end of the match and away you go.
Me I will probably cycle again, for me that works. Get some exercise and I'm not relying on any transport, of course it's crappy in the Winter, but I don't have to rush like a mad man at the end.

You don't need to rush at the end, just leave 10 mins early to be first in the queue.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I phoned the 1901 phone line following the email and the guy on the phone said the disabled parking will still be in Bennett's field. The area of the first three rows are not under Mr Bennett's ownership - ask to speak to brad who is the 1901 club customer services chap for confirmation

many thanks for that

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I bet the EU subsidy for leaving B field fallow is a tidy sum and without knowing the figures we don't know how greedy he was being, it could be the club cutting back further as they can squeeze the Uni parking and a lot of people in 1901 moved to the uni anyway. I'm guessing he was only getting 5k a year for it and the club need that extra parking to sell use of the Amex during the week. I was told the club needed every sq ft used 24/7 365 to make the Amex viable..

nit having B field could make hosting concerts more difficult too.

From a landowner's/farmer's point of view you have to consider the EU subsidy for leaving a field fallow could be a big fat zero from 2018 onwards if a referendum on leaving delivers a YES result.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I bet the EU subsidy for leaving B field fallow is a tidy sum and without knowing the figures we don't know how greedy he was being, it could be the club cutting back further as they can squeeze the Uni parking and a lot of people in 1901 moved to the uni anyway. I'm guessing he was only getting 5k a year for it and the club need that extra parking to sell use of the Amex during the week. I was told the club needed every sq ft used 24/7 365 to make the Amex viable..

nit having B field could make hosting concerts more difficult too.

They are only permitted to stage just one concert per year, so not a major consideration.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well done to the club. TB/PB are obviously not willing to pay over the odds for any club expenses, not just transfers/wages.

I predict a deal will be done, Mr Bennett will surely realise something is better than nothing - especially if he hasn't negotiated access rights. Then it's just a case of rushing through the planning before the season kicks off.

So when a club offers less for a player than we think they're worth and turn down the deal, only to later agree an improved deal that's well done TB/PB

When we offer a figure for use of a car park that is turned down but later on offer a higher one that is accepted that's well done TB/PB.

Not sure I've got the logic of that one ???

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
[Official Site] IMPORTANT SEASONAL PARKING INFORMATION

The following letter has been sent to all 1901 Club members:
The club regrets to announce that from the 2014/15 season 1901 Club members will no longer be able to park in the Bennett’s Field Car Park for home matches. Members will continue to receive their parking entitlement on the University of Sussex campus - which was under the original terms of membership.
Bennett's Field was a late, temporary arrangement put in place to give the club enough spaces to meet planning requirements, while the Bridge Car Park was converted.
Club officials have been unable to reach a realistic agreement with the landowner for the continuing rental of the field, after the initial three-year deal expired at the end of last season.
Executive director Martin Perry explained, “We appreciate this news will come as a blow to many supporters who have enjoyed parking on the Bennett’s Field site. It may be that in the future we are able to return to Bennett’s Field, but in the meantime we will put the original plans back in place to provide parking for our 1901 Club members at the University of Sussex.
“We apologise for any inconvenience this will cause.
“We will still fully comply with our planning obligations related to the number of parking spaces we have to provide on a match day even though Bennett's Field is no longer available to us.”
Parking for 1901 Club Platinum and Gold members will now be at Sussex University, there will be a shuttle bus service in operation from the University car parks to the coach park at the stadium to assist members.
1901 Club members who are entitled to disabled parking will continue to have access to their existing spaces at either Bennett’s Field or Sussex University.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...l-Site-IMPORTANT-SEASONAL-PARKING-INFORMATION

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bennett getting £5k a year from the club? You're out by a massive margin.
Come on even if you can't say, shirley you can 'allude' a little more precisely.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Conversely, if now the huge Amex is next door he may have the nod that he can build on it himself vastly increasing its value as a plot

After the initial shock of reading about this, the above was also my initial reaction. Maybe the owner is wondering what he can sell this parcel of land for, with planning permission for....But surely access is an issue, as he has no access to it without the club's permission?

How does this affect the hotel plans I wonder?

Crazy situation imo

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The club did say there was going to be a working party to look at transport during the close season......

Appreciate it's low down he list of priorities, but still waiting and the season is three weeks away.....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Many multiples of £5k per year was already being paid and he wanted nearly 4 times that.
Blimey.

So he was getting a pooh load of cash for doing nothing.
But wanted a pooh load of cash x 4 for doing nothing.

Blimey if the club ever released the details the Albion could be the first club charged with being 'unable to control their fans' over a car park :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here