Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's what all polls published since their last vote and also since Brexit have all pointed towards the majority wanting to STILL stay in the Union. Add to that the fact that oil is vastly down on the price at the last referendum, then I think you are way off.

Polls eh, I think we know what to make of those - 18 months time, they'll vote to leave, certain of that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't think so, if Brexit was the icing on the cake as far as their will for a second (independence) referendum, the part of this judgement that dealt with devolved administration is the cherry on the icing on that cake. Suspect there will be a second go within 18 months and they will win handsomely.

Not a chance. Given that the last referendum had the SNP banking everything on very dodgy oil revenues - they were quoting £8 billion p.a. and the total for last year was just £60m. Add to that running a £15bn deficit and their share of UK debt AND with the UK undoubtedly invoking Article 50 before a Scottish referendum, Scotland would have to apply for EU membership with a backdrop of effectively being bankrupt as soon as they achieve independence and a currency unchained from Sterling that would almost certainly place it at the same level as second world nations. Oh, and there's no way that Spain or Belgium would even consider having Scotland in the EU even if Scotland could meet the financial requirements - which it can't.

The SNP are the ultimate talking shop and they know it. They haven't even got the balls to use their own powers which they've had for 20 years to raise income and corporation tax because then they would have to act like a party in charge and answer for their decisions rather than blame Brexit and the Tories for every woe to befall that nation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't understand how when 60% of people DIDNT't vote (remain and those who didn't vote)

those who didn't cast a vote don't count, they had their opportunity to do so, and you have no right to add them to your side of the argument.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
those who didn't cast a vote don't count, they had their opportunity to do so, and you have no right to add them to your side of the argument.

So 'the people' only include those who voted and those who didn't vote don't count as people? Righto.

As I said, I have no argument that the majority of people that did vote voted to leave. What I do argue is, how it can be claimed to be the 'will of the people' when the majority of the electorate didn't vote for it.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Care to have a BIG wager on that if you're so certain?

Not a chance. Given that the last referendum had the SNP banking everything on very dodgy oil revenues - they were quoting £8 billion p.a. and the total for last year was just £60m. Add to that running a £15bn deficit and their share of UK debt AND with the UK undoubtedly invoking Article 50 before a Scottish referendum, Scotland would have to apply for EU membership with a backdrop of effectively being bankrupt as soon as they achieve independence and a currency unchained from Sterling that would almost certainly place it at the same level as second world nations. Oh, and there's no way that Spain or Belgium would even consider having Scotland in the EU even if Scotland could meet the financial requirements - which it can't.

The SNP are the ultimate talking shop and they know it. They haven't even got the balls to use their own powers which they've had for 20 years to raise income and corporation tax because then they would have to act like a party in charge and answer for their decisions rather than blame Brexit and the Tories for every woe to befall that nation.

They'll go, the political landscape is changing rapidly, Scotland will not want to be part of a UKIP infused Westminster led, post EU UK. Europe will welcome them with open arms as one in the eye for the UK.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch

I don't know what Janette Krankie is going to do once all the brexit noise has settled. She bloody loves the limelight, all she does is go on BBC make a load of noise about how she is going to shake it all up, does nothing and then you'll see her pop up again a month down the line making a load of noise...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So 'the people' only include those who voted and those who didn't vote don't count as people? Righto.

As I said, I have no argument that the majority of people that did vote voted to leave. What I do argue is, how it can be claimed to be the 'will of the people' when the majority of the electorate didn't vote for it.

If they wanted to be counted they should have voted. The majority won of those that did. No vote no voice

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I don't understand how when 60% of people DIDNT't vote (remain and those who didn't vote) for Brexit it can be called the will of the people. Having 37% of the electorate vote out isn't exactly the will of the people is it.

But the non voters are never taken into any other calculations, so why add them now to back up a lost argument ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Don't vote. Don't count. Those that didn't vote should hang their heads in shame.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
If they wanted to be counted they should have voted. The majority won of those that did. No vote no voice

Again, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing against this 'will of the people' tag line that is based on 37% of the electorate. I do find it amazing though how dismissive people are of roughly 13 million, well I would say people but apparently they aren't because they don't matter because they didn't vote.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
But the non voters are never taken into any other calculations, so why add them now to back up a lost argument ?

Again, I reiterate, I'm not contesting the outcome of the vote just the tag line of 'will of the people'.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Again, that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing against this 'will of the people' tag line that is based on 37% of the electorate. I do find it amazing though how dismissive people are of roughly 13 million, well I would say people but apparently they aren't because they don't matter because they didn't vote.

In this instance, if they didn't vote, no, they don't matter. Should have got off their bloody arses.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They'll go, the political landscape is changing rapidly, Scotland will not want to be part of a UKIP infused Westminster led, post EU UK. Europe will welcome them with open arms as one in the eye for the UK.

But they won't! For a start Scotland will have to wait years to join the EU, it will have to meet budgetary requirements which it would not be able to do outside both the UK and EU and finally, as I've said - Spain and Belgium would veto their membership. They said the same at the last referendum because neither country wants to encourage separatists to cede within their own nations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...o-an-independent-Scotlands-EU-membership.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/17/spain-independent-scotland-years-eu-membership

http://www.scotsman.com/news/spanish-prime-minister-says-spain-will-block-scots-eu-deal-1-4164935

larus

Er, no. Wrong again. Spain will block any application from Scotland because of the issue with Catalan wanting independence. If you're going to quote things, at least have a basis for your opinions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here