Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going to New York

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been about 3 years since I went to New York now, love the place.

Check out Bubbys for pancake breakfast.
Balthazaar for a bit of celeb spotting in Soho. Decent Eggs Benedict Worth booking.
Keens for steak I agree, particular a porterhouse to share.
Blue Smoke for BBQ food.
Buddakan is good for Chinese. Very upmarket, and almost nightclub like inside, but really good food.
Robataya for Japanese. You all sit round the grill and they cook in front of you. It is quite pricey and portions relatively small, but very tasty.
Momofuku for slightly different chinese. Good lunch menu at 'Ssam' - Duck & rice very good.

Some of this might be out of date, but some of my faves.

No. You go to Fette Sau in Williamsburg for BBQ

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Pershing Square is the one!! Pancakes are awesome, as is the Lox bagel.....

It was a gloriously warm April when I went...so walking was the only option. You see so much more that way!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well got a "Sorry" email from New York Runner, so no marathon this year.

So need to find another excuse to go.......not that I really need one. I just need to get back to the Blind Tiger Ale House :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well got a "Sorry" email from New York Runner, so no marathon this year.

So need to find another excuse to go.......not that I really need one. I just need to get back to the Blind Tiger Ale House :)

That's a shame. I ran it last year and it's by far my favourite marathon. Certainly my toughest course as well.

And yes, Blind Tiger is a glorious place. In fact, me and die Frau are now plotting our own Autumn NYC visit and I just know she needs to hear me droning on about beer in the Blind Tiger.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Come on Bozza, neck a Lagunitas IPA and tell us what you think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Check out DBA New York in the East Village, I was there Sunday and they have an enviable selection of Craft Beers. If you can try Wandering Star, it's brewed by a guy from the UK and is very quaffable.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Depending on the ages of your children, FAO Schwarz is worth a visit - it's the toy store where they filmed Tom Hanks on the giant piano in the film "Big".

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
The NYC Craft Beer Knowledge is here:
Gotham Imbiber NYC Beer Guide
Main site here: Gotham Imbiber
Brought to you by Alex Hall, formerly of the Evening Star, nowadays of Wandering Star Brewery. I was lucky enough to be one of a group of six from West Sussex shown around some of the best and newest beer places in Manhattan and Brooklyn by Alex last September. Apart from the Blind Tiger, stand-outs in my memory were three in Hell's Kitchen: Pony Bar, Beer Culture and Valhalla, plus Barcade W 24th St (didn't make it to the original in Brooklyn) for arcade machine and beer action and 508 Gastrobrewery amazing back st restaurant with superb brewery in the cellar. Brewer Chris Cuzme is a real enthusiast and anglophile.
In Brooklyn (Greenpoint + Williamsburg), DBA which had an albion shirt on the wall donated by Alex, plus cask ale and fresh fruit and veg for sale is sadly gone but sister pub in Manhattan lives on. Also Spuyten Duyvil, Torst (Evil Twin) and Keg & Lantern brew pub.
Bundles of beery fun amongst that lot.

Didn't see Lyndhurst's post whilst checking facts for mine. Yes we're talking about the same person, and he's an Albion fan from Brighton as well as being a beer guru.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Lagunitas very good. Even more so because the barman bought it. My swift pint is now numbering five and my plan to visit The Spotted Pig has been abandoned.
That's the absolute beauty of NYC, don't have plans, just mooch, eat, drink, mooch some more, then drink again.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Going to the US on Friday and have two days to spend in Manhattan.
I'll have a proper read through this later in the week and write a few things down.

Going to be pretty tough to cram in as much NYC as I can in only two days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here