Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom refuses to bow to fans' calls to axe boss Hyypia

I still think he's going.
The club would have said SOMETHING this week if he was staying.

Mmmmm...might have got fans' backs up more? A lengthy Barber editorial on the subject, eh?

If the strategy is give him some firepower in the Jan window to transform our crap squad, if I was the board I would be keeping my head down on Sami and just working overtime on players

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sensible posts from Chailey Jem and Guinness Boy, a good mix of reality and cautious optimism.

I don't have blind faith in the Board but they have managed to get most things right over the last 3-4 seasons. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the rapid pace of change and so many positives that have been achieved. I don't suppose they bargained for Poyet or Garcia's departures, nor did they expect Hyypia to be so ineffective. There was an element of risk with each appointment and while two of them did well, Hyypia has now fallen short.

The test is how the Board reacts to our current predicament. Outwardly there are no signs of panic. Maybe they see this as just some short term pain and will keep the faith with Hyypia. Maybe they have a plan 'B' in the pipeline. Tony Bloom is both a fan and a business man, so I can't see him allowing so much good work to unravel and risk relegation.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Sensible posts from Chailey Jem and Guinness Boy, a good mix of reality and cautious optimism.

I don't have blind faith in the Board but they have managed to get most things right over the last 3-4 seasons. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the rapid pace of change and so many positives that have been achieved. I don't suppose they bargained for Poyet or Garcia's departures, nor did they expect Hyypia to be so ineffective. There was an element of risk with each appointment and while two of them did well, Hyypia has now fallen short.

The test is how the Board reacts to our current predicament. Outwardly there are no signs of panic. Maybe they see this as just some short term pain and will keep the faith with Hyypia. Maybe they have a plan 'B' in the pipeline. Tony Bloom is both a fan and a business man, so I can't see him allowing so much good work to unravel and risk relegation.
the plan b is bloom to give hyypia money in jan to bring in the players to make us better and change it around

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I still think he's going.
The club would have said SOMETHING this week if he was staying.

They have though, haven't they? Tony Bloom on the train back from Derby - he's staying. Emails from Paui Barber just last week (I've seen one though it was forwarded to me not to me) - he's staying and there has been no value gained from the other teams in the bottom 10 who changed manager doing so. Andy Naylor - well briefed for a change. I think we're stuck with the guy and it genuinely worries me.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
They have though, haven't they? Tony Bloom on the train back from Derby - he's staying. Emails from Paui Barber just last week (I've seen one though it was forwarded to me not to me) - he's staying and there has been no value gained from the other teams in the bottom 10 who changed manager doing so. Andy Naylor - well briefed for a change. I think we're stuck with the guy and it genuinely worries me.
i am worried for the club if hyypia stays

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
the plan b is bloom to give hyypia money in jan to bring in the players to make us better and change it around

In my post 'keep the faith with Hyypia' is plan 'A'. Whereas plan 'B' is a new manager.

I agree that plan 'A' might include finding new players for Hyypia in January. However I think many on NSC are very wary of this scenario, given our recent track record with signings and how they have performed for Sami. There is no evidence that Sami is doing a better job with them, if anything our form has declined. The league table and our recent performances are rather damning.

Maybe the board know something that we don't that is enabling them to keep the faith with Sami. Silence from the Board is allowing many to infer stubbornness, borne out of not wanting to admit they got his appointment wrong and not wishing to pay off his 3 year contract.

If plan 'A' is the scenario then it will require a leap of faith by the fans (and from the playing squad, judging by their faces on Friday night). We will have to dig deep and hope Sami can turn it around.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
And as for Paul Barber then he's doing the job he's been asked to do. Without American Express or Nike paying for our shirts , for example, SH would have even less of an under performing squad. And fantasies that without PB of all people, that , GP would still be here with us in the prem and Buckley , Ulloa and Barnes up front knocking them in are just that, fantasies.

Not sure how true or even if they can .. if we go down Amex are looking to pull out

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If SH had signed all the new players himself I think he would have gone by now. Maybe Tony is reviewing how we sign players. Who knows Burke might go first.

This is my take on it ... I think Sami will get something of a free hand in the next transfer window without Burkes input which has been pretty poor. How much money he gets is debatable

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Sadly I think giving ho money to spend is just a waste of cash. Hope to be proved wrong, but the misuse of E Bennett and Bent suggests I am not.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
So Birmingham haven't been on a fantastic run since Rowett took over and are now well ahead of us despite being adrift when he went there. Bolton have been unbeaten at home since Lennon went there, in fact I would say onlyWigan (luckily for us) haven't picked up since changing manager as even Blackpool seem to be showing signs of life.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
Not sure how true or even if they can .. if we go down Amex are looking to pull out

Very worrying and I wouldn't be surprised if large sponsors will be looking to renegotiate if there aren't clauses in the deals regarding relegation. Would have thought that pressure from sponsors would be enough to make the board act.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
ok lets give hyypia 10million so he can save us just from relegation on the last day. so next season we'd probably have to buy messi , Ronaldo , de gea , costa and we may make the play offs! the bloke hasn't got a clue and I wouldnt trust him with my daughters dinner money. If we'd given gus 10m wed be in the premier league now.

the bottom line is if we are going to spend for gods sake give it to a decent manager

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Very worrying and I wouldn't be surprised if large sponsors will be looking to renegotiate if there aren't clauses in the deals regarding relegation. Would have thought that pressure from sponsors would be enough to make the board act.

For Sure, I have been involved with a major sponsorship and they will always come with a serious relegation clause even if in this instance where they have been our bezzie mates for a while.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
ok lets give hyypia 10million so he can save us just from relegation on the last day. so next season we'd probably have to buy messi , Ronaldo , de gea , costa and we may make the play offs! the bloke hasn't got a clue and I wouldnt trust him with my daughters dinner money. If we'd given gus 10m wed be in the premier league now.

the bottom line is if we are going to spend for gods sake give it to a decent manager

This. In spades

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It is inconceivable that Tony won't spend massively in January to insure against relegation.

As long as it is on proven talent, then there is still scope to bring in an experienced manager to rescue the season later.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
For Sure, I have been involved with a major sponsorship and they will always come with a serious relegation clause even if in this instance where they have been our bezzie mates for a while.

Which makes the whole thing even more peculiar and scary. It's ok people on here doing their little sums and saying 'if we lose x amount of ST holders going into league 1 it won't matter as player wages will be lower so we'll be quids in' - it's not just fans money we'll be losing it'll be sponsors money and it won't be easy to get them back once they've gone.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
It is inconceivable that Tony won't spend massively in January to insure against relegation.

As long as it is on proven talent, then there is still scope to bring in an experienced manager to rescue the season later.

Or he could spend far less & change the Manager now before it's too late

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I actually thought Bloom was quite ruthless when it came to sacking people.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Who spends money in January ?

Maybe get one or two decent loanees in to fire a promotion push but not many decent players are available In Jan when they are possibly joining a relegation candidate.

And who will want to join a club in disarray and sign for a manager who could be gone after the next game?

And if we had 1-2 million to spend why didn't we spend it earlier? we should have bought big earlier at once rather that waste it in bits as we did.

None of this makes sense - why bother with the training facilities and development squad if we are going to be in Div 1 next season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here