Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom - Sami is here to stay

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not only am I not surprised that Tony Bloom once again shows he is a leader of great substance, and backed Sami whilst declaring his joy and further interest in the club. I am delighted. As much as anything else because all you whingers on this thread moaning, and declaring your intention to do other things on Saturday are gutted. Would it be to much to ask that you all bugger off to Chelski and 'pretend' to be supporters there. You certainly aren't SUPPORTERS of BHA. I'll be relieved to see the back of you... I look forward to a frenzy of Bedwetters giving me 'thumbs down' I will wear them with pride. :albion2:

If we lose those fans it will be damned hard to persuade them to comeback, many of them are long suffering fans as well the ones we just cannot afford to lose but the apathy at the moment is quite shocking due to the poor performances

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Glad we are a club that BACKS rather than SACKS.

One word. Gus
Could go one further Russell. So we are not a club that backs, under Tony we have sacked two and had one walk out.

The point being, the man has had 3 months, and like most people who start a job, I would say he is come to the end of his probation period. So has he done well to this point, are the signs good for improvement in the team. Can anyone else do better? I do not believe changing a manager will necessarily get you out of trouble. However football managers are like politicians, once you have lost the confidence of the fans, you are a dead man walking. Sami is going to find it very difficult to turn opinion, even with a mid table finish. As fans will no doubt feel he has still underachieved. I agree that Sami has been dealt a bad hand, the board have to take responsibility for the mess that happened after Gus went. We have been on the back foot since. That's why we needed an experienced manager to guide the club through the transition and let's face it, the rebuilding of a team capable of challenging for the top.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
One word. Gus
Could go one further Russell. So we are not a club that backs, under Tony we have sacked two and had one walk out.

The point being, the man has had 3 months, and like most people who start a job, I would say he is come to the end of his probation period. So has he done well to this point, are the signs good for improvement in the team. Can anyone else do better? I do not believe changing a manager will necessarily get you out of trouble. However football managers are like politicians, once you have lost the confidence of the fans, you are a dead man walking. Sami is going to find it very difficult to turn opinion, even with a mid table finish. As fans will no doubt feel he has still underachieved. I agree that Sami has been dealt a bad hand, the board have to take responsibility for the mess that happened after Gus went. We have been on the back foot since. That's why we needed an experienced manager to guide the club through the transition and let's face it, the rebuilding of a team capable of challenging for the top.
Gus was sacked because of Gross Misconduct not due to his managerial skills, Slade was not a Bloom appointment.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Gus was sacked because of Gross Misconduct not due to his managerial skills, Slade was not a Bloom appointment.

It's also laughable that Gus was sacked for gross misconduct. Plenty of players and managers could be sacked for gross misconduct. The bottom line is that if they are wanted and a valuable asset, they won't be sacked.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Yes but on the basis that he performed a miracle, he was not Bloom's man in the first place so it stands to reason he would have less patience for him.

At the end of the day,he could have replaced him at the end of the season, he chose not to and gave him a contract, then sacked him due to poor results, that's not someone who backs, and how many times has a chairman backed a manager and then sacked him within weeks. As you are backing him, tell me 7 games until the transfer window opens. How many points out of 21 would Sami need for you to say, you still have faith in him

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
At the end of the day,he could have replaced him at the end of the season, he chose not to and gave him a contract, then sacked him due to poor results, that's not someone who backs, and how many times has a chairman backed a manager and then sacked him within weeks. As you are backing him, tell me 7 games until the transfer window opens. How many points out of 21 would Sami need for you to say, you still have faith in him
Even if we got relegated I think a manager needs more then a season.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
If we lose those fans it will be damned hard to persuade them to comeback, many of them are long suffering fansas well the ones we just cannot afford to lose but the apathy at the moment is quite shocking due to the poor performances

My interpretation of long suffering fans..... Standing on the pitch at the Goldstone calling for Archers head...driving back from Gillinghams crap facilities every other Saturday on a HOME game. Frequently getting soaked and frost bitten at Withdean watching players at what appeared to be half a friggin mile away.
If your lives are in ruin because your not winning you're seriously needy.

ps...thanks fer the thumbs, can you imagine the suffering I feel. :wink:

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
My interpretation of long suffering fans..... Standing on the pitch at the Goldstone calling for Archers head...driving back from Gillinghams crap facilities every other Saturday on a HOME game. Frequently getting soaked and frost bitten at Withdean watching players at what appeared to be half a friggin mile away.
If your lives are in ruin because your not winning you're seriously needy.

ps...thanks fer the thumbs, can you imagine the suffering I feel. :wink:

Thumbs was done in jest as per your comment .... Been a ST holder since 1986 but going since 76, just feel if the club alienate all the new fans we will be back to square one

Having read the whole of the interview that is in The Argus, I find it difficult to avoid the conclusion that Tony Bloom's answer to EVERY question put to him is:- "Don't worry. I've decided that this how things will be. And I am sure that everything will be OK".

This may come across as reassuring to some fans, but I have to say I'm not completely convinced.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If TB has decided to stick with Sami Hyypia and Nathan Jones - ands I'm not saying I agree or disagree - then we may as well get behind them and cheer the team on through thick and thin, and it may be mostly thin for a while. Because making ouir displeasure known certainly isn't goiung to improve results.

This season reminds me of 1970-71, when Pat Saward took over from Freddie Goodwin, who had got us in the promotion shake-up but ultimately fell short. At first we failed to kick on. Saward's team was appalling at times, and there were some dismal and almost unwatchable home draws - sounds familiar, doesn't it? - before a new loan striker (Willie Irvine) transformed the team's goalscoring prospects. He was signed on a permanent deal and the next season was one of the most thrilling in Albion history and ended in promotion. (We'll ignore what happened the season after that.) Who, though, will be this season's Willie Irvine?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
If TB has decided to stick with Sami Hyypia and Nathan Jones - ands I'm not saying I agree or disagree - then we may as well get behind them and cheer the team on through thick and thin, and it may be mostly thin for a while. Because making ouir displeasure known certainly isn't goiung to improve results.

This season reminds me of 1970-71, when Pat Saward took over from Freddie Goodwin, who had got us in the promotion shake-up but ultimately fell short. At first we failed to kick on. Saward's team was appalling at times, and there were some dismal and almost unwatchable home draws - sounds familiar, doesn't it? - before a new loan striker (Willie Irvine) transformed the team's goalscoring prospects. He was signed on a permanent deal and the next season was one of the most thrilling in Albion history and ended in promotion. (We'll ignore what happened the season after that.) Who, though, will be this season's Willie Irvine?

I agree, if Tony believes that Sami is the chap, then we are just going to have to get behind him and the team. I can't say I know anything about 1970-71 season (JLC not born then) but it just goes to show and it has been seen a number of times that sticking with the manager can be a good choice. Tony has far more to lose then me, so I trust his judgment.

I call myself a Brighton supporter, so that is what I will do, good or bad.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Must admit I am very disappointed with the first installment of the interview today. You have to ask yourself why he bothered to come out and say that nothing is going to change. Maybe he is less concerned than many about the drop in (actual) attendances. Who knows. But how many of those that are staying away are going to re-consider having read that? I just hope tomorrow offers up something more positive. The status quo cannot just drag on IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here