Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion consider bid for Preston North End striker

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can we give Monakana back to PNE as part of the deal ?

Tekanne

Feb 4, 2015
Indeed, we should be buying a successful Championship striker like Jordan Rhodes, who it's possible we could get for £15m, plus hefty wages.

... Worked so well with Baldock and CMS in the past hasn't it. Everyone knows prices for strikers across all divisions is heavily influxuated. Yes, it'll be hard to find another Ulloa type, but looking abroad would much more beneficial.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
... Worked so well with Baldock and CMS in the past hasn't it. Everyone knows prices for strikers across all divisions is heavily influxuated. Yes, it'll be hard to find another Ulloa type, but looking abroad would much more beneficial.
I was joking :facepalm:

What's influxuated?

You've made 1 post on the forum, and given me a thumbs down because you don't have a sense of humour, and you say the prices are influxuated.

Great work.

What league did Callum Wilson come from ???

So quick to write off league one players on here. Pick the right ones and it is good business.

But the ones who do well tend to have pace, some presence and finishing ability, Afobe is another in the Willson bracket. Garner is a tidy player and fine finisher but would he be blunted by quick Champ defenders is the big fear

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I still cannot believe the club watched Callum Wilson 30 times before he went to Bournemouth

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But the ones who do well tend to have pace, some presence and finishing ability, Afobe is another in the Willson bracket. Garner is a tidy player and fine finisher but would he be blunted by quick Champ defenders is the big fear

I don't know his pace rating? I didn't notice him being particularly slow in the videos.

If a player has got a footballing brain, composed, two feet, and can read his team mates next move, they are the ones we want. So I hope the players the club will be looking at are specifically targeted for these qualities.

I think if Baldock is fed quickly through the midfield, he will do well next season, and we need a similar player like Garner so they can cover each other for injuries and substitutions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The biggest issue with all our strikers last season was not their league one pedigree or lack of pace, it is the fact that none of them have ever been able to hold the ball up and bring our full backs and fast midfielders into attacking play. That's why we not only missed Ulloa so badly, but also Ashley Barnes - certainly a limited striker, but with the football intelligence and strength to allow supporting players to flourish.

So yes, Garner can score worldies, but so can Rohan Ince and even CMS. But can Garner hold the ball up for the arriving cavalry? Can he defend from deep when necessary? These are the questions we need to be asking. And that is also the sort of player who will get Baldock scoring, IMO.

Last edited:

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I watched the Colchester v PNE match last weekend and I liked what Garner gave to Preston. He strong and quick and gets in the faces of defenders. A real in your face type striker who clearly has an eye for goal but also one who can hold the ball up. I'd be pleased if went for him

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
According to that article he would improve our striking potency. So would both my dead grandmothers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I still cannot believe the club watched Callum Wilson 30 times before he went to Bournemouth

He was recommended by the Albion scouts who were tracking him but Burke didn't think he was suitable.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
If true it means we have learned nothing from last season. We don't need players from league 1.

Some players who played for us in League 1 who are doing alright

-Gordon Greer
- Ashley Barnes
- Chris Wood
- Liam Bridcutt
- Craig Noone
- Tommy Elphick
- Kaz

In our last season in League 1 we also faced George Boyd, Ricky Lambert, Adam Lalana, Jordan Rhodes and Fonte.

Let's not discount it just yet eh?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

-Gordon Greer
- Ashley Barnes
- Chris Wood
- Liam Bridcutt
- Craig Noone
- Tommy Elphick
- Kaz

In our last season in League 1 we also faced George Boyd, Ricky Lambert, Adam Lalana, Jordan Rhodes and Fonte.

Let's not forget Glenn Murray. Wasn't he 27 years old playing in league 1?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

-Gordon Greer
- Ashley Barnes
- Chris Wood
- Liam Bridcutt
- Craig Noone
- Tommy Elphick
- Kaz

Glenn Murray. Even Bobby Zamora played for us in League 1.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bournemouth were hardly promoted full of champions league players. It's more about the right players in the right positions in the right formation, with the right tactics. I pray for some inspiration from the manager and coaches. Not sure of we are going to get it but let's give him a chance next season and start moaning only if necessary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here