Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk - Refusing to play?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Damn, I edited my initial response just too late, obviously. You are, of course, entirely correct...
If only you knew how easy it would have been to convince me today was Thursday.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The situation with Dunk is that he is more than happy to stay here provided we offer him an improved contract. He has seen how much he can earn with a move to Fulham, if we're not prepared to offer similar then he wants to leave. Can hardly blame him as he will triple his wages with them, it is a financial decision. He is enjoying playing for the Albion at the moment, but he knows the money he can earn with a move. It's a shame but it's the way football works. FWIW, I think we should offer him close to what Fulham are. We'll only end up paying it for one season because he'll be off in the summer if we don't go up - and if we do go up he'll have fully deserved the pay-rise.

My source is as good as it gets. I'll verify with [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] if need be.
And in the mean time he's refusing to play?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
He looked really relaxed and cheery after the Forest result.

Cheery at the fact that he will be earning 20 grand a week very soon. At the end of the day there is no loyalty in football. People can sit there as a fan and slate him if he does go but the truth is if me or you were offered a job on 3 times the amount you were earning at your current job then you would go. If you didn't then you would be a fool. Footballers have short careers, they have to make the most of the opportunities whilst they can. I don't begrudge Dunk for wanting to leave, I just wish it was to a prem team. Fulham may be a sideways step in football terms but in financial terms it will set him up for life. Until we get the Premier League we will have to accept that we can't/won't pay top money to buy or keep our players. If however he is refusing to play then he is a ****.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
The situation with Dunk is that he is more than happy to stay here provided we offer him an improved contract. He has seen how much he can earn with a move to Fulham, if we're not prepared to offer similar then he wants to leave. Can hardly blame him as he will triple his wages with them, it is a financial decision. He is enjoying playing for the Albion at the moment, but he knows the money he can earn with a move. It's a shame but it's the way football works. FWIW, I think we should offer him close to what Fulham are. We'll only end up paying it for one season because he'll be off in the summer if we don't go up - and if we do go up he'll have fully deserved the pay-rise.

My source is as good as it gets. I'll verify with [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] if need be.

So could you confirm or deny the premise that he is refusing to play and also refused to play at Southend? If it's untrue then I agree with most of what you have said (as I posted previously anyway.) If it is true then that alters things somewhat. Like everyone else I sincerely hope it isn't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I also heard earlier this week that Dunk refused to play at Southend, and as a result was fined 2 weeks wages.

This was from a friend who works with someone who is friends with one of the players (so I have no idea how reliable this is as its 3rd or 4th hand, except that he's been right about a couple of other things, he DOES know the player, and has no reason to make this stuff up).

Greer playing 3 games in the first week of the season did strike me as odd.

Refusing to play does seem a little extreme for a player that the club has stood by in the past.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
IF he is withdrawing his "labour", then whatever the club fines him he will comfortably make back with his signing on fee with from new club. So he'll either get his move, or an improved contract. Much as the "well let him rot in the reserves" mantra might play to our desire to show who's boss, the reality is, that just ain't ever, ever gonna happen. Never does.

Players and their agents hold all the cards now. Its just a fact of modern football.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
IF he is withdrawing his "labour", then whatever the club fines him he will comfortably make back with his signing on fee with from new club. So he'll either get his move, or an improved contract. Much as the "well let him rot in the reserves" mantra might play to our desire to show who's boss, the reality is, that just ain't ever, ever gonna happen. Never does.

Players and their agents hold all the cards now. Its just a fact of modern football.

Until the clubs (note the plural) one day decide enough is enough. Nah, you're right...can't see it happening :nono:

Jimmy Grimble

And in the mean time he's refusing to play?

'Refusing' to play would be a funny way of showing that.... and would win him no friends.

Unfortunately I have no knowledge on the refusing to play count. I'd be surprised, but that's based on what I know of Dunk rather than anything else.

Gwm

Oct 25, 2011
Yes. I saw him with my own eyes.

The coach stops in hickstead to pick up players on its way up the A23. I definitely saw Dunk with the other players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I dont believe the story to be true one bit.
Dunk comes across as the type of person who is committed to the course and wouldn't strike to get a move, especially to a rival Championship club.
I'm sure the club has probably said to him he will not be going to Fulham (unless he puts a request in and they make a very good offer) but if a good offer comes in from Newcastle then it will be up to him.

First and foremost, Dunk is a professional footballer, and like any other professional, he will look to maximise his earnings from his career. Being "the type of person who is committed to the cause" is neither here nor there. He'll be a committed player to whoever pays his wages - and if someone else is offering more than BHA, then that's who he'll want to commit to.

You'd hope that his professionalism would extend to doing his very best for BHA until he moves on, but as Bridcutt has shown, that's not always how they want to play it. I was HOPING its all rumour and rubbish, which is why I didn't say anything on Wednesday morning when I first heard this. I don't usually bother posting rumours. But seeing it from another source today seems to me to have given it a bit more credence.

A real pity that it should end like this if its true. I guess we'll know by 2pm tomorrow.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Yes. I saw him with my own eyes.

The coach stops in hickstead to pick up players on its way up the A23. I definitely saw Dunk with the other players.

Cheers. I'm sure Hughton wouldn't allow a player to travel if he is refusing to play. That sends out a completely wrong signal.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Certainly not true about refusing to play Tuesday and I would doubt he'd refuse to play Saturday.

I hope this is true. As others have said, no one begrudges him the chance of earning big money, but some ways are better than others.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It would be very disappointing if this IS true.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I'll never really understand why there's such an expectation towards loyalty in football over any other place of employment, at least where it comes to trying to guess a player's mentality anyway.

It probably goes without saying that if I were offered the chance to play for the Albion I'd do it regardless of wage, but as a fan who can only dream of that happening, my perspective is somewhat screwy.

Outside of that small, highly unlikely, scenario, I've been working for the same company for a decade and can honestly say that if someone offered to triple my wages (or whatever the rumour for Dunk is) I wouldn't hesitate to take it, nor would I feel like I've betrayed the company, they've paid me for 10 years and I've done the job asked. I wouldn't withhold my labour to force the move, but then I wouldn't need to.

Even when you look at the most famous one-club men (Terry, Giggs etc) of the modern game, they've tended to be one of (if not the) highest paid players in the squad. Steven Gerrard was the same, until his club decided that he was surplus to requirements regardless of his loyalty so it can even be a two-way street from time to time.

Emotion has a part in the game, (as it should) and I wish it counted for more, but the reality is that the money will always talk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here