Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading (H) moved to Friday night now moved to TUESDAY 15TH MARCH

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It's all about the money. Every club is a prostitute to TV money I'm afraid and will whore themselves to get it.

Absolutely they will. Without TV money, a whole host of clubs are insolvent and will go out of business. Their wage bills are unsustainable without TV revenue or a hugely wealthy benefactor.
Chelsea's annual wage bill eats up 3 years of TV revenue ( existing deal )

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
FFS.
Sky, f*****g up football since 1992.

Look, nobody could have predicted the outcome,.... football stadiums in this country, and the way football clubs treated fans, was appalling. If you supported in the 70's and early 80's it was very poor indeed.. tin shacks, crumbling terraces and horse burgers.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
But not all knowing.......its Man City v Dynamo Kiev not A Madrid on Tuesday 15th (and Barca v Arsenal the next night)!

I blame Google's layout:

Screen Shot 2016-01-20 at 10.12.28.png

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Look, nobody could have predicted the outcome,.... football stadiums in this country, and the way football clubs treated fans, was appalling. If you supported in the 70's and early 80's it was very poor indeed.. tin shacks, crumbling terraces and horse burgers.

Odd that .... I much preferred those times, for a whole load of reasons (mostly associated with money)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We all preferred it as teenagers/20's because of the scuffles and the atmosphere....but as you get older, comfort comes into it as well.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Absolutely they will. Without TV money, a whole host of clubs are insolvent and will go out of business. Their wage bills are unsustainable without TV revenue or a hugely wealthy benefactor.

Just look at what happened after ITV digital collapsed. And, I would assume that was for a much lower % of income than the new deal is

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove

Agreed. The more money pumped in to football the higher the player's wages. Players won't suddenly become better with the new Sky deal that starts next year, just more overseas players will come over and footballer's wages will again increase to unsustainable levels.

Football will always run at a deficit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed. The more money pumped in to football the higher the player's wages. Players won't suddenly become better with the new Sky deal that starts next year, just more overseas players will come over and footballer's wages will again increase to unsustainable levels.

Football will always run at a deficit.

I don't think it will. At some point there will be a major financial correction, same as any financial bubble such as the housing market or the stock market. History proves that no market continues to rise forever. Crash and burn of the football market will happen at some point soon, nothing's surer.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I don't think it will. At some point there will be a major financial correction, same as any financial bubble such as the housing market or the stock market. History proves that no market continues to rise forever. Crash and burn of the football market will happen at some point soon, nothing's surer.

I don't think you can compare it with the stock market (market forces in operation) and housing (prices still rising but it will eventually stall / fall).

Football defies business logic. There will always be football owners who let their heart (and/or ego) rule their head and pump money in to football teams that will lose money. If they don't then they will soon have thousands of fans baying for them to move aside for someone with more money to throw away into the bottomless pit of football.

For it to truly crash and burn then Sky would need to slash their financial input. I don't see that happening anytime soon as people (including me) are mug enough to pay the increased costs of watching live football on TV. Even if it does fall off over here there are still significant Asian markets that Sky can still tap in to.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think you can compare it with the stock market (market forces in operation) and housing (prices still rising but it will eventually stall / fall).

Football defies business logic. There will always be football owners who let their heart (and/or ego) rule their head and pump money in to football teams that will lose money. If they don't then they will soon have thousands of fans baying for them to move aside for someone with more money to throw away into the bottomless pit of football.

For it to truly crash and burn then Sky would need to slash their financial input. I don't see that happening anytime soon as people (including me) are mug enough to pay the increased costs of watching live football on TV. Even if it does fall off over here there are still significant Asian markets that Sky can still tap in to.

Sorry, but if you think football will continue on an upward financial spiral forevermore, defying every financial bubble ever in the history of the world, then you're almost certainly, er, WRONG.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Sorry, but if you think football will continue on an upward financial spiral forevermore, defying every financial bubble ever in the history of the world, then you're almost certainly, er, WRONG.

Well yes I would be wrong if I said that. But I didn't.

I said football will always run at a deficit and that I don't see it crashing any time soon. When it eventually does crash it will still run at a deficit because the whole cycle will repeat itself.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

What is going to be interesting is how this 'battle' with BT Sport pans out, Sky have already lost Champions League, some of their Premier football coverage, the Ashes in 2017/18 & Rugby Union

If their offering continues to degrade it will affect their share price, they will have to squeeze the pips of their subscribers further, or reduce the bids for live sport.

Something has to give.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Odd that .... I much preferred those times, for a whole load of reasons (mostly associated with money)
Yep agree...Least players were working class then unlike the pampered overpaid pricks nowadays.It was only a matter of time before the middle classes took over football hence why many atmospheres are shite amongst many other things.
Football and politics and most things are all about money nowadays....sad state of affairs.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Ah, those wise words spoken once again by the perspicacious [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]. He's never wrong. Gives me another opportunity to re-post his thoughts from June 2014 about the prospect of Albion hosting Reading on Boxing Day:-

Boxing Day game guaranteed to be moved. Anybody believe the club when they say it won't be?

There's no trains on Boxing Day. Never is. The game won't/can't happen for that reason. SOMEBODY will move it. Nothing surer.

Game won't happen tho.

It won't take place.

There's no trains.

Most fans won't be able to get there by public transport. Ditto stewards, shop wallahs and all the rest. The students who would normally man the catering outlets will all have gone home for Xmas.

There's no way on earth that game will take place.

It's just a matter of when they announce that it won't take place.

Pathetic really.

Feel free to bounce this on Xmas Day BTW :xmas:

That's what I thought. And what you'd like to think anyone with half a brain SHOULD have thought. Sake! :dunce:

You know that ENREST. I know that. Everybody with an IQ higher than their shoe size should know that. But for some strange reason many have blind faith in the club to make a home Boxing Day match happen without the slighest idea of how that could be made to happen. Meh :shrug:

There's nothing more admirable or, er, comical, than a man posting with absolute certainty....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ah, those wise words spoken once again by the perspicacious [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION]. He's never wrong. Gives me another opportunity to re-post his thoughts from June 2014 about the prospect of Albion hosting Reading on Boxing Day:-

There's nothing more admirable or, er, comical, than a man posting with absolute certainty....

Blimey, me very own STALKER, all the way from Phoenix, Az :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here