Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Busy social time of year for us. Wife's birthday with friends last night, poker tonight, and friend's bbq on Saturday so lots of booze and food that's bad for you. Drank a fair amount of wine and gin last night then went out this morning on my hilly loop while the cloud cover was still around (though this just made it really humid). The splits were awful added to which I got caught by traffic on my three big road crossings and my legs ache worse than they have for a good while but my headache's gone.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Where did you get the info. Bob!? They seem to be keeping it under wraps at Hove Park. Maybe they fear an Exodus for the first run with 900 turning up leaving Hove and Preston Parks very empty.

I think I'll be more inclined to run Hove Prom more pb friendly unless it's particularly windy then I'll be making the short trip to Hove Park. Great to have two options within a mile of my home.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Equidistant for me too at 1.5 miles but I am in love with that little hill at Hove Park. It's not enough to stop you but requires respect and provides a lovely downhill finish. So hot sunny summer mornings and pbs Hove Prom. Cold, dark, windy winter mornings and hill training Hove Park. How lucky we are to be spoilt for choice.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I saw confirmation of Hove Prom somewhere on Facebook, [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. I may do a couple of runs there, but to be honest, I'll probably stick to the park, in the hope that I can get a top 40/50 finish after loads of people head to the seafront.

Seems a bit more of a boring course, though, which is one of the reasons I haven't made it to Preston Park yet. Worthing has got to get one soon, though, surely?

So, in answer to your question, [MENTION=11930]bob[/MENTION], yes, I'll probably be up for it on the 8th...

It turns out Truleigh Hill (to the youth Hostel and back) is a cracking 10km route from my new house. Just under 52 mins, which I was pleased with, given that the first 5km was done in 28 mins. Great training for Phoenix, where I reckon I'll look to get 44ish.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Worthing has got to get one soon, though, surely? QUOTE]

I've been saying this for ages.. Never really thought that there was enough decent/interesting enough spaces that could host it though. One could be centrered around Sea Lane cafe and run eastwards and back perhaps? There's possibly lots of other decent routes that i havn't thought about.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The NSC Challenge is considering an indefinite cancellation of all future 5k races. If [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION], [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION]666 and [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] all turn up on the same day the rest of us might as well give up and manage the fuel stations.

To be more serious it would be good to see the three of you run together. So it needs to be you boys who arrange a date.
Big Nuts or Guinesss Boy has Set the Phoenix 10k on the seafront Wednesday July 15th followed by refreshments in The Better Half. Should be 5 of us at least.

LOL, there are quicker people than me on here.....and I think my last parkrun was a fluke. Anyway, I didn't even FINISH my last race so you've got nothing to worry about [emoji3]

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
4 weeks exactly until the Brighton Phoenix 10k followed by drinking in the Better Half Pub. Who's registered?

I think there may well be six of us so far:-

Me (Big Nuts) [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]

Anyone else? I think entries were either £12 or £13.

I'm in. Ill be huffin & puffin from the rear though... :moo:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just been given a free place in the London 10k on Sunday July 12th so after 2 weeks off on England International drinking duty time for me to get running again! Did a gentle 5k tonight to get back into it! Plan longer run tomorrow and Sunday as have about 500 pints to run off! Feeling very fat and mrblobbyish tonight!!!!!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
33rd place in at 21 minutes on today's park run. Will take that all day long. Especially as I had circa 150 people in front of me at the starting line. Picking people off at will and only overtaken four times over the 3 miles. Not my natural comfort pace (that's about 23 minutes) so had to dig deep and suck it up over the last 2km.

These park runs are great. They're free (a rarity in today's day and age) and the [slightly] competitive edge gets so much more out of you.

Any other park run tales from today?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
33rd place in at 21 minutes on today's park run. Will take that all day long. Especially as I had circa 150 people in front of me at the starting line. Picking people off at will and only overtaken four times over the 3 miles. Not my natural comfort pace (that's about 23 minutes) so had to dig deep and suck it up over the last 2km.

These park runs are great. They're free (a rarity in today's day and age) and the [slightly] competitive edge gets so much more out of you.

Any other park run tales from today?

Agreed there great for so many reasons. I love the competitiveness of running against others but for many it's getting out there, keeping fit in a non pressurised social environment.

It was my first Park Run since early March so really pleased to come in with a pb of 19:41. Also saw Knocky1 & 7:18 at the start and after the race. We were discussing the Brighton Phoenix 10k next month and how 7 NSC runners are confirmed and entered so should be a good run and social event if you want to get involved.

Today's mile splits

Mile 1 - 6:08
Mile 2 - 6:32
Mile 3 - 6:20
0.12 of mile 0:41 seconds

Average pace of 6:18 per mile.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Today's mile splits

That's just ridiculous.

In other news, I've just realised, care of Strava, who you are or, at least, who I think you are. If I'm right, the last time I saw you was in a bar at Twickenham ahead of a 6 Nations game a few years back. I'd never have put you as the speed merchant you are!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It's a funny thing this running lark. My legs have felt heavy all week and I've had a snotty summer cold, but I needed to run today as my local park run is off for the next couple of weeks.

So things were pretty much going as expected... heavy legs... gagging on mucus as I approached the finish line... A thoroughly unpleasant run... where I've somehow knocked a second off my previous pb to post a 19:40!

Why don't I feel better about that?

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Agreed there great for so many reasons. I love the competitiveness of running against others but for many it's getting out there, keeping fit in a non pressurised social environment.

It was my first Park Run since early March so really pleased to come in with a pb of 19:41. Also saw Knocky1 & 7:18 at the start and after the race. We were discussing the Brighton Phoenix 10k next month and how 7 NSC runners are confirmed and entered so should be a good run and social event if you want to get involved.

Today's mile splits

Impressive times.

Id love to be able to comfortably run and maintain sub 7 minute miles but I can't see it ever happening.

I don't have great natural fitness and just being at the level I'm at now I consider an achievement.

Like I said my comfortable pace at 5K is 23 minutes so my lungs were screaming going round in 21, but I'm a stubborn bugger.

Will probably do more of these 5K's now to reignite my running mojo. I've been guilty of heaping to much pressure on myself with my longer runs. Had to take a step back and realise life's busy enough as it is without worrying about getting 10 miles in, and for what?

5K 2-3 times a week is the way forward I think. Ironically I work twice as hard over that distance at max effort than I do on an 8 minute mile longer plod.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
That's just ridiculous.

In other news, I've just realised, care of Strava, who you are or, at least, who I think you are. If I'm right, the last time I saw you was in a bar at Twickenham ahead of a 6 Nations game a few years back. I'd never have put you as the speed merchant you are!

I wasn't a speed merchant at all back then, in fact I was a fat **** weighing in at c.17.5 stone. As anyone who has seen me play football will testify I have no pace or acceleration I would make Billy Paynter look like Tony Daley, I just seem to have good stamina and can keep going.

5k's kill me I must run at 80% sprint pace, I much prefer longer distances particularly 10 mile runs and half marathons seems like the right balance between pace and stamina for me.

I got the running bug first in 2010 ran the Brooks 10k in just under 51 minutes after about six weeks of training, kept running until I ran the Brighton Marathon in 2012 then after that I lost interest for 14 months until the weight came back on again.

Since July 13 I've been hooked and one of the biggest factors has been buying a Garmin watch as I love to pour over stats and mile splits etc...

Amazing how you can improve if you train well and live a healthier life style. I was running 24 minutes for 5k 2 years ago.

You should definitely sign up for some races, you will start achieving times you first thought were impossible, it's a great way of improving and raising the bar.

Was it the England Vs Italy game I saw you at Twickenham when Ashton scored 5 tries I think?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was it the England Vs Italy game I saw you at Twickenham when Ashton scored 5 tries I think?

That sounds about right. I was with [MENTION=314]Arthur[/MENTION] who had bought the spread on try shirt numbers and he made an absolute killing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well behind 7:18 and Big Nuts today in 20:50. All part of the training plan but I won't be catching them any time soon.

All I can set Big Nuts is to beat my Hove Park PB of 19:33 on his way to his sub 19:30.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here