Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's in planning at the moment. Needs to raise a certain amount of money first.

They needed £3,000 for the Hove Prom. They considered asking the runners to contribute and that would be less than a fiver each from Hove and Preston Park runners. However, the ethos of the run is to be a free run and they refused to go down this route. Very impressive in today's world to stick to your principles.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They needed £3,000 for the Hove Prom. They considered asking the runners to contribute and that would be less than a fiver each from Hove and Preston Park runners. However, the ethos of the run is to be a free run and they refused to go down this route. Very impressive in today's world to stick to your principles.

Think that's the standard amount for parkrun (think it was the same for us when we set up Clair). Covers the laptop/timing kit etc I think. Our two local clubs contributed and I think there was a bit of money from UKA/other sponsors. Agree re the principles - not allowed to charge runners at a parkrun. It's a fabulous thing - so many people have got into running through it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Running 10% gives you an indication of how tough it must be to attempt to run 100 miles. Dazzer you've almost run 3 marathons back to back and Pembury almost 4. I salute you both.

Agreed - it's massively impressive. Yesterday was my longest off-road run yet, and it highlighted just how much harder work it is. There's the obvious factor of the hills of course, as well as the general undulations you don't really get when road running but it's also that you are having to adjust almost every stride you make to try to plant your foot on the best spot that is available. You've got big stones and rocks to navigate, as well as knobbly or slippy roots, mud patches, puddles and enormous piles of horse droppings. Then there are gates and even things like fallen trees that completely break your momentum and prevent you from getting into a nice rhythm to help you to keep churning the miles out.

I'm completely in awe of [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] for doing what they did.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How about we put in an NSC team for this next year?

http://www.endure24.co.uk

I was tempted to join a team doing this last year, but wasn't needed in the end, and hadn't done the prep. But yes, sounds good to me. :thumbsup:

In the meantime, well done SDWers, great effort, regardless of if you finished or not. That's a hell of a distance to cover, you should be proud of your achievements.

I failed pretty miserably at the parkrun challenge but did, at least get 21:59 (again), so my sub-22 streak continues. As I said to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] at the end, moving house took it out of me, and I've been eating rubbish (and plenty of it) for ages, which doesn't reflect well on the scales.

No long run on Sunday, but I was back out this morning where I split my run into a 10km (45 mins) and a two-mile 'recovery'. Fortunately, given that I'm a creature of habit, the new house is on the circular route that I've always done, which means I don't have to change that, and I get to be nosy and see what the new people are up to in the old house :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No such word as failure. It was a stepping stone to greater glory [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION]. Just looked at my Garmin stats for the run and I was slowing up heavily on the downhill finish and only picked up pace near the finish line. So stamina failed. Not a good sign with the 10k next month but will work on it. Have only been running 8 miles a week for a month now so the mileage has to go up.Don't want to be too knackered to get to The Better Half.

Interestingly, I am having to eat more to maintain weight running 8 miles a week at anaerobic pace than 50 miles a week marathon aerobic training pace. Admittedly my metabolism needs refuelling for a few months after a marathon even if not exercising. Yesterday lunch,for example, 5 pork loin chops, new potatoes and chard. 5 pints watching an hour of cricket and then the football in the pub. Home for a few glasses of wine and a huge plate of pasta and salad. Woke up this morning a bit sore and hungry.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had my Brooks for 12 weeks and they've covered 320 miles. I've just noticed that on the outside of my left foot, near the rear of the shoe, I have already started wearing through the sole material (blue) to the white stuff underneath.

Should these shoes be at this stage already? I'm assuming they'll degrade pretty rapidly from here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434365764.834384.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I should have researched this before making the post above. It seems Brooks are not renowned for outsole durability...

http://www.solereview.com/brooks-adrenaline-gts-15-review/

"Traction has never been an issue with Brooks outsoles. The rubber has good hold, and near complete coverage makes for a grippy pair of running shoes. Now if they could do something about the durability…"

Cons: "Outsole durability, upper assembly needs polishing"

Screen Shot 2015-06-15 at 12.08.25.png

Lots of comments about outsole durability on this review of the Ghost 7s too, such as:

"The poor outsole durability is the Achelle’s heel of Brooks. That outsole wear out faster than any other competitor."

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First 5k run this morning since Hove Park Run March 7th. Forgot how much I have a love/hate relationship with 5k's, so much tougher than running slower and longer.

Hoping to get up to Hove Park this weekend so wanted a practice run to see what kind of time I should aim for, managed to squeeze in, in under 20 minutes by the tiniest of margins so I will be aiming for a pb of sub 19:47 on the 20th. Hope to see a few of you there.

1 6:30.9 1.00 6:31
2 6:27.5 1.00 6:28
3 6:25.8 1.00 6:26
4 :35.8 0.10 5:54

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
P
First 5k run this morning since Hove Park Run March 7th. Forgot how much I have a love/hate relationship with 5k's, so much tougher than running slower and longer.

Hoping to get up to Hove Park this weekend so wanted a practice run to see what kind of time I should aim for, managed to squeeze in, in under 20 minutes by the tiniest of margins so I will be aiming for a pb of sub 19:47 on the 20th. Hope to see a few of you there.

1 6:30.9 1.00 6:31
2 6:27.5 1.00 6:28
3 6:25.8 1.00 6:26
4 :35.8 0.10 5:54

You won't see us for long running at that pace. I plan to be there. Just off for a run to the Dyke from home via West Hove Sainsburys. Will leave the Garmin at home.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Sorry, can only race you virtually as will be at Chichester park run this weekend. Looks like three laps of a sports field something I have n't done since games was rained off on Wednesday afternoon every week at school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here