Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
[MENTION=1320]Notters[/MENTION], result or what eh! And you got the right size. If you wanna make your first wedding anniversary, you'll have to get out of the habit of accidentally buying carbon bikes on line.

:p

Anyway, how cool is this:

[tweet]512222093208207360[/tweet]
Haha, is that you?!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No, I did cycle to work and it just said thank you for ordering. They've just confirmed that I've got a Large Blue on order.
CBPXSLPRIVLDY_P2.jpg

Can't believe it for £800!

That is rather lovely. Your life has changed, irreversibly.

I think I may need a new bike soon.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I suspect this is what I'll do.

But if I did do this, I won't need to replace my 8 speed hub - is that right?

It might be possible just to replace the freehub. That's what I've just done with a second hand Planet X wheel to make it 11 speed, cost me £30. Managed to pick up a pair of deep carbon rims (82mm front & 101mm rear) and convert them to 11 speed for under £300. And that included tyres, but I think I'll be replacing them ASAP.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm pretty excited about the hour record.

I genuinely think, even though the actual achievement has more than a hint of paint drying to it, this record is going to become fascinating over the next couple of years.
That is until Tony Martin puts it out of reach.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff by The Jensie.

I doubt it looked good to a purist, but 51kms sorts out the men from the boys.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fine effort and did well to lift it towards the end.

I'm thinking Brad will hit 55 next year though. Longer preparation, faster track and more horsepower etc.
Would you put Tony Martin beyond even that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe but it depends whether opqs would be as understanding as sky about preparation etc.
If he said 'I want it' they'd give it to him, it's the least they can do after what he's given them.

Jens definitely showed what fine margins the ride is working with.
I wouldn't be surprised if he says he could go quicker, but if he only slightly misjudged that effort he'd never have made it.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right, today I think I found a training partner. Knew him for a while never knew he rode. Bit intimidating that he has a £2.5k carbon peener and has done a few marathons. BMI safely under 20 I reckon. He was gonna do the off road L2B yesterday, so I thought I'd stand a chance today. He was looking forward to the ride as he hadn't been out since she'd been serviced. This morning I discovered he did not do the L2B...

When he led I had to work and he smoked me up the climbs when I let him go. Thing is he's not Strava addicted, so as long as he averages 16-20 he's happy. This can only help me. Mrs M don't mind as she thinks 2 riders will be safer than a solo. I'm not gonna go there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] did you ride your red Giant to the Amex, yesterday, with a red bag over your shoulder. If so :wave:.

(Is it very sad of me to try and recognise potential geeks by the bike they are riding :facepalm:)

I gave up reading CycleSport a couple of years ago, after the best part of 10 years not missing a word.
I felt it was getting very repetitive, a little too American, it was hard to spot the difference between advert and article, but mainly it was becoming too aspirational and distant from 'normal' cyclist with 'normal' bank accounts.

Today I bought the current issue Cycling Plus.
Mainly because it had a cyclocross subsection which I thought might be interesting.
In fairness so far I have only skimmed through, but there's at least 2, 5 figure bikes featured.
Easily double figures in the £5k+ price bracket.
Not to mention 20 odd pairs of shoes over £200 some nearer £400.

I guess this is the price to pay for being 'the new golf'.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hey [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] did you ride your red Giant to the Amex, yesterday, with a red bag over your shoulder. If so :wave:.

(Is it very sad of me to try and recognise potential geeks by the bike they are riding :facepalm:)

I gave up reading CycleSport a couple of years ago, after the best part of 10 years not missing a word.
I felt it was getting very repetitive, a little too American, it was hard to spot the difference between advert and article, but mainly it was becoming too aspirational and distant from 'normal' cyclist with 'normal' bank accounts.

Today I bought the current issue Cycling Plus.
Mainly because it had a cyclocross subsection which I thought might be interesting.
In fairness so far I have only skimmed through, but there's at least 2, 5 figure bikes featured.
Easily double figures in the £5k+ price bracket.
Not to mention 20 odd pairs of shoes over £200 some nearer £400.

I guess this is the price to pay for being 'the new golf'.

I took up a subscription offer of 'Cyclist' which was free for first issue, £1 for the second*. I cancelled it though as I can't really afford magazine subscriptions but a really nicely put together magazine I must say with some really nice journalism in it and some great photography.

http://cyclistmag.co.uk/freeissue/?_ms=59&_msai=haute

*I realise I've actually paid for it through the information I've given up, but there you go...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here