Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deals for Calderon and Casper; CMS + others released

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
And from the Calde article:

Inigo Calderon has expressed his delight at being told he is to be offered a new contract with Brighton & Hove Albion.

The 33-year-old is Albion's longest serving player and since signing back in in January 2010, he has notched up over 200 appearances in the blue-and-white stripes.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "I want to stay here because I've got a good relationship with everyone at the club. I'm really happy; it's been a really good week for me having won the Player of the Season award on Monday.

"I am very proud, because I have had to earn a new contract each year, so it shows that I must be doing something well and I would like to thank the club for offering this to me.

"I always say I'd like to finish my career at Brighton as I've been here for five years and I enjoy living here a lot. I don't have a bad word to say about the city or the fans, and I am so grateful to them because they have always been with me since the very start. I was surprised then and I am still surprised now, because I have never considered myself to be a great player.

"I don't mind where I play as long as I am on the pitch; whether that's at right-back, left-back or in midfield. It gives me a lot more options as I can play in different positions. I know I'm not the first option to start, but I've played 39 games this season with two games left."
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...-albion-deal-2420162.aspx#flKEvFG06SGGSutO.99
:love::love:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Remember the excitement of the 2011 window: Good signings in Hoskins, Buckley and KLL (on a perm); the surprise of landing CMS in front of other 'bigger' clubs; then, at the end of August, the news that we were signing Vicente!

Sod the football. Summers like that are more exciting than anything.

Didn't know Zamora's contract had run out. Would LOVE to see him back for one last season.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm not suggesting they do.

But if Hughton believes the squad needs major surgery, and he surely does, then you would expect him to be prepared to be pretty ruthless if he can move a player out in order to bring in someone more to his liking.

Like Leon Best? Scary thought eh?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Poyet had a few years to get the squad he wanted together - it may take a bit of time. It could be that not everyone CH and TB want are available this summer.

That's true, it may take a while. But thinking back to the Poyet play-off season, we did sign a lot of good players. Most came in the summer but Ulloa and Upson were later. (Kusz, Bruno, Bridge, Crofts, Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Hammond, Ulloa & Upson ). They joined 4 regulars in the first team, Greer, Bridcutt, Barnes & Buckley. Not too shabby was it. That's the level we have to match, if not better - after all, we didn't go up with that team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Squad needed 24 start of season + 1 signing in January = 25

Current squad = 20 in contract or have been offered new contracts.

But Chicksen and Colunga could depart = 18 so we could expect 6 new players.

Left back
Striker

Right winger
Covering central defender

Right back (not so urgent)
Left sided midfielder (not so urgent)

About right - don't expect any more than six in anyway.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That's true, it may take a while. But thinking back to the Poyet play-off season, we did sign a lot of good players. Most came in the summer but Ulloa and Upson were later. (Kusz, Bruno, Bridge, Crofts, Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Hammond, Ulloa & Upson ). They joined 4 regulars in the first team, Greer, Bridcutt, Barnes & Buckley. Not too shabby was it. That's the level we have to match, if not better - after all, we didn't go up with that team.

I think the management team will be really ruthless this summer. The ones now released and openly announced were probably the ''out of contract ones''.

The ones who are contacted still are harder to deal with. You can't openly say you don't want them otherwise teams come in and get them for virtually nothing, although some we will definately need to give away for free. The others they will just be told that they are not in the managers plans for the up an coming season, so that their agents can go looking to find them new clubs.

I actually think that only another 3 or 4of the current first team squad will be told that they are likely to make up the regular first team squad next year. I truly believe that CH will look to actively off load the rest

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This squad announcement is good news. Calde can still do a job for this club although I hope we bring in quality and he is a bench option.

As for Caspar, he's not good but he is cheap and we need to spend every penny we've got strengthening other areas.

Re CMS - this is a guy who is last off the field every week, applauding the fans as he goes. He had a bad injury that has robbed him of what edge he possessed to compete in this division. Before that injury he was OK. I'd like to see him come on as sub tomorrow and I hope he gets a good send-off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What strikes me is how little first-team football the likes of Agustien, Maksimenko, Hughes, and McCourt played. Throw into the mix the fact Toko never kicked a ball and the likes Adrian Colunga made little impression, AND that we've brought in a vast number of loanees at considerable expense to cover these wasters and it is a real indictment of our recruitment policy.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What strikes me is how little first-team football the likes of Agustien, Maksimenko, Hughes, and McCourt played. Throw into the mix the fact Toko never kicked a ball and the likes Adrian Colunga made little impression, AND that we've brought in a vast number of loanees at considerable expense to cover these wasters and it is a real indictment of our recruitment policy.

At least the nobber responsible is no longer with us, a certain Mr David Burke.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Re CMS - this is a guy who is last off the field every week, applauding the fans as he goes. He had a bad injury that has robbed him of what edge he possessed to compete in this division. Before that injury he was OK. I'd like to see him come on as sub tomorrow and I hope he gets a good send-off.
This. If all footballers had the attitude of CMS then the world would be an infinitely better place - despite his injuries and lack of form he remains one of my favourite Albion players.

I am looking forward to singing his song repeatedly tomorrow and giving him the appreciation that he deserves. I will quite likely shed a small tear as he must be absolutely gutted that things have ended so sadly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You'd have to expect Colunga and O'Grady to go, and there would also be question marks of various sizes over Holla, Crofts and LuaLua. I'd even suggest that both Bruno and Greer are not certain to be retained, given they were not Hughton decisions to give them new deals.

Finally, there's the risk of losing any of Dunk, Ince, March and JFC to more attractive suitors.

Very odd that you should mention KLL as he only recently signed a new long term deal and I believe CH was manager then too so your corresponding posts about Greer and Bruno not being 100% retained doesn't come into this...

Unless you've heard something we haven't of course..........

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If we signed him on a 2 year deal, it would be at a wage that CMS would have to agree to. And there would be no guarantee of any sort of return. Let's use some numbers to illustrate the point. Assuming he's earning £15k a week basic now, it's perhaps fair to say he's not going to accept a deal for any less than £9k a week now. That means we'd have to pay six months at £9k a week (£234k) and we might recoup, say, £500k in January when we try to sell him (a £200k profit). Or we might not, and we could be lumbered with a labrador for 18 more months at £9k a week, tying up a valuable portion of the playing budget.

It isn't the 1980s any more. Clubs can't just hold a player's registration and pay what they want.

Full marks to you for being bothered to explain the obvious to him. Seems to think football is as lain as championship manager :lol:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
There will be a lot more gone soon !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's smart keeping Casper, as I can't imagine it's particularly easy bringing in a third choice keeper. If you've already got someone who fits in then it's worth it. I'm sure I remember Walton saying Casper was very good with younger keepers too.

Full marks to you for being bothered to explain the obvious to him. Seems to think football is as lain as championship manager :lol:

That really wouldn't make much sense. A 2 yr contract at say £10k a week would meaning we are comiiting £1m in wages (and that is before NIC etc) He may het injured again leaving is stuck with the contract. If he perfoms like he has done this saeason, no one else will want to pay a fee and match those wages.

Are you serious ??

Why on EARTH would we commit to another 2 years of covering CMS's (not inconsiderable) wage on the offchance of getting a few quid back for him in January ? Whilst at a stroke drastically affecting Hughtons summer budget for bringing in someone who can actually, y'know, score ?

That would be completely fruit loop.

possibly your maddest post ever

I was thinking of a wage similar to what Barnes was on before leaving £5k a week take it or leave it. If he goes to Div 1 he will be lucky to earn that. That equates to about £120k max till Jan window then a Div 1 side wouod pay £250k + for him. That was my logic if he succeeded with another striker all ok if not we havent lost much more money, if any.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Very odd that you should mention KLL as he only recently signed a new long term deal and I believe CH was manager then too so your corresponding posts about Greer and Bruno not being 100% retained doesn't come into this...

I've heard nothing on any players, but getting KLL on a longer deal protects the club's investment if nothing else.

I can't imagine I'm alone in being disappointed with KLL's contribution of late, and I say that as a longstanding fan. Our whole forward line has been misfiring massively and his two great chances against Wigan, which were both spurned, won't have been missed by Hughton.

I'm not saying he will go, but I think there are very few that Hughton would definitely seek to retain, and he's not one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here