Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recovery Parkrun planned today but spotted friend's son 100m in front on the final 500m. Went flat out and overtook him at 5.04 mile pace. Gave him the obligatory finger only for the whippersnapper to speed up and gain 10m on me over the final 50m. Good fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/487007975

I love that spike in the graph even if it lost.

Brilliant....that's what parkruns are all about [emoji3]

Back on the Downs for me, first time in months. Easy plod (if it's ever easy on the hills), absolutely bloody loved it. Very, very rough though - going over the Dyke was struggling to run in a straight line.

https://www.strava.com/activities/486999847

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Recovery Parkrun planned today but spotted friend's son 100m in front on the final 500m. Went flat out and overtook him at 5.04 mile pace. Gave him the obligatory finger only for the whippersnapper to speed up and gain 10m on me over the final 50m. Good fun.

I meant to ask you about your specifics for tomorrow. I might run back from Worthing if you're getting there early (and if you want some company?)

What time are you getting there? Train, I presume?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I meant to ask you about your specifics for tomorrow. I might run back from Worthing if you're getting there early (and if you want some company?)

What time are you getting there? Train, I presume?

Train? Do you think I'm a wimp? I'll be setting off from Hove sometime after 6 am and will aim at 9:30 to10 mile pace. Will wrap a tenner up in a plastic bag in case I need to get the 700 bus home. I can't set a time but may see you and others en route. 20 minutes either side of 7:40 at Worthing Pier is a guesstimate.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Train? Do you think I'm a wimp? I'll be setting off from Hove sometime after 6 am and will aim at 9:30 to10 mile pace. Will wrap a tenner up in a plastic bag in case I need to get the 700 bus home. I can't set a time but may see you and others en route. 20 minutes either side of 7:40 at Worthing Pier is a guesstimate.
Ah, ok. I thought you were just running one way, for some reason. Might see you somewhere then...

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Forecast is now showing that the wind won't really get until after midday. I'm thinking early train to Goring and run 15 miles home - might see you on route but suspect I'll be out later.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Doing the Henfield 9 mile tomorrow. Not done it before but its mostly off road i believe so could be muddy. Instructions say beware of stiles, gates and cows / horses / sheep so sounds like a run around the farms!! Aiming for 1 hr 15 min but depends on wind and mud.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all new to this thread, Just done a 11-12 miler roughly from the view bar hove to close to rottingdean and back. Wind was a nightmare going out, but was pleased it was that way round cos when my legs had tired on way back i had the wind behind me. Planning on doing brighton marathon and then London a week later. Does anyone have any good long run routes that aren't just along the sea front as it all gets boring and the wind can play havoc with rhythm. I've done 3 marathons before so confident I am in good shape, just be good to mix it up with some local knowledge of different routes, keen to include hill works that defo helps with stamina. Sure it may involve getting in the car and setting off from wherever I park up. Any advice grateful. Have any of you done Brighton and then London and what were your tactics? Basically selfish request from fellow runners. Was lovely to do a good long run apposed to usual 3-4 milers today, enjoying the warm pain in the legs, but brain is all good! Cheers all

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hi all new to this thread, Just done a 11-12 miler roughly from the view bar hove to close to rottingdean and back. Wind was a nightmare going out, but was pleased it was that way round cos when my legs had tired on way back i had the wind behind me. Planning on doing brighton marathon and then London a week later. Does anyone have any good long run routes that aren't just along the sea front as it all gets boring and the wind can play havoc with rhythm. I've done 3 marathons before so confident I am in good shape, just be good to mix it up with some local knowledge of different routes, keen to include hill works that defo helps with stamina. Sure it may involve getting in the car and setting off from wherever I park up. Any advice grateful. Have any of you done Brighton and then London and what were your tactics? Basically selfish request from fellow runners. Was lovely to do a good long run apposed to usual 3-4 milers today, enjoying the warm pain in the legs, but brain is all good! Cheers all

My planned route in about two hours will be The View to Preston Street up to Western Road up Montpelier Road and then sevens dials before hitting Old Shoreham Road. A lap of Hove Park then up the hill to the Greyhound stadium and back to OSR before turning right just past Victoria Park to go into Portslade Village going out to Mile Oak farm then turning back. Back out to Shoreham High Street then the long wind assisted run home.

A couple of years ago I incorporated two 18 mile runs where you run past our current and 2 previous homes. Looped it in both directions and both tough hilly routes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The View is exactly 1.25 miles from my house (yes, I know every mile marker on Hove seafront now :lolol: ) but when I want to avoid that area I head to Shoreham. If the prevailing wind is from the west you can run Old Shoreham Road / Upper Shoreham Road which undulates a bit until you get to the Adur / Toll Bridge. Turn right and go up the downslink for some flat trail action or left takes you along the Adur to the Ropetackle where you can go over the humpback bridge and run round Shoreham Beach or in to Lancing along the little prom behind the seafront road. Not too hilly but I like it because you always come back with the Westerly behind you when you turn and run the same way for home. It is an out and back though.

My mate runs hills with his dog (preparing for Steyning Stinger) that basically goes all the way up Mile Oak Road, on to the downs and across to Southwick or Truliegh Hill and then down again. It's a bit boggy at the moment apparently and can be harder coming down if its in to a wind like today.

Plenty of the guys on here will have better runs than that but these are pretty good if you don't have time to drive.

Oh, I'm out with a hacking cough today so I hate all of you who are doing long runs :)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Nothing like trying to show the youngsters a clean pair of heels! Preston Park for me yesterday when I too failed to overtake a couple of young lads who looked barely old enough to walk. I managed a 21:17 (unrecorded as scanner was playing up) so they were pretty bloody quick. To make matters worse one them was actually holding hands with his dad for the final stretch.
Noting the huge mileages being clocked up this weekend on the thread. I'll trot out for a sedate 5 miler this morning and feel like a wimp.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Hi and welcome to the thread. A good place to look for routes apart from this thread of course is to join the Strava group North Stand Chat - Runners. You'll see lots of familiar names on there.
https://www.strava.com/clubs/96909

My favourite is to park at Ditchling Beacon and run east over Blackcap and on to the old racecourse in Lewes. A return trip is about 16km but can easily be extended by running into Lewes or detouring on the route. Some good hills, woodland and spectacular views. Generally pretty weather proof - I did it in the snow the other week- a few puddles here and there.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A couple of years ago I incorporated two 18 mile runs where you run past our current and 2 previous homes. Looped it in both directions and both tough hilly routes.

I remember that one a good route. Do you think [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] or [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] would incorporate Gillingham into it?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Noting the huge mileages being clocked up this weekend on the thread. I'll trot out for a sedate 5 miler this morning and feel like a wimp.

I've managed 33 sedate miles in the last 48 hours. So very happy with the little pick up at Parkrun yesterday. Since the New Year Soleus problem I have had to up mileage at an injury threatening pace but have just survived using a knobbly roller regularly (changed the rolling pin) and hours of stretching. Looking forward to week ahead as easier week.
Saw [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] near Worthing Pool, so much in his zone that he failed to spot me when there were only 3 people in a mile vicinity. That wind was a killer this morning!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Howdy. Some good suggestions above. Would highly recommend doing at least some runs offroad, although harder at the time (don't worry about your pace), helps avoid injury and massively improves strength and conditioning. We're incredibly lucky here wth The South Downs Way on our doorstep - and it is pretty dry already - a week without rain is all it needs. I ran the 7 miles or so from Clayton Windmills to the Youth Hostel and back yesterday and there was hardly any muddy bits really.

I did the Brighton/London double a couple of years ago and did a couple of consecutive weekends last year too. It's worth having some kind of strategy - you can't properly race both. If you're looking for a PB/fast time, I'd definitely aim that at Brighton, you've then got a week to recover before treating London as a day out, plodding round, high-fiving kids and waving at the cameras. Between the two, just try to get moving asap (recovery jog the day after Brighton) and just a couple of short easy runs, maybe Weds and Fri. If something happens to scupper the plan - awful weather for Brighton for example - you can then take Brighton very easy and have a proper go at London.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The View is exactly 1.25 miles from my house (yes, I know every mile marker on Hove seafront now :lolol: ) but when I want to avoid that area I head to Shoreham. If the prevailing wind is from the west you can run Old Shoreham Road / Upper Shoreham Road which undulates a bit until you get to the Adur / Toll Bridge. Turn right and go up the downslink for some flat trail action or left takes you along the Adur to the Ropetackle where you can go over the humpback bridge and run round Shoreham Beach or in to Lancing along the little prom behind the seafront road. Not too hilly but I like it because you always come back with the Westerly behind you when you turn and run the same way for home. It is an out and back though.

My mate runs hills with his dog (preparing for Steyning Stinger) that basically goes all the way up Mile Oak Road, on to the downs and across to Southwick or Truliegh Hill and then down again. It's a bit boggy at the moment apparently and can be harder coming down if its in to a wind like today.

Plenty of the guys on here will have better runs than that but these are pretty good if you don't have time to drive.

Oh, I'm out with a hacking cough today so I hate all of you who are doing long runs :)

Good route advice.
Don't worry about the phlegmy cough. A few days off won't do any harm especially when you have 12 month Strava graphs showing consistency and building. Don't run anywhere near my house till your better though. :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Howdy. Some good suggestions above. Would highly recommend doing at least some runs offroad, although harder at the time (don't worry about your pace), helps avoid injury and massively improves strength and conditioning. We're incredibly lucky here wth The South Downs Way on our doorstep - and it is pretty dry already - a week without rain is all it needs. I ran the 7 miles or so from Clayton Windmills to the Youth Hostel and back yesterday and there was hardly any muddy bits really.

I did the Brighton/London double a couple of years ago and did a couple of consecutive weekends last year too. It's worth having some kind of strategy - you can't properly race both. If you're looking for a PB/fast time, I'd definitely aim that at Brighton, you've then got a week to recover before treating London as a day out, plodding round, high-fiving kids and waving at the cameras. Between the two, just try to get moving asap (recovery jog the day after Brighton) and just a couple of short easy runs, maybe Weds and Fri. If something happens to scupper the plan - awful weather for Brighton for example - you can then take Brighton very easy and have a proper go at London.

Only done Brighton. Is London slower?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only done Brighton. Is London slower?

Depends how you run it I guess ! Brighton is much easier to get into your race pace, London is too busy (I've done it 7 times)......course-wise not a lot of difference really, both pretty flat. Was more pointing to the fact it'd be more difficult to chase a PB in the second than the first due to cumulative fatigue, so the order the races fall is good as London for me is more of a street party than a race and it's worth taking it slower and enjoying the whole atmosphere rather than keeping your head down and going for it.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
There are clearly a good number of very good runners on this thread so thought I would pose a question!

I run a fair bit and I have entered both half and full at Brighton this year! I'm not getting any younger but would love to run a PB in April!

The question is, should I also go for a half PB if I'm feeling good or just use it as just another training run?!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Depends how you run it I guess ! Brighton is much easier to get into your race pace, London is too busy (I've done it 7 times)......course-wise not a lot of difference really, both pretty flat. Was more pointing to the fact it'd be more difficult to chase a PB in the second than the first due to cumulative fatigue, so the order the races fall is good as London for me is more of a street party than a race and it's worth taking it slower and enjoying the whole atmosphere rather than keeping your head down and going for it.

Hmmmmm. I've only finished with head down and going for it once out of four. That was the one I loved the crowd. I get your point though.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here