Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ultimatum from the wife you can run Saturday or Sunday but not both. Have decided a 14/15 miler tomorrow morning around 8/9 am going to run the length of old Shoreham road and loop to the seafront. Is it worth me detouring over the bridge onto Shoreham beach to get the mileage up, rather than loops of hove lagoon?

Good luck [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] probably will be running into the wind for the entire duration of the run.

Good point, will check the weather and maybe head to Goring or somewhere and go the other way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes: around Shoreham Beach is really nice and flat - but I'm biased ��

Over footbridge you can run West and South and there is a brilliant flat Tarmac footpath alongside Widewater that takes you next to the bike path to Worthing Pier. Wind will then push you home.

Yep, love running round Shoreham Beach though will probably do the Shoreham Harbour loop and then out to Palace Pier and back tomorrow as the wind will be stiller tomorrow morning.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Will be Parkrunning tomorrow with the aim of beating a friend's 16 year old son. Sub 22:30 needed but with heavy legs it will be close.

The boy done good nearly made me as sick as a parrot. I didn't factor in that he might continue his run of a new pb every week and especially not by 31 seconds. He had the tenacity to saunter past me on the second lap and make me go full effort from then on. Sub 22 needed on the day.
Good to get [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] back in sight even if it is a long range rifle sight. Over the next couple of weeks hoping to get in amongst them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Best time since September - 21.18. Well chuffed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I sprinted around the house for a few minutes to watch my heart rate go up and then recover whilst wearing the FR235.

#BackInTheGame

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Your comeback continues...................

A 21:48 at a very, very wet Bognor for me (AGR 74.24%). Hope I've got something left for tomorrow's Worthing 4 mile: aiming at 26:52 for a 78% AG but probably a bit ambitious. Please, Gods of Running: no wind tomorrow!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Your comeback continues...................

A 21:48 at a very, very wet Bognor for me (AGR 74.24%). Hope I've got something left for tomorrow's Worthing 4 mile: aiming at 26:52 for a 78% AG but probably a bit ambitious. Please, Gods of Running: no wind tomorrow!

Doesn't count unless it's an official event! May bump into you a mile East of Worthing Pier. Planning to join the NSC Sunday morning Worthing direction jolly.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Took a rest from Park Run this week but managed to watch the Hove Prom runners as I made my way to Preston Street and then it was North to Old Shoreham Road a lap of Hove Park to see the back markers finish then South at Kingston Lane and back towards home.

Started slowly and had plenty in the tank for a fast finish. Had to cut the run short at 13.7 as had to get home for a specific time but pleased to add 0.5 miles to my longest run and means moving to 15 next week shouldn't be too much of a jump.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/1033023639

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Just" eleven miles this morning (half an hour was my long run this time last year). The seafront is once again the M25 for runners. Was supposed to be doing 9"00 to 9"10 miles. Last one was 8"35 chasing some tail. Ooopsy.

Plenty look like they're doing half / full training for all the upcoming races including bloke in this season's crimson away shirt who seemed to be doing the same loop as me in reverse.

EDIT - 130 miles for January in total. That's a first.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fairly enjoyable 5 miles this morning after a two week break. Lots of activity in Hove Park which was good to see.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
"Just" eleven miles this morning (half an hour was my long run this time last year). The seafront is once again the M25 for runners. Was supposed to be doing 9"00 to 9"10 miles. Last one was 8"35 chasing some tail. Ooopsy.

Plenty look like they're doing half / full training for all the upcoming races including bloke in this season's crimson away shirt who seemed to be doing the same loop as me in reverse.

EDIT - 130 miles for January in total. That's a first.

Just joined NSCstrava this week. Apart from giving me stats my old Garmin cannot deliver, it is interesting to stalk the competition. I had followed your routine and woke at 6 for a 15 mile tortoise run to Rottingdean. Got home and checked to see if our paths had crossed and was impressed with your consistent mile times. Good running.
I have learnt it's better to get it over and done with early in the morning, great being at the marina before it was light.
Coming back from injury I have upped the mileage so much that I risk further injury but seem to be OK. The coming week is going to be a killer with the accumulative mileage kicking in. Best enjoyment from running since Hastings last year.
Have also learnt that the hills out to Ovingdean in the marathon deserve more respect than I give them on the day.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have no confidence in doing well at the Half but, with the help of a few others, managed 13.5k in 1:05 yesterday.

If it is your first half it's win/win. Run and enjoy it. The more you hold back the more you will smash your time in the next half marathon you do. Have you a target time? You'll easily get sub 1:45.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I can't wait to get back to running.
I ran 14 miles last Monday felt good, woke up Tuesday morning unable to turn my head. I have had a frustrating week unable to run, today my neck finally feels like it's getting back to normal.
So fingers crossed for a long run tomorrow, I can't wait to get back to running.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
If it is your first half it's win/win. Run and enjoy it. The more you hold back the more you will smash your time in the next half marathon you do. Have you a target time? You'll easily get sub 1:45.

Thanks Knockster. I had a target time of 90, but then stewarded at Parkrun the other week and noticed that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves more than I ever do. So I decided to drop the competitive streak - probably for the best, as I'm a dismal failure generally - and enjoy it at an unbursting, ungrimacing pace.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks Knockster. I had a target time of 90, but then stewarded at Parkrun the other week and noticed that everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves more than I ever do. So I decided to drop the competitive streak - probably for the best, as I'm a dismal failure generally - and enjoy it at an unbursting, ungrimacing pace.

Grimace after 7-8 miles then and see how far under 1:40 you can get....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here