Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Anyone doing the NSC Challenge tomorrow at Hove Park or virtually?

I will wear the Brighton green stripe away shirt for any newcomers and stand dodgily around the cafe, toilets, finish line and climbing wall sort of area. A lot of people are out due to doing short 100 mile runs, looking after babies, swimming, nursing hangovers etc. I might as well try and catch [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] and try and beat my years PB of 20:30. See what happens but legs feeling heavy. Still prepared to give a 100%.
We need BigNuts and Dazzer , when he is recovered, to come up with a new date for the fast and flat Hove prom 5k Parkrun.
I'll be there, but moving house has knackered me so I won't be setting any records. I've still done 27 miles, but that was all prior to lugging boxes and all sorts around since Thursday!

Lovely route the other morning down to River Adur, up the path to that hill that leads to the Youth Hostel and then down through some fields that bring you out at the back of Mile Oak before back to Shoreham-by-Sea. Unfamiliar territory, but I followed my internal compass.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good luck to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] on the SDW100 and apologies again for not being able to make the Parkrun. Looking forward to reading how everyone did.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone doing the NSC Challenge tomorrow at Hove Park or virtually?

I will wear the Brighton green stripe away shirt for any newcomers and stand dodgily around the cafe, toilets, finish line and climbing wall sort of area. A lot of people are out due to doing short 100 mile runs, looking after babies, swimming, nursing hangovers etc. I might as well try and catch [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] and try and beat my years PB of 20:30. See what happens but legs feeling heavy. Still prepared to give a 100%.
We need BigNuts and Dazzer , when he is recovered, to come up with a new date for the fast and flat Hove prom 5k Parkrun.

Any updates on the Hove prom Park Run? I intend being at Hove Park Saturday 20th as preperation intensifies for the Brighton Phoenix 10k where we have a host of NSC runners taking part with post run drinks in the Better Half.

Good luck to all today, I hope to see pb's or big improvements.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Any updates on the Hove prom Park Run? I intend being at Hove Park Saturday 20th as preperation intensifies for the Brighton Phoenix 10k where we have a host of NSC runners taking part with post run drinks in the Better Half.

Good luck to all today, I hope to see pb's or big improvements.

No news on the Prom run. Yet to get today's results. A PB for me is impossible after running hard 20 years ago when an old 35 year old. I wont get the PB from 6 years back at Hove Park either. So it's PB in last 6 years for me!

Looking forward to the Phoenix 10k + drink, as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
No news on the Prom run. Yet to get today's results. A PB for me is impossible after running hard 20 years ago when an old 35 year old. I wont get the PB from 6 years back at Hove Park either. So it's PB in last 6 years for me!

Looking forward to the Phoenix 10k + drink, as well.

Just had a look to see if any news on the prom run, nothing as yet but it seems likely that not only will Hove seafront have a run but also Bevendean so that would amount to 4 Park Runs within the Brighton and Hove boundaries.

What do you reckon you ran it in today? I think you could go sub 20 again based on recent times and your training schedule.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just had a look to see if any news on the prom run, nothing as yet but it seems likely that not only will Hove seafront have a run but also Bevendean so that would amount to 4 Park Runs within the Brighton and Hove boundaries.

What do you reckon you ran it in today? I think you could go sub 20 again based on recent times and your training schedule.

Today. Full effort. No drink for a week. Race shoes. Months interval training. 7:18 kindly pacing.
Beat last months 20:30 (1and 1/4 bottles of wine night before) by around 5 seconds.
The moral of the story is to drink more and look for a flat course!
I will aim for a sub 20 but it will have to be flat and 3 to 4 months away.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I was tail runner today but delighted to break 21 mins for the first time since November. Speed training seems to be paying off and I think I could get close to my pb in a few weeks. Apologies for dashing off but forgot my barcode so had to nip home for it.

Sally Gunnell started the parkrun this morning in honour of it being the NSC challenge or perhaps because it was the 400th Hove Park park run. My son got his photo taken with her as he shouted the times out.

Bit late to say it but of course good luck to [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] today - hopefully that westerly wind is helping.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure how many pints of Stowford I had last night with [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION], [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and BHASnappy amongst others, but it was enough to have me feeling somewhat jaded this morning and, after yesterday's incident, a bit hesitant about my run to retrieve the car from the pub.

It was all very comfortable though even running around 1 minute a mile quicker than yesterday so I've no idea what yesterday was all about.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
24.37 at Maldon Prom parkrun this morning, fastest time this year, but still a couple of minutes away from my PB.

might be interested on a Hove Prom parkrun later in the summer

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Flew back from California yesterday, been awake since 1:30am - ran Park Run, expecting a poor time (Hove Park) & got my second best time of the year 21:35. How?

Hope you weren't looking for the green stripe away shirt, Fozzie? I didn't wear it as not expecting new NSC challengers. Apologies. Good jet lagged running.
20:23 for me. Best for 6 years and highest age grading ever with a first time over 75%. Thanks for the competition NSC runners.
Time to head to the hills now ready for the Phoenix 10k pubathon Wednesday evening July 15th.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just woken from a good drinking session yesterday and checked the SDW 100 live updates. It started at 6am yesterday at Winchester. ( my mistake [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] on start). Looks good and bad news for NSC runners. Pembury is due in to Eastbourne in next half hour and Dazzer666 seems to have had a mishap somewhere after 12 hours running. Unlucky hope ok.

Great effort both of you and interested to get a match report when you are recovered. Anyone interested search SDW100 and click Live. The winner finished in 16hours 50!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All went t*ts up for me I'm afraid........just one of those days. Started feeling dodgy about 15-20 miles in, then suffered regular dizzy spells and light-headedness whenever I tried to run. Not sure why, possibly dehydration due to the humidity, particularly in the first 6 hours or so. Almost dropped out at Washington, had a bit of a freshen up there so carried on but I knew I was done when I got to Clayton at 70 miles so dropped out there. [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] was going really well -was good to meet and jog along together for a bit, so pleased he finished, top effort !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done for putting a brave face on. I cannot imagine what it must be like to run 70 miles knowing that it is not going right. F**king brilliant attempt. I loved the live internet footage and saw that the front runners had a race up front and that a number of women showed up in the top 20. Plus a 65 year old finishing. Great event.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here