Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I went out and ran a 10miler this afternoon, I ran it in 1:19:54, I've been doing a lot of interval training this week so doing a distance run felt good and the pace was largely consistent. I'm planning to follow it up with another longer distance run tomorrow with a core session and a proper warm down in a gym. It's my intention to run Hove Park parkrun on saturday.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I went out and ran a 10miler this afternoon, I ran it in 1:19:54, I've been doing a lot of interval training this week so doing a distance run felt good and the pace was largely consistent. I'm planning to follow it up with another longer distance run tomorrow with a core session and a proper warm down in a gym. It's my intention to run Hove Park parkrun on saturday.

Nice running Ninja. Can I borrow your 10 mile time for my race (Hayling Island) next Sunday please? I'll trade one of my parkruns with you if necessary!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice running Ninja. Can I borrow your 10 mile time for my race (Hayling Island) next Sunday please? I'll trade one of my parkruns with you if necessary!

I ran that last year. Really nice course, and I felt quite confident going into it, but eight miles in one of my legs gave way and I pretty much hobbled the last little bit. I think I was on for a 1:19, but ended up about 1:28 or something.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

You're welcome to it, but I'm sure you'll find that time on your own! I do intend to find at least 1 more Parkrun this calendar year. It seems like such an easy target but it really isn't proving to be!

I ran that last year. Really nice course, and I felt quite confident going into it, but eight miles in one of my legs gave way and I pretty much hobbled the last little bit. I think I was on for a 1:19, but ended up about 1:28 or something.

A friend of mine trained for over a year with the Abindgon Marathon in mind, she wanted a sub 3 hour marathon and she worked extremely hard every day to prepare. On the day, she tripped on a paving slab at 7 miles in and suffered a compound fracture to the leg. Admittedly, only 7 miles in isn't exactly a barometer for the overall pace but she was comfortably on course for it - massive shame when something untoward occurs.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Either I'm really bad at tapering, or I'm quicker than I thought. I went out for an easy 4.8 mile lunchtime run and ended up running an average 6:41 minutes per mile (I wasn't pushing, 'onest Guv')! Just one shorter run to go before Dunsfold, here's hoping the kids haven't given me the cold they both clearly had over the weekend...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Thanks GB: I have been warned! The more I think about it the more a sub 80 looks somewhat remote. Can you recall if the Hayling race had mile/interval markers - my only hope is even pacing!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks GB: I have been warned! The more I think about it the more a sub 80 looks somewhat remote. Can you recall if the Hayling race had mile/interval markers - my only hope is even pacing!

I think it did, yes. I'm sure you'll be fine - mine was just a one-off. Good luck.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think it did, yes. I'm sure you'll be fine - mine was just a one-off. Good luck.

Cheers. It's just occurred to me that I might be the just about the last of the 'old school' runners who run without any technology - apart from a watch; hence my rather desperate appeal for mile markers. Is there anyone else out there who has resisted (through technophobia, idleness or sheer tightness) the temptation of the runners' technology??

Just as an aside, I think that old gits might have possibly had to develop pacing skills in the absence of such wizardry which are not quite so developed in subsequent generations.
Please feel free to shoot this down.................but is their maybe an slight over-dependence on tech? Would people feel 'naked' without it? Just a thought...........(by the way, I like looking in on the data downloads of those who do the Strava stuff).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cheers. It's just occurred to me that I might be the just about the last of the 'old school' runners who run without any technology - apart from a watch; hence my rather desperate appeal for mile markers. Is there anyone else out there who has resisted (through technophobia, idleness or sheer tightness) the temptation of the runners' technology??

Just as an aside, I think that old gits might have possibly had to develop pacing skills in the absence of such wizardry which are not quite so developed in subsequent generations.
Please feel free to shoot this down.................but is their maybe an slight over-dependence on tech? Would people feel 'naked' without it? Just a thought...........(by the way, I like looking in on the data downloads of those who do the Strava stuff).

Never run with music but must have my Garmin watch with me. I like to set myself finishing times so I find it helps push me on during training runs. The only downside is on long runs the final few miles you end up looking at your watch constantly as the miles tick down at a snails pace.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I figured a lack of GPS-based product would be the case. I probably would have invested in one, but Mrs B bought one for me for my last birthday. Before that, I had my phone with Nike+, because I like to know how far I've run. I've only recently been able to get a grasp of pacing (I've been notoriously bad at it in the past), and I must admit I do like the fact that I know how fast I am going, and when I need to slow down and speed up. I'm not sure I would ever have been able to master that (in training at least) without some form of technology.

Could I run without it? Yes, but I would certainly miss it and, like [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], I think it helps my training...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I figured a lack of GPS-based product would be the case. I probably would have invested in one, but Mrs B bought one for me for my last birthday. Before that, I had my phone with Nike+, because I like to know how far I've run. I've only recently been able to get a grasp of pacing (I've been notoriously bad at it in the past), and I must admit I do like the fact that I know how fast I am going, and when I need to slow down and speed up. I'm not sure I would ever have been able to master that (in training at least) without some form of technology.

Could I run without it? Yes, but I would certainly miss it and, like [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], I think it helps my training...

I agree with this. I was given a Garmin last Christmas and, apart from the fact that I like the data downloads, maps of routes etc, I've found it really useful for pacing purposes. That applies both in training, but also in races - without the watch I had a persistent tendency to go off too fast at the gun. Having accurate pacing set on my watch has enabled me to get closer to my desired pace at each stage of a race, and achieve negative splits, which has definitely improved my overall times. Before I had the watch I used my phone a few times, but I hate running with extra clobber to carry, and it's not nearly as accurate as the Garmin.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Another big GPS fan here. My training plan run today was 15 mins easy, 25 just below steady state, 10 mins easy. Suggestion for just below steady was 9.15 - 9.30 miles.

I was told to try and tune in to that pace rather than run it all off the watch. I managed exactly 5 miles which was on the plan and miles three and four were both exactly 9.21. So on Strava it looks great. However, every time I focused off the watch when I checked it to see how I'd done I was at sub 9 or 9.45. It's going to be an interesting journey trying to teach myself to trust my pacing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/438495060

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
On a separate note I am probably dropping out of the Mince Pie. My son's team have now had two fixtures cancelled and one was rearranged for that Sunday I'm increasingly helping out with coaching and we are also planning on doing a small secret santa for them afterwards. Accordingly I didn't mention the race when training planning and I have a 1 hr 40 flat easy planned that day. Last of all my Mizunos are really not grippy in any way and I'm not sure I can justify trail shoes for one race just before Christmas

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
On a separate note I am probably dropping out of the Mince Pie. My son's team have now had two fixtures cancelled and one was rearranged for that Sunday I'm increasingly helping out with coaching and we are also planning on doing a small secret santa for them afterwards. Accordingly I didn't mention the race when training planning and I have a 1 hr 40 flat easy planned that day. Last of all my Mizunos are really not grippy in any way and I'm not sure I can justify trail shoes for one race just before Christmas

That's great news. Can I have your mince pie?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

If you wanted to sell your entry I have someone at work who would buy it from you.
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] - You can have my mince pie, I'm not a fan.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That's great news. Can I have your mince pie?

Yes, of course. This is only a postponement by a year IMO. Once the marathon is done I quite fancy the idea of getting some light trail shoes and getting up on the downs for a change.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Had a quick look in Jog Shop yesterday at trail shoes. They start from £40 upwards was thinking if it's worth buying a pair for the mince pie 10 as half on road half off road.

If yes then should I get shoes that best replicate my road shoes? I very rarely run off road so have little knowledge of what's out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here