Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Argus has news of a new event - Worthing Half Marathon on Valentine's Day. Could be a good one for NSC runners, especially those looking for goals in the spring (just like the Albion will be!).
On reflection I'm not sure how 'new' this is as I recall running a Worthing half in the 1990s. One thing is for sure: it will be flat as a pancake and PB territory - or potentially so.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
http://www.jogshoponline.co.uk/jogshopjog.html

Has anyone run the event above before? It sounds good but I've not done the mileage to cope with a tough 20 mile off road run

A slightly easier event this Sunday 11:00 is at Hickstead race course with an 8k (5 mile) run for a very reasonable £3 entry fee.
I've done it...low key but well organised event over the Downs, very hilly, not many aid stations - basically an old-school trail race. Great warm up for Beachy Head if you're doing that.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Advice required if possible.

I managed to buy a bib from a colleague at work for a half marathon on Sunday. It was only a few weeks ago and other than a 5m run I haven't done any training and run once a week max.

I managed a 10m run on pretty flat surface tonight in 1.18 but it killed my legs and body, I'm not sure I could have got much further. Should I slow down the pace to make the full distance on Sunday? Also it's quite a hilly course so should I go even slower?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I managed to buy a bib from a colleague at work for a half marathon on Sunday. It was only a few weeks ago and other than a 5m run I haven't done any training and run once a week max.

I managed a 10m run on pretty flat surface tonight in 1.18 but it killed my legs and body, I'm not sure I could have got much further. Should I slow down the pace to make the full distance on Sunday? Also it's quite a hilly course so should I go even slower?

Well, we've all turned up to events under-trained but this is right on the far end of the spectrum. Given your situation, your time for 10 miles is actually very respectable and at least gives grounds for optimism. But the after -effects of this might still be 'in your legs' on Sunday and a hilly course can ask your body all sorts of questions that have painful answers. If you are determined to proceed then don't for goodness sake try to run at your 10 mile pace. A 2 hour HM is fine and (if it matters to you) there'll still be plenty of folk behind you.
And on Monday morning you might find it a bit tricky to get down your stairs!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Like @GNT says it's not ideal as you're not really conditioned, but take it easy and you should be fine. Your 10m time is pretty quick by normal standards (most of us on here are happy running 8 min miles on a good day over that distance) - if you ran at that pace you'd probably be in the top 25% of finishers in most half marathons so I would ease off, and if there are steep hills just walk up them - you won't lose much time and will feel a lot better for it. Good luck and let us know how it goes

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Like @GNT says it's not ideal as you're not really conditioned, but take it easy and you should be fine. Your 10m time is pretty quick by normal standards (most of us on here are happy running 8 min miles on a good day over that distance) - if you ran at that pace you'd probably be in the top 25% of finishers in most half marathons so I would ease off, and if there are steep hills just walk up them - you won't lose much time and will feel a lot better for it. Good luck and let us know how it goes

Thanks @gbt [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] really appreciate the help.

I think completely underestimated how far it is and am already pretty sore today so will slow it right down and walk on the hills.

Hopefully it will inspire me to train properly for another one in the future if I'm still alive.

Thanks again

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks @gbt [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] really appreciate the help.

I think completely underestimated how far it is and am already pretty sore today so will slow it right down and walk on the hills.

Hopefully it will inspire me to train properly for another one in the future if I'm still alive.

Thanks again

Good luck Biffy. If you can get to your computer (!) it'll be great to see your posting on how you got on. (Brings back painful memories of my own woefully under-prepared first HM in 1989: in cheapo trainers over the Downs. Had no clue what I was doing, never trained on hills or X-country, no idea of distance and yet by a miracle did a 1:44. Couldn't walk downstairs for about 3 days. My only other tip is that it's the downhill bits that really murder your quads - uphills will just murder your calves! However, I was hooked!)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
:tantrum:

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. 1 hr 29 10 mile best and 2.05 half marathon and I've been bloody training :lolol:

*sulks*

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread. 1 hr 29 10 mile best and 2.05 half marathon and I've been bloody training :lolol:

*sulks*

:D Yes, but think about where you were when you started.............great progress - I've been running for 15 years and I'm not much quicker than you *double sulk with bells on*

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

*sulks*

Sub 1:30 for a 10-miler isn't too shabby, and as [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] says, look at where you've come from. There are some amazing stories of improvements on here – [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] are just two that come to mind – so just keep on going.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

*sulks*

Also don't forget that for all these people that find it so easy to run fast it can't be doing them as much good - right?!

PS _ Anyone looking to enter Brighton marathon - you need to register interest by 5pm tonight.

http://www.brightonmarathon.co.uk/2016-reopening

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks guys. Not really stropping but it should be encouraging for BillyBoy that he can pull a 1,18 out with virtually no training. Suspect he could join the speedsters,

hello from the marathon thread - as this weekend, I'm stepping down.

Preston Park run tomorrow & Sussex Half Marathon on Saturday. There is a marathon (twice round), but using the 1/2 as a training run for Dublin marathon in 2 weeks time.

So what runs are my fellow NSC runners doing this weekend?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Up late so ran hove prom rather than park so had to run into an easterly wind for 2.5k.

Started well first mile in 6:05 and was on track for a 5k pb after running the 2nd mile in 6:15 but then I slowed a little in the final push easterly and by the time of the next turn despite a sprint finish I clocked 19:18 1 second of my Hove Park pb.

Enjoyed the course more today then my first run there and finished 8th so pleased with that.

Planning a longer run tomorrow night and then another long run Wednesday after work with hills before hitting the booze hard in a 3 night jolly to Chicago. It's there marathon tomorrow and it's 25 degrees and sunny really tough conditions for all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My marathon training isn't going at all well, I just don't feel my knees are right so I'm trying to rest them and do strengthening exercises but I'm not clocking up any miles at all at the moment. I got my race pack for the Bright10 on Friday so it makes it seem real now, that's the Sunday before the marathon on the Saturday.

I have no idea what time to aim for in the marathon, it'll be a case of get it done on the day I think!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Hove Park in 21:15. Had a bit of a stomach bug over last couple of days and was not feeling too good, so time ok based on this.

Popped into Run on way home as had a bit of shoe trouble - lots of good advice - mainly to do more off road work so will be heading for Downs in the morning. Will do the Brighton 10 mile next week but try to do as much off road as possible otherwise.

Off to the colour run this afternoon to support Mrs Simgull and Simgull jnr.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Preston Park run tomorrow & Sussex Half Marathon on Saturday. There is a marathon (twice round), but using the 1/2 as a training run for Dublin marathon in 2 weeks time.

Still not 100% decided but will probably do the Jog Shop 20 as a training plod and try some new fuel out.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

I'm heading off to do the Sussex (half) marathon this morning too. I've had shin splints leading up to this and had acupuncture yesterday in a bid to try and get round without the pain. My time has gone out the window and I'll now be happy just to get round.
I'd be interested to hear how you get on and your thoughts on the course later. Hope you have a good race

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Did The Color Run yesterday. Not really a proper run as most people walk at least bits round a crowded course. Was expecting to hate it TBH, featuring as it does forced happiness and false American accents but we went as a big group and had a real laugh. For some reason the ladies in the group enjoyed putting glitter on my bald head and we had a long pub session afterwards which is probably not ideal for Bright10 next week but was much needed.

It definitely serves as more than a camp exercise in mid Atlantic sponsorship though. One of my friends wanted to run all the way round, She used to run regularly but injured her hip and the longest she'd done in come back was 2 miles. I and another friend (who has run an 18.11 5k and a 38 min cross country 10k) paced her round and I saw that look of achievement when she finished that I got at the BM10k. There were people pushing wheelchairs around, very elderly people with walking poles, someone on crutches and several overweight looking people who would have got some fun out of serious exercise, maybe for the first time. With a bit of a boogie after and a walk to and from town the Health app registered 15k on my feet in total for the day.

If you want to get a big group together, run very slowly and abandon any cynicism you have lying around it's highly recommended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here