Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Glenn Murray

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Get a grip. It's panto booing because he's now a Palace player. Besides, he's not Brighton through and through and only 'served' the club because he was paid handsomely. If he was so loyal he'd have signed a new contract before the old one ran out.

The beardy ****.

Think you you might find every footballer is in it for the Money. I.e They would all go somewhere else if they were offered more Money. It's their job, not charity work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This. Simple. Murray was integral to our league 1 success where he brought that different dimension to our game. It has been well documented on here in the past but it WAS a massive mistake letting him go (Poyet's ego getting in the way). Murray had just scored 30 goals in a season for us, we were promoted and moving into a highly competitive league, why should he have not asked for a new contract? He had proved himself and contributed to our fantastic performances and deserved something more. Anyone on here who disagrees with this is deluded (you go to work, contribute to your organisation's success and 'should' (probably do) get rewarded with either a bonus or a pay rise - if not, I'm sure you get p$£**ed off). He SHOULD have been offered a new contract. He never wanted to go. Do you all feel the same about Ulloa? He wanted to leave! (before anyone suggests it, Ulloa was fantastic for us and do not begrudge him moving on).

The fact is - We miss him and always have since he left. I said we will rue the day by letting him go and we have (many days of pain since).

Another one rewriting history. He scored 22 goals in League 1 for us along with Barnes' 20. Just for the record, CMS scored 33 that season for Posh.
He was offered a new contract and chose not to sign it because it wasn't enough.
The next season he scored 6 goals where CMS scored 11. It wasn't until the 2012/13 season that he started scoring goals for fun. That could have been down to Holloway's coaching as he seems to be the only one who can get Dobbie to net goals. Who is to say that Murray would have done the same for us? It's all conjecture.

Dec 29, 2011
Another one rewriting history. He scored 22 goals in League 1 for us along with Barnes' 20. Just for the record, CMS scored 33 that season for Posh.
He was offered a new contract and chose not to sign it because it wasn't enough.
The next season he scored 6 goals where CMS scored 11. It wasn't until the 2012/13 season that he started scoring goals for fun. That could have been down to Holloway's coaching as he seems to be the only one who can get Dobbie to net goals. Who is to say that Murray would have done the same for us? It's all conjecture.

Murray suited poyets style more than cms. God knows why he let him go and signed cms for higher wages and 2.5m.

fair point on the 30 goals (generalising there). The contract we offered him was a derisory offer considering what we had just achieved and where we wanted to go. Of course it's all conjecture but you can make a sound decision based on fact and the fact was that Murray was delivering his potential with us. Move to a different club and it's start again, roll on the next season and there you have it. The momentum with Murray and Brighton was there for the taking, unfortunately Gus's inflated ego got in the way and as much as I like CMS, he has struggled in this division and will continue to do so; can you say the same about Murray, or is that conjecture?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
fair point on the 30 goals (generalising there). The contract we offered him was a derisory offer considering what we had just achieved and where we wanted to go. Of course it's all conjecture but you can make a sound decision based on fact and the fact was that Murray was delivering his potential with us. Move to a different club and it's start again, roll on the next season and there you have it. The momentum with Murray and Brighton was there for the taking, unfortunately Gus's inflated ego got in the way and as much as I like CMS, he has struggled in this division and will continue to do so; can you say the same about Murray, or is that conjecture?

I agree CMS struggles in this division, no conjecture there. I have heard from a club employee that the offer we made to Murray was not derisory, but that Palace offered a lot more. I mean a lot more.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
i didn't boo and would have back tomorrow.

i heard the reason he left was that he needed a lump sum to pay off his Mrs and the only way to get that was a big signing on fee for a new club. i am also sure the club offered him a pittance compared to what he could get elsewhere i.e. Palace

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
He went for the money alone.
Chose Palarse.
I didn't boo him, but couldn't care less that many did.

I agree CMS struggles in this division, no conjecture there. I have heard from a club employee that the offer we made to Murray was not derisory, but that Palace offered a lot more. I mean a lot more.

I heard something similar. However, I think our offer to Murray was derisory considering our ambition and the potential we had just harnessed, unfortunately it went A23 Northbound. The difficulty I think we all struggle with is that we offered CMS a better contract than the one we offered Murray, the rest, as we know, is history but yet, the ghost of Murray keeps returning to haunt us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I heard something similar. However, I think our offer to Murray was derisory considering our ambition and the potential we had just harnessed, unfortunately it went A23 Northbound. The difficulty I think we all struggle with is that we offered CMS a better contract than the one we offered Murray, the rest, as we know, is history but yet, the ghost of Murray keeps returning to haunt us.

There is no evidence that CMS is on more money than we offered Murray. Our wages bill was £21 million for every member of staff including players, and over half a million went to Paul Barber.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Think you you might find every footballer is in it for the Money. I.e They would all go somewhere else if they were offered more Money. It's their job, not charity work.
Exactly. And as such we shouldn't feel the need to show our eternal gratitude; meanwhile I'm sure he can cope with a bit of panto booing while he earns 20k a week.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Crikey and people wonder why there is such a shit atmosphere at the ground!?!?

If you can't boo an ex player who jumped ship to go and play for that horrible lot up the road and then scores every time he plays against us then when can you?

There is no evidence that CMS is on more money than we offered Murray. Our wages bill was £21 million for every member of staff including players, and over half a million went to Paul Barber.

I didn't mention money, I said contract (length, bonuses, clauses et al). The simple fact is that Murray did not want to go and needed security, considering how long it took him to settle 'Down South', and that he was approaching 30 years old. Not interested in how much Barber earns (although I would not sniff at that and might throw my hat in if the job becomes vacant (or should I move in to contract negotiations and player recruitment?).

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
Crikey and people wonder why there is such a shit atmosphere at the ground!?!?

If you can't boo an ex player who jumped ship to go and play for that horrible lot up the road and then scores every time he plays against us then when can you?

Or maybe because people sing songs etc about them that has no relevance to any other game we are playing. 90% of fans really couldn't care about palace!

Atmosphere is created by all fans not just a few. Get some European type chants then you will get an atmosphere!

Dec 29, 2011

It's common knowledge CMS is on a lot more than we offered Murray. Poyet didn't want Murray so made a crappy offer. He knew Murray (probably) wouldn't accept it, and would go down in history (to many fans) as rejecting our offer. If no contract was offered by Poyet, our fans would have to blame Poyet for not offering him a contract, as it stands many still blame Murray for rejecting it, even thought it wasn't meant to be accepted anyway.

Feb 14, 2010
Exactly. And as such we shouldn't feel the need to show our eternal gratitude; meanwhile I'm sure he can cope with a bit of panto booing while he earns 20k a week.

Murray went to palace of all clubs for money, but so what. He thought he was worth more and hex was right. I clapped Murray as a reaction to football managers and coaches pretending to be experts but failing to see what many of us saw and said in Murrat at the time he went. Poyet got his defence and midfield right. He got his strikers wrong. It's not hindsight. As soon as the people I go with saw CMS we knew he was not half the player Murray was and the club has made a massive mistake. Add that to the failure of our coaching and scouting staff since poyet left and I found myself clapping Murray. More as a statement that many of us fans know more about it than these self professed experts who we have scouting for us.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Or maybe because people sing songs etc about them that has no relevance to any other game we are playing. 90% of fans really couldn't care about palace!

Atmosphere is created by all fans not just a few. Get some European type chants then you will get an atmosphere!

I do hope you are :fishing:

If not you are EVERYTHING that is wrong with the modern game!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Your love for Gus is causing you to write some pretty ludicrous arguments. Drop the Gus tinted specs and accept what we can all see - had we not ludicrously opted to spunk 3m on CMS and kept our best striker we'd be in the prem by now. Poyet's fault.

Feb 14, 2010
Your love for Gus is causing you to write some pretty ludicrous arguments. Drop the Gus tinted specs and accept what we can all see - had we not ludicrously opted to spunk 3m on CMS and kept our best striker we'd be in the prem by now. Poyet's fault.

Yep. Poyet was an excellent manager. Got his defence and midfield right. But failed with his strikers. Also not hindsight. I and others said Murray was perfect for that side and said cams was a mistake when we saw him play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here