Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
By the way, I see they've evened out the playing field in the normal game this season by allowing plebs to stack transfers too now, not just premium players. An admission therefore that it was an unfair advantage last season, despite denials.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Anyone have experience of bike purchase from Evolution Cycles in Eastbourne?

Chap I work with was seriously unimpressed when in the market for a racing bike. He was advised by a bloke called Toby who was overly pushy in trying to flog seriously expensive models despite him clearly stating his budget. This Toby also kept banging on about how cycling had saved his life as he lost 8 st in weight. My colleague also thought this chap had an agenda against motorists.

All in all no purchase was made due to this Toby blokes attitude.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anybody able to supply the NSC league entry details por favour? Have tried panning through this thread but you cyclistes have all got verbal diarrirriieehoroea and I could be here all year trying to find the right post. Cheers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, they are both set up.

Use this link to go to the Leagues page.

Regular League ID is 77324
Purist League ID is 77325

If you want to run a team in both leagues you will need to use two different log ins, as us non premium paupers are only allowed one team each. I will certainly be running a team in each to help make up the numbers.

Can we reply to this post to keep it moving through the thread for the next few weeks, please. That way it will make sure everyone sees it who is likely to join.

Anybody able to supply the NSC league entry details por favour? Have tried panning through this thread but you cyclistes have all got verbal diarrirriieehoroea and I could be here all year trying to find the right post. Cheers.

There you go. You going Purist, normal or both?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Chap I work with was seriously unimpressed when in the market for a racing bike. He was advised by a bloke called Toby who was overly pushy in trying to flog seriously expensive models despite him clearly stating his budget. This Toby also kept banging on about how cycling had saved his life as he lost 8 st in weight. My colleague also thought this chap had an agenda against motorists.

Never been in, but I know that they're a Trek & Scott distributor for road bikes - neither of which particularly appeal to me.

I have two rules on budget when spending on high value items - push the boat out as far as I can afford/justify, then STICK to it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There was a time, back in the good old days, when your Local Bike Shop man was too honest for his own good.

I guess the money currently swilling around cycling could be turning Mr LBS' head.
I always have my guard up with my LBS, lovely bloke but I don't trust him as far as I can throw him.

Your man did the right thing, if he's not happy walk away, plenty more shops in the high street.
It being lesser Sussex I'm not sure if this is close or not, but send him off to In Gear http://ingearcycles.co.uk/
I've never been myself so it's not a recommendation as such, but they certainly have a great reputation.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Aaarrggghhh

WTF have Cervelo done.
Taken the bestest bikes in the peloton and P5'ed them, tossers.

View attachment 50360

Still I'm liking the look of the kids Dawes.

Right enough of In-gear, back to James Bond.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, they are both set up.

Use this link to go to the Leagues page.

Regular League ID is 77324
Purist League ID is 77325

If you want to run a team in both leagues you will need to use two different log ins, as us non premium paupers are only allowed one team each. I will certainly be running a team in each to help make up the numbers.

Can we reply to this post to keep it moving through the thread for the next few weeks, please. That way it will make sure everyone sees it who is likely to join.

Bold Flyers are in!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hello geeks. I'm after a bit of advice. I need to replace the rims on my bike. They are currently Mavic Sup T217 which they do not make any more which I understand means they are 17mm and they have 36 spoke holes. I use my bike for city riding and going on trails so they need to be reasonably strong for pot-holes and the tree roots I encounter but not uber mountain bike strong. I want to keep my current hubs as they are reasopnably good and prefer not to throw stuff away for no reason. I am happy to spend a reasonable but sensible amount to get something good and suitable for my needs. If it makes any difference my bike is made by Condor. Thanks in advance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hello geeks. I'm after a bit of advice. I need to replace the rims on my bike. They are currently Mavic Sup T217 which they do not make any more which I understand means they are 17mm and they have 36 spoke holes. I use my bike for city riding and going on trails so they need to be reasonably strong for pot-holes and the tree roots I encounter but not uber mountain bike strong. I want to keep my current hubs as they are reasopnably good and prefer not to throw stuff away for no reason. I am happy to spend a reasonable but sensible amount to get something good and suitable for my needs. If it makes any difference my bike is made by Condor. Thanks in advance.

The answer will turn up here, eventually:-
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=284662

It's at times like this I realise just how busy a forum NSC is.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Are these wheels 700c or 26"? Mavic used to label both sizes as SUP as this was the manufacturing process, I think. If MTB size you want something like the Mavic XC or XM range. If you are riding a 700c tourer/hybrid then you probably want the Mavic A 719 rims. Either way replacing your rims and having new wheels built on to old hubs is far from the cheapest option.

For example:

2 x Mavic a719 rims = £80
2 x 36 spokes = £30-£40
2 x Wheel Build cost = £50-£60
Grand Total = £160-£180

Actually scrap that do get them built if it is a 700c wheel, they will be much stronger if handbuilt. My wheels on my best bike were handbuilt, by me, and they are bomb proof. If it is a 26" wheel it may be cheaper to buy a built wheelset though.

I should also mention that these prices are pretty much off the top of my head, bar the rim price.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are these wheels 700c or 26"? Mavic used to label both sizes as SUP as this was the manufacturing process, I think. If MTB size you want something like the Mavic XC or XM range. If you are riding a 700c tourer/hybrid then you probably want the Mavic A 719 rims. Either way replacing your rims and having new wheels built on to old hubs is far from the cheapest option.

For example:

2 x Mavic a719 rims = £80
2 x 36 spokes = £30-£40
2 x Wheel Build cost = £50-£60
Grand Total = £160-£180

Actually scrap that do get them built if it is a 700c wheel, they will be much stronger if handbuilt. My wheels on my best bike were handbuilt, by me, and they are bomb proof. If it is a 26" wheel it may be cheaper to buy a built wheelset though.

I should also mention that these prices are pretty much off the top of my head, bar the rim price.

Thanks. Can you tell me what the 700c is please? Is this a size?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Thanks. Can you tell me what the 700c is please? Is this a size?

700c is the standard race bike/touring bike wheel size. 26" is the standard MTB size wheel. Or like Bold says, effectively a 29" wheel.

So, in layman's terms is it a MTB size wheel or is it bigger than that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION].
To cover my bases I've set up a Pure Stat account and have requested permission to come aboard 77325.

Can you let me in please!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey! going to be a long hard season for you lot running two teams. And to think SB takes the piss out of me :rolleyes:

I've resisted putting any bets on for stage one today. Too much choice, and the bookies are being really stingey on the yougsters that could make a showing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here