Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common sayings people get wrong

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
also people dont technically get it wrong, but it make no sense what so ever, "have your cake and eat it". its cake. its purpose is to be eaten. why would i want to have it otherwise.

It means you want it both ways . You want to eat your cake and still have it, (maybe to eat later with a nice cup of tea).

Dec 4, 2013
I did not know that!

I now have to go back over a number of conversations and mentally chastise myself in retrospect.

Thank you

Don't thank me - knowing is a curse! I've just opened up a whole new avenue of irritation for you as I thnk it is the most misused expressio. if you use it correctly no-one will know what you mean!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Probably should be on another thread but reading some posts on social media, can all those using the word 'hun' (for honey) in questions or observations please go and boil your head.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
While I'm not sure its 100% accurate to this thread, the American habit of saying "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" annoys me more than it should do.

Entirely rational. File under the insidious creep of "season" (instead of "series") and "gotten" (instead of "become").

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Regardless of the exact wording of the original quote, this is one of the examples of the language developing and changing. Through common usage, 'Money is the root of all evil' has become a saying in its own right, albeit derived from an earlier, longer, more specific phrase.

May hell freeze over before 'would of' becomes standard, but I think it's fair to say that 'Money is the root of all evil' is now an accepted part of the vernacular.

I agree totally.

But it is a biblical quotation, and if one is writing or talking about something that Jesus is supposed to have said, there is a world of difference between "Money is the root of all evil" and "The Love of Money is the root of all evil".

In other words,If anybody says "It says in the Bible that Money is the root of all evil", they are wrong.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hmm. I agree the verse is saying that. But people often leave out 'all kinds' which assigns the love of money to being behind every evil when with 'all kinds' it means lots of different sorts, but crucially not every sort.

I agree! Maybe we should have a separate theological discussion thread, although some of this might broaden the horizons of others with narrow views about religion.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Not a phrase I hear daily any more - but I get annoyed when people say "it's a mute point" rather than "it's a moot point". Listen to Talksport for about 15 minutes and you'll hear the destruction of the english language laid out in its full unadulterated glory - even given the inanities of the norf and sarf London accents that seem prevalent. Eg: Ray Parlour "ooo was you finking abaht playin in midfield".

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Anythink gets on my nerves more than it probably should.

St. Pancreas and London Houston were two I used to hear when I worked at Brighton Station that annoyed me as well.

Watching America TV as a kid I thought there were 3 major coastal cities in California, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Ellais ... fool

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Borrow and lend regularly get mixed up.

Would you borrow me a fiver?

Can I lend your *******?

This is an interesting one. I think it's a dialect thing, rather than something that some people get wrong. If you go to Birmingham, and quite a few places up north they use these terms in this way all the time. As in 'Can I lend a tenner from you' instead of 'Can I borrow a tenner'. It stumped me at first, but I got used to it, but you do have to work out which way round they're meaning (although to be fair, no-one has ever come up to me offering to lend me a tenner...)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Instead of saying "as dry as a bone" my dear Wife says "dry as a dog", bless!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Butter wouldn't melt in his/her mouth", or the more usual abbreviated "butter wouldn't melt" is a saying I have never quite understood. People seem to use it when they see a picture of someone or something apparently "cute" - often someones BAYBEE or something. But surely it implies a coldness inside of them, which is hardly a compliment.

"Awww...butter wouldn't melt, hun"
"So you're saying Cressida is some sort of REPTILE ?"
*blocked*

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
While I'm not sure its 100% accurate to this thread, the American habit of saying "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" annoys me more than it should do.

I saw this thread just now and the first thing I did is check for this. It infuriates me for some reason and on the rare occasion I hear someone say it (a few of the grads in our office use the phrase!) I can't help but publicly lambast them. There is getting a phrase muddled, and then there is getting it so wrong that what you say is the opposite of the intent. Even worse, nearly all of them insist that they are correct in their usage - no doubt reinforced by American television etc.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
But surely it implies a coldness inside of them, which is hardly a compliment.

I don't think it's supposed to be a compliment, although I think you're right that it's used like that now. I always took it to mean that someone looked pure, or cute, or cool whatever, but actually were fake.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
"cheap at half the price". erm, dont be daft, that means its expensive. you mean "cheap at twice the price". the former may be allowed to market stall holder trying to make a sly, comical point, knowing their wares are tat.

"Cheap at half the price" is the original and correct version of the saying. In Middle English, cheap, or "cheep" also meant goods or property, so the street cry, "Cheap at half the price!", was the Middle Ages' equivalent of today's shop window sign, "All stock 50% off". Chaucer uses this meaning in, "...greet cheep is holde at litel pris...". That is to say, where there is an abundance, "greet cheep" = great supply of goods, the price is low "..holde at litel price" = is valued at a low price. Possibly the earliest reference to supply and demand! The corruption, "Cheap at twice the price" would have appeared through a misunderstanding of the original meaning of "cheep".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here