Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've just given in to the fact that I HATE running and always will do, even after the Brighton half. I would love to be one of these SICKOS who enjoy it but it's not happening.

Carrying on the "more time on your legs" mantra I did another 4 miles last night, so that's 3 runs in 4 evenings totalling 14 miles. Will try 6-8 miles on Friday night which will inevitably mean i'm crawling up to my seat in WSU!

The one huge positive is that, where I would usually have stopped (when my chest gets really tight) I now plod on through, albeit at a pathetic pace more likened to walking.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've just given in to the fact that I HATE running and always will do, even after the Brighton half. I would love to be one of these SICKOS who enjoy it but it's not happening.

Carrying on the "more time on your legs" mantra I did another 4 miles last night, so that's 3 runs in 4 evenings totalling 14 miles. Will try 6-8 miles on Friday night which will inevitably mean i'm crawling up to my seat in WSU!

The one huge positive is that, where I would usually have stopped (when my chest gets really tight) I now plod on through, albeit at a pathetic pace more likened to walking.

I totally get your point. And at least you can be safe in the knowledge that you are more representative of the nation than the rest of us on this thread.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Knee problem ! Right knee very sore after a 9 mile run (prep for Worthing Sunday) I use the cold spray, would a knee support help ? Not great reviews on running sites but getting a bit desperate as the Btn Marathon will be a big strain. Thanks.

Lie on floor. Grab ankle and slowly bring up to touch buttock. Stop immediately if any pain. Hold for 30 seconds. Feel the quads in the thigh stretch. If no help ice every hour.good luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Short fast run this morning. Mental week, so this was the first time out since Sunday, but needed to do SOMETHING!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1046689032
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], yes I'll be at Worthing on Sunday - really looking forward to it, even though the first part of the route looks a bit odd. As close as possible to 1:40 for me, hopefully; you've gotta be thinking sub 1:30, no?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Out of interest I did hill repeats (not very well) this morning - only a few feet difference between garmin and strava on the upload.

https://www.strava.com/activities/490059617

Interesting - I guess it probably depends on how the watch logs it in comparison to Strava. I had one a while back where the site for my TomTom watch reported elevation as 172 ft, and Strava said... 48ft

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting - I guess it probably depends on how the watch logs it in comparison to Strava. I had one a while back where the site for my TomTom watch reported elevation as 172 ft, and Strava said... 48ft

Are you uploading from watch to strava, or recording the run directly on strava on your phone (sorry if this is in earlier posts) ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Are you uploading from watch to strava, or recording the run directly on strava on your phone (sorry if this is in earlier posts) ?

I have a vintage Garmin 305. I have to open Garmin express, connect Garmin watch, get synced, then open Garmin Connect and that syncs from G. express and then Garmin Connect sends it to Strava. A right palaver. So all elevations would be from my watch.

On Tuesday I ran back along the cliffs along the footpath 1metre from the edge. I wonder if the satellites also use mapping as I was nearer to the under cliff path (1metre but few hundred feet up) than the bike path/main footpath which is 20 metres away.

Maybe it's the ripples from black holes discovered today?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've just looked at the map of the run and it shows me returning beyond the cliffs floating along in mid air. I reckon it's placed me on the undercliff.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Short fast run this morning. Mental week, so this was the first time out since Sunday, but needed to do SOMETHING!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1046689032
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], yes I'll be at Worthing on Sunday - really looking forward to it, even though the first part of the route looks a bit odd. As close as possible to 1:40 for me, hopefully; you've gotta be thinking sub 1:30, no?

I've never run sub 1:30 before but I did run 1:30:46 a few weeks back in training so my sights are on sub 1:28 which will beat a mate of mine from works pb.

Hopefully see you there Sunday, winds have picked up a bit, but nothing to severe. Currently 12 MPH Northerly's

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Its from the watch to Strava when docked. My understanding is that for whatever reason Strava doesn't use the elevation record from the watch but works it out from the map - and only includes gain where it is over 10 metres.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Its from the watch to Strava when docked. My understanding is that for whatever reason Strava doesn't use the elevation record from the watch but works it out from the map - and only includes gain where it is over 10 metres.

What a dilemma. Soft path good on feet and reducing body shock for 6 miles without any elevation for NSCStrava or hard bike path bad on feet with body stress and elevation on NSCStrava? It has to be the latter, of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Short run with pickups this morning. They're fun. Imagine running behind someone at easy pace and they're confident you're not going to overtake them. Suddenly you steam past like Guy Butters chasing a donut, only to put the brakes on as they accelerate. Repeat a minute later :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Short run with pickups this morning. They're fun. Imagine running behind someone at easy pace and they're confident you're not going to overtake them. Suddenly you steam past like Guy Butters chasing a donut, only to put the brakes on as they accelerate. Repeat a minute later :)

I love that bullying type of running. Tomorrow I'm running Parkrun easy with 10 pickups. Will look a right t**t. It's what the training plan dictates though. Looking forward to Sunday's 12 miles @ marathon pace, probably settle on 8:30 to 8:40.
Got the TK Maxx Brooke's Cascadia £30 from Worthing today. Red and Black and very comfy, will be floating in mid air again. Cheers for tip off [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION].

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

...also funny how the 'easy' pace feels really easy after gunning it for a bit........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just signed up for The Moyleman marathon next month around Lewes!! What was I thinking!! :0

Well done. Looks great. I think I recall [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] doing it last year. The Harvey's on the finish line is a classic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here