Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With Juniors bike now on ebay and [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION]'s post in mind, after checking his bikes status, I had a little scroll through what was ending soon in 'road racing bikes'.

Blimey is there a world shortage of road bikes or something?

It's you've got a Trek, Spech, Giant or any other known brand it's a license to print money.
Take this one:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/specializ...1108284727?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2ed2fce537

A 3 year old Allez, 15 hours to go, and already only £150 off RRP.

Surely people can see they are better off saving for a few more months and buying a brand new, better specced one.
Or spending the £300 on a new Carrera or something, built in the same factory with the same spec.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Never tried getting into here before but will give it a bash ... need some help.

Know bugger all about cycling but have now bought 2 bikes on recommendation from NSC - both for Mrs!!

Last year I got her a Halcyon Aquilla, very nice but her dodgy knee doesn't stand up well so a few weeks ago I sold it on ebay (for the same price as I paid!) and then went out and got her an electric "thing". She's over the moon and now even talking about doing some commuting. Now our jaunts, which were 2-3 miles have become 8-10 and I need something better than my current wreck.

Got it into my head that I want 2nd hand as I'll (eventually) find a good deal (unwanted pres, failed attempt at exercise etc) and I'm not looking for anything to do any kind of racing or long distance (7-10 miles would likely be it)

I think a budget of £300 will do the trick so none are for the purist but maybe others have been in the same boat recently and can save me a bit of effort! Having done a bit of research I've come up with these. Any views on these or if I should eliminate 1 or more or add others? I recognise it can be a pretty endless list but thought I'd give it a go just in case

B'Twin Triban 5
Scott Speedster 60
Carrera TdF Ltd
Felt F95
Fuji 25
Boardman Road Sport

I've got a B'twin triban 5. I'm not a geek - it's my first Road bike, but I love it! Purists will look down their noise as it's a triple group set, but I love it!

I've upgraded the tyres, as the stock ones are prone to p*******s, but that's it.

It'll have is first proper test in 3 weeks time - the City of Birmingham sprint triathlon!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Anyone looking down their nose at my triple will get it broken.

[MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION], with that mileage just aim for comfort.

Comfort is definitely my #1 requirement. I guess that involves a number of factors including weight, riding position, 'ease of ride' etc. Sitting on something in a showroom doesn't really tell me anything so happy to listen to any views

I've got a B'twin triban 5. I'm not a geek - it's my first Road bike, but I love it! Purists will look down their noise as it's a triple group set, but I love it!

I've upgraded the tyres, as the stock ones are prone to p*******s, but that's it.

It'll have is first proper test in 3 weeks time - the City of Birmingham sprint triathlon!

Thanks, helpful, it will stay on my short list!

Good luck in the event!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Comfort is definitely my #1 requirement. I guess that involves a number of factors including weight, riding position, 'ease of ride' etc. Sitting on something in a showroom doesn't really tell me anything so happy to listen to any views

Thanks, helpful, it will stay on my short list!

Good luck in the event!

As is always the case, the Boardman is the best specced bike out of that list.
I assume it's also the most expensive 'cheap' bike, and does mean dealing with Halfords.

As for comfort there's plenty you can do, they don't go hand in hand with speed so don't really get talked about here.
An extra layer of bar tape, slightly wider tyres, padded seat will all take the 'edge' off what is a racing bike.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've got loads that I should be doing today.

But I appear to have woken early, put my cycle gear on and am about to drive to Fontwell for Wiggle's The Long One sportive. On my own.

Shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got loads that I should be doing today.

But I appear to have woken early, put my cycle gear on and am about to drive to Fontwell for Wiggle's The Long One sportive. On my own.

Shit.
You'll be riding around Stat Country.
Good luck and be safe.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I have a large and breakable nose but I believe in you moto, you can power through with a compact!

I didn't mean it. I honestly don't give a stuff about what people ride or wear so get a bit bolshy when some do. Its all about riding. Of course a Gove of FKWs will raise a grin though.

You just know [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] is doing the 'epic' today don't you?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As is always the case, the Boardman is the best specced bike out of that list.
I assume it's also the most expensive 'cheap' bike, and does mean dealing with Halfords.

As for comfort there's plenty you can do, they don't go hand in hand with speed so don't really get talked about here.
An extra layer of bar tape, slightly wider tyres, padded seat will all take the 'edge' off what is a racing bike.

I'm sure I'll be back at some point looking for more 'comfort tips'

I guess with the Boardman being a Halfords bike it will represent my best opportunity in the 2nd hand market. Seen a few at around £300 but too far to go. One will come up nearby soon, but somehow hoping one of the others does first!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
OK SB, I always take your advice, but for me riding 2 consecutive days is not good. Woke up with stiff legs, but ignored that. 7 or so miles in doubts crept in but I decided to see how it went. Did a PR on the first climb, then when going up the second time, I really blew up and decided to call it a day. Odd thing is I did a PR up the climb on the way back. A few fleeting cramps vindicated the decision. Just had a biggie sat here.

Am still aiming to do the full REMF ride, so will do a scheduled long ride next sunday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK SB, I always take your advice, (well there's your first mistake) but for me riding 2 consecutive days is not good. Woke up with stiff legs, but ignored that. 7 or so miles in doubts crept in but I decided to see how it went. Did a PR on the first climb, then when going up the second time, I really blew up and decided to call it a day. Odd thing is I did a PR up the climb on the way back. A few fleeting cramps vindicated the decision. Just had a biggie sat here.

Am still aiming to do the full REMF ride, so will do a scheduled long ride next sunday.
That's got sod all to do with your legs.

Clearly your head talked you out of that ride. (we all do it).

I doubt you're riding depleted, but if you're cramping you need to drink more before/during/after, than you currently are.
A nice big bowl of porridge before heading off with a positive mental attitude, drinking every 15 minutes minimum, and you'd have smashed it today.

All this coming from a bloke who spent yesterday pm lying on the sofa watching Deadliest Catch.

If [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] is still out there I guarantee he is currently riding past school fates and the wafting smell of bbq's.
I bet he's starving hungry. :lol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I doubt you're riding depleted, but if you're cramping you need to drink more before/during/after, than you currently are.

No, normal pre ride drinks as usual. I drank plenty before the legs gave up. Possibly more than normal. I packed in the porridge because its a bit of a kerfuffle and I'm not patient enough to wait before going out after eating it.

I expect PM to have cruised through his ride this morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, normal pre ride drinks as usual. I drank plenty before the legs gave up. Possibly more than normal. I packed in the porridge because its a bit of a kerfuffle and I'm not patient enough to wait before going out after eating it.

I expect PM to have cruised through his ride this morning.
I'm laughing lots at that.

Oh the kerfuffle of porridge!!
The night before I put twice the quantity of milk onto the oats, in a bowl, and leave it in the fridge.
Microwave for 3 minutes then eat.
The porridge is ready before I've got both eyes open.
If you're doing decent rides you may well have to suck it up, in every sense. You don't ride your motorbike without fuel.

You got me thinking about drinking, I surprised myself when I realised I drank 3 litres in just 60 miles last Saturday.
I never used to drink too much, but I couldn't get enough fluid in quick enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know how I'm struggling with the ebay price of named brands, that 3 year old Allez sold for £408, less than £100 below RRP.

Anyway I've just been to Halfords (they can't sell the Carrera 650c TdF because they sent pedals without reflectors, so are waiting for the swap :facepalm:) and noted with [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] in mind they have this currently at £399:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992052_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

and the better specced Boardman Road for £499.
Mr Allez seller must be wetting himself laughing, day light and robbery.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a chance.

Feel extra rubbish watching the pros pissing up the mountain to end today's stage.
We've still got Pogue's ride to look at, once the pleasure of his ride and enjoyment of the stories passes, that's where the kickin comes in, the pros can do what they damn well please. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well, I'm home, beer in hand, and I've had a long soak in the bath. Lovely ride today - the weather was fantastic and the scenery was stunning. Hampshire really is beautiful.

Loads of fetes, SB, and yes, the barbecue odours did reach me. Worse was the amount of houses in picturesque villages that seemed to be cooking bacon ALL MORNING and wafting the fumes at the cyclists.

I ate loads of flap jack, and loads of jelly beans, so I was fine. But God, a BLT would have been beautiful...

My knee's buggered now. After the ride it was an hour's drive home - and my right knee has seized up. How am I going to get to the pub?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, I'm home, beer in hand, and I've had a long soak in the bath. Lovely ride today - the weather was fantastic and the scenery was stunning. Hampshire really is beautiful.

Loads of fetes, SB, and yes, the barbecue odours did reach me. Worse was the amount of houses in picturesque villages that seemed to be cooking bacon ALL MORNING and wafting the fumes at the cyclists.

I ate loads of flap jack, and loads of jelly beans, so I was fine. But God, a BLT would have been beautiful...

My knee's buggered now. After the ride it was an hour's drive home - and my right knee has seized up. How am I going to get to the pub?
I got to the point of wondering how weird it would look, if a fat roadie in lycra was waving money through the school railings in order to get a burger.
I decided as I couldn't outrun the police I'd better just go hungry.

That bit of Hants is beautiful, very 'wannabe Sussex!!', it's not advisable to drop another 5 miles south or West.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You know how I'm struggling with the ebay price of named brands, that 3 year old Allez sold for £408, less than £100 below RRP.

Anyway I've just been to Halfords (they can't sell the Carrera 650c TdF because they sent pedals without reflectors, so are waiting for the swap :facepalm:) and noted with [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] in mind they have this currently at £399:-

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_992052_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

and the better specced Boardman Road for £499.
Mr Allez seller must be wetting himself laughing, day light and robbery.

I was up in Halfords yesterday trying a few on.

It may well be sacrilege but I'm now veering towards a hybrid. The Halfords fella was pretty useless in giving advice (such gems as "it's up to you" and "whatever you feel most comfortable with") but I did feel the hybrid gave me a more comfortable position. As a 50+ this is likely to be mightily important!

I'm back home and contemplating

You were right about the price of the one I pm'd you about .... you need to scroll down a bit when it opens

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-CARBON-fibre-105-TRIPLE-ROAD-BIKE-56cm-/281363468691?nma=true&si=lrVd2gVT1elmbBxtlidF39BuT7c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here