Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sammy Lee - joining Southampton FC (NOT assistant manager at the Albion)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
brown-hamster.jpg

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Only insofar as they played great football and hopefully that is the style we will be looking to replicate.

In order to play like that great team of the 80's you need great players too. sadly cannot see that we will have that quality available.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On paper this coaching team seems to tick the box "Premier League Ready".

Sammy Lee's Academy credentials will be useful, as will his contacts and extensive knowledge of the Championship. I was concerned that Hyypia might be a tad quiet and studious, and his failure to arrest Leverkusen's bad run last season was worrying me, but to get Sammy Lee on board should add a bit of bite, a bit of Jim Telfer to Sami's Ian McGeechan if you will.

However, we still lack quality in the squad and it doesn't matter how good the coaches and facilities are if we don't make some good signings. That said, who wouldn't fail to be impressed with the personnel and facilities at this club now?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Sammy Lee and Phil Davis - never seen together in the same room...just saying...
phil.jpg

sammylee_20070728.jpg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
On paper this coaching team seems to tick the box "Premier League Ready".

Sammy Lee's Academy credentials will be useful, as will his contacts and extensive knowledge of the Championship. I was concerned that Hyypia might be a tad quiet and studious, and his failure to arrest Leverkusen's bad run last season was worrying me, but to get Sammy Lee on board should add a bit of bite, a bit of Jim Telfer to Sami's Ian McGeechan if you will.

However, we still lack quality in the squad and it doesn't matter how good the coaches and facilities are if we don't make some good signings. That said, who wouldn't fail to be impressed with the personnel and facilities at this club now?

Absolutely.

Can we manage to get those 5 top quality signings we need in, within budget ? ???

Perhaps 2 excellent season long loans from Liverpool, and then 3 decent permanent transfers in.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Absolutely.

Can we manage to get those 5 top quality signings we need in, within budget ? ???

Perhaps 2 excellent season long loans from Liverpool, and then 3 decent permanent transfers in.
I am not sure there is a huge connection between Lee/Hyppia and the current Liverpool setup,..... sadly fans dont have a say where they would prefer their budding starlets to go out on loan.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
He hasn't actually done anything really. His first stint at Bolton saw him manage them for a third of a season - ONE win in 11 games. His second stint at Bolton coincided with a period of them being utter crap, and Coyle getting sacked.

Seriously, what is it that makes so many people insist this is a "fantastic" appointment? It really isn't. I'd say it's a very safe appointment. Nothing remarkable about it at all.

You should probably refer to the days of his assistant manager stint with Fat Sam... He was utter class leading the back room team. Considering we've had NJ in for a season... this is like signing Ronaldo!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
He hasn't actually done anything really. His first stint at Bolton saw him manage them for a third of a season - ONE win in 11 games. His second stint at Bolton coincided with a period of them being utter crap, and Coyle getting sacked.

Seriously, what is it that makes so many people insist this is a "fantastic" appointment? It really isn't. I'd say it's a very safe appointment. Nothing remarkable about it at all.

9:30 in on this video.... who is that bloke on the far right again....??

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why are people wànking over this? Great appointment? How do you know? He was at Bolton FFS.

He might prove to be the best coach we've ever had, Hyppia might prove the best manager but personally I think it's more likely they'll both prove to be bang average.

Agreed. I am not anti Hyppia at all, I desperately want him to succeed, but I just have this nagging feeling that we are due a tough season, 5 years since the last one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here