Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But this isn't about 'a bit of bad news' - it's about a prediction by a leading Brexit economist that leaving the EU will lead to the virtual elimination of UK manufacturing, a situation which, far from being bad news, was seen by the good professor as being something that shouldn't frighten us. Why on earth should you criticise Remainers for drawing attention to something you have just voted for?
I wasn't particularly aiming that comment at a single piece of news. More at the overriding sense that there are many people, judging from some of the comments on here and in the comments sections of news sources, that would be all too delighted for things to go wrong. I just don't understand that. For instance, if we were in the aftermath of a general election, and my preferred party didn't win, I'd still hope that the incumbent party made a success of things, after all, I still live and work in that country. As a nation we have to work for the common good, and gloating on the part of leavers and doom-mongering on the part of remainers is unhelpful. What's happened has happened, like it or loathe it, we need to move on and accept the current reality which is that we've voted for Brexit, but no-one knows quite knows what that will mean.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Some mistake surely, you can't be impressed by Davis can you? After all this is someone who submitted his plan for a post EU future into a competition and got beaten by a 15 year old?!

I also think Davis is the most impressive of the bunch. He argues eloquently whether one
agrees or disagrees with his points. By contrast Boris tends to talk in shallow soundbites. There is a debate to be had so it
is important that voices who want to have that debate are heard and perhaps the more partisan tabloid politicians on both sides ignored.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Patrick Minford is the ex head of my department. He is a nice guy but a complete LOON. He was an advisor to Thatcher and one of the architects of the poll tax, so his track record on economics isn't very good.

he might be, and certainly looks at the economy in certain way. i came in from the languaged used, having it read the source (which is only about two page essay), rather than going from a a Guardian piece (where the term "eliminate manufacturing" comes from). the nuances of his arguments and data could be argued amongst economists for years im sure, the fact is leaving the EU doesnt lead to one way consequences, there are immediate quantifiable advantages from lower tariffs with the rest of the world. most on the remain side seem to think that all trade will steeply rise in price from leaving the EU, and that the EU trade is a substantial proportion of our economy, when it is ~15% at most. the vast majority of the economy has no interaction with the single market, yet has to follow EU regulations and law to support that minority.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
merging threads is a minefield for el pres

This took over as the main thread,...............but thrown into the mix is the perhaps somewhat "to some" visually appealing "HARD BREXIT" :lol:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I wasn't particularly aiming that comment at a single piece of news. More at the overriding sense that there are many people, judging from some of the comments on here and in the comments sections of news sources, that would be all too delighted for things to go wrong. I just don't understand that. For instance, if we were in the aftermath of a general election, and my preferred party didn't win, I'd still hope that the incumbent party made a success of things, after all, I still live and work in that country. As a nation we have to work for the common good, and gloating on the part of leavers and doom-mongering on the part of remainers is unhelpful. What's happened has happened, like it or loathe it, we need to move on and accept the current reality which is that we've voted for Brexit, but no-one knows quite knows what that will mean.

Sadly Imp is itching for Brexit to fail along with Hamster and a few others. Now is the time to pull together to make the best of what we have and not continually undermine everything

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We should all want Brexit to suceed now.

Which is why we need Best Brexit not Soft Brexit or Hard Brexit.

It is not a lazy binary choice, let's just get the best deal possible.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The thread is a metaphor for the chaos of Brexit.....we don't know what we're doing !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We should all want Brexit to suceed now.

Which is why we need Best Brexit not Soft Brexit or Hard Brexit.

It is not a lazy binary choice, let's just get the best deal possible.

indeed. "soft" and "hard" are just paper talk anyway, they dont say anything more than brexit.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Which one is the official thread and which one is the unofficial thread?

This is the official thread that served in the hours of the "heat" of battle...

The other is maintained out of respect.

HARD BREXIT appeals as it looks good..

Stop confusing matters THEY........Remain will claim that not only do "we not know" (well mainly Remain) what Brexit is......

We (well you and and a few others) will be now not knowing which thread is which :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This is the official thread that served in the hours of the "heat" of battle...

The other is maintained out of respect.

HARD BREXIT appeals as it looks good..

Stop confusing matters THEY........Remain will claim that not only do "we not know" (well mainly Remain) what Brexit is......

We (well you and and a few others) will be now not knowing which thread is which :lolol:

I getcha.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I getcha.

Actually,this got me thinking....

Are you Remain or Leave i vaguely had you down as "soft" Remain :lolol:
[MENTION=17963]Hampster Gull[/MENTION] for example is "Hard" Remain

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Actually,this got me thinking....

Are you Remain or Leave i vaguely had you down as "soft" Remain :lolol:
[MENTION=17963]Hampster Gull[/MENTION] for example is "Hard" Remain

I was remain. We're all Brexiteers now, so I'm a Brexit Soft now.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'd start a thread up, but................................

Go for it "SOFT BREXIT"

see how long it lasts on page 1- before [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] "Swoops" in disgust rips it down of the front page :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
he might be, and certainly looks at the economy in certain way. i came in from the languaged used, having it read the source (which is only about two page essay), rather than going from a a Guardian piece (where the term "eliminate manufacturing" comes from). the nuances of his arguments and data could be argued amongst economists for years im sure, the fact is leaving the EU doesnt lead to one way consequences, there are immediate quantifiable advantages from lower tariffs with the rest of the world. most on the remain side seem to think that all trade will steeply rise in price from leaving the EU, and that the EU trade is a substantial proportion of our economy, when it is ~15% at most. the vast majority of the economy has no interaction with the single market, yet has to follow EU regulations and law to support that minority.

If the government could produce quick zero tariffs with all other countries then I'd be cautiously optimistic. My concern is that there's an overriding assumption that other countries want free trade with the UK, when there's limited evidence to support that.

In terms of exports, the main UK ones are service based in nature. Demand for these from emerging markets is limited at best.

Trump is a protectionist by nature, Clinton is now backtracking on TTIP, so the US is unlikely to go full steam ahead on free trade deal. China is a manufacturing exporter who steals intellectual property, India is almost impossible to deal with as so bureaucratic in nature.

Of the EU countries, Germany and the RoI are substantial exporters to the UK, so would be keen on free trade, but the other 26 countries are more indifferent, so it is going to be a tricky negotiation to pull off.............and that's once 'we' (presumably May, Fox, Hammond, Davis and Johnson) decide what 'we' want, and even amongst those five there seems to be significant differences of opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here