Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Gregg's Vegan Sausage Roll

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, they've changed their business because obviously they used to be a bakers.

What got my interest was a few years ago when the google algorithms brought up a negative image of Greggs when searched, an altered logo with the scrap line "serving shit to scum for over 70 years".

Instead of freaking out, they launched a comedic interchange with Google via Twitter which has retrospectively been described as textbook PR.

Excellent response. https://www.thedrum.com/news/2014/0...laims-greggs-has-sold-shit-scum-over-70-years

Like when the article looks at other glitches such as the image google maps found for the village of Skellow :eek: and PCWorld Google review used in Gregg's response "Like hell but with worse customer service".

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Seems to be a PR win on the face of it. My daughter had never even been in a Gregg's until yesterday. She popped in just to check out the vegan sausage roll only to find it had sold out. If it's flying off the shelves and getting new people in the shop it's a win.

Plus if it tastes meaty, nothing dies to make it and it's better for the environment, why wouldn't you?

Last edited:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Blimey. Linda McCartney launched her sausages and burgers over 30!! Years ago. And most fast food chains/places cater for vegetarians and in recent years vegans and have done for decades. And development in food tech now makes it easier to replicate meat products. It makes ££ sense to do so. Any surprise or shock at this it is a bit belated to say the least.

Why do vegetarians/vegans want to replicate meat, make it look like meat, taste like meat...why ? Be vegetarian eat it as it is.

After all meatetarians don't try and make their steak look like a carrot do they ? ???

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Why do vegetarians/vegans want to replicate meat, make it look like meat, taste like meat...why ? Be vegetarian eat it as it is.

After all meatetarians don't try and make their steak look like a carrot do they ? ???
It really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. A large number of Vegetarians were meat eaters for a long time and made a conscious decision so stop eating meat. But not because they don't like the taste of meat. You might as well ask why people who give up alcohol drink alcohol free beer/wine. Or diabetics eat sugar free products. Standard social media reply - I don't agree with something so no-one else should do it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Because a lot of vegetarians and vegans are such for ethical reasons not because they don’t like the taste of meat. It’s a very simple concept really... I myself avoid meat tasting products but fully understand why others like them.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
It really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. A large number of Vegetarians were meat eaters for a long time and made a conscious decision so stop eating meat. But not because they don't like the taste of meat. You might as well ask why people who give up alcohol drink alcohol free beer/wine. Or diabetics eat sugar free products. Standard social media reply - I don't agree with something so no-one else should do it.

It’s not difficult to grasp but they really do seem to struggle with the concept don’t they!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

I like meat but have greatly reduced my consumption over the past year out of concern for animal welfare and environmental reasons. I shall probably go all the way and go veggie in the not too distant future. Having a convincing meat substitute would definitely help.

However, I applaud your coining of the word "meatetarian". It makes me smile. :)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just tried to buy one in Boscombe high street for the footy. Only to be told they sold out, all the bloody meat eaters buying them no one buying the meat ones, restrict your self at the buffet please.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I simply decided that animals didn't need to die for me to eat. I had, and indeed still have, no issue with meaty textures.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apparently - replacing the sausage filling with Quorn, and wrapping it in 96 layers of puff pastry. So it's a quorn sausage roll. There not bad.

You just KNOW that when they feel the need to bang on about '96 layers of puff pastry' that the whole thing is just so much PR BS.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No veggie sausage rolls in my local Greggs this morning. Looks like they are selling very well.

I like meat but have greatly reduced my consumption over the past year out of concern for animal welfare and environmental reasons. I shall probably go all the way and go veggie in the not too distant future. Having a convincing meat substitute would definitely help.

However, I applaud your coining of the word "meatetarian". It makes me smile. :)

Interesting thread. Mrs. P has been veggie since well before we met, and the Potting girls are also Veggie. No intention of going the same way but as I do most of the cooking I frankly can't be a***d to do a separate meat option and usually have what they are having. Makes the meat I do eat seem even tastier!

With regard to Gregg's new produce anything that annoys that nincompoop Morgan gets my vote. I also remember that veggies/vegans use exactly the same currency as us and suspect that Greggs are laughing all the way to the bank with lots of free publicity to boot.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Not sure if mentioned, but the EDL are protesting outside a Greggs in Manchester... Bloody snowflakes :D

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Right .......Greggs vegan “ sausage “ roll !
For research purposes yesterday morning I purchased one ....
1. Looks ok
2. Slightly salty ( and I’m a smoker )
3. Taste , smell and text just like a porky one !

I’m confused but maybe just a 7/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Hold my hands up and say I was wrong. I now know the picture of the numpties outside Greggs was nothing to do with vegan sausage rolls. My bad :wrong:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sometimes I paint my sausages orange.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here