Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March untouchable ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting to who people would prefer on Saturday March or Knockhaert. I would go for Knockhaert and hope he is up to contibuting more in attack

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Interesting to who people would prefer on Saturday March or Knockhaert. I would go for Knockhaert and hope he is up to contibuting more in attack
But will offer significantly less in defense

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There's truth in that, but its really not as often as some suggest. Take just this game, where he has been graded 'awful' by at least one. Even in that game, he set up Murray (first half, rolled square along edge of box, shot scuffed at Leno), Duffy (second half, back post header from corner) and Pröpper (second half, swinging cross from right, headed wide from 8 yards out) with presentable chances, from perfectly decent deliveries.

There is no way that he is awful, clearly very talented but I just find his lack of conviction in his abilities really frustrating. He has been getting plenty of game time so I think he should be growing in confidence.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That miss, one on one though a difficult chance was given very little consideration. A complete lack of expression on his face when it sailed over not a glimmer of regret. He just doesn't appear to give a shite. never shows emotion or any passion.
:lol:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Do you think that there is very much difference in their respective defensive contributions?

Yes, a huge difference. Solly always helps the full back whereas IMHO Knocky tries too any fancy tricks in risky situations, this is after he has moaned about not getting a free kick as he lost possession in the first place.
Watch the difference from ESU or WSU to see the difference to good effect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is no way that he is awful, clearly very talented but I just find his lack of conviction in his abilities really frustrating. He has been getting plenty of game time so I think he should be growing in confidence.

While 25,000 people groan at his every snaffoo.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Yet various match reports I've read and a podcast singled him out for praise.

Really? Poor at set pieces , had his back turned when gross passed two yards to him and as for that attempt on goal half the people on the stadium would of got it closer . Thought and wished he had turned the corner but my minds made up not premier league . Not sure what’s up with knocky but don’t look good when locadia starts in front of him wondering if problems of field again hope not he’s the one player that has the potential to unlock defences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's truth in that, but its really not as often as some suggest. Take just this game, where he has been graded 'awful' by at least one. Even in that game, he set up Murray (first half, rolled square along edge of box, shot scuffed at Leno), Duffy (second half, back post header from corner) and Pröpper (second half, swinging cross from right, headed wide from 8 yards out) with presentable chances, from perfectly decent deliveries.
Problem is so many have to express every view or opinion as an extreme........rather than saying 'he wasn't at his best today' it's 'he was fecking awful'. Don't know why people feel the need.

Same goes for the scapegoating that goes on. There always has to be someone that's been a disaster on whom they can heap all the blame. It's bollocks.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poor at set pieces

He's assisted four goals this season from set pieces. So, not that poor.

as for that attempt on goal half the people on the stadium would of got it closer

Maybe. If they had the energy to run 70 yards at pace, in the 85th minute of a Premier League game, that they had been working their nuts off in, to get on the end of the pass. Fatigue is probably a factor in his (poor) effort.

Would those same people have also hit the 30 yard low drive that Leno tipped round the post, or are we only looking at the poor effort? Would they also have laid on the headers for Duffy and Pröpper, and helped out Montoya all game?

my minds made up not premier league

I'm sure he'll be devastated.

Brighton have played 57 PL matches, and have looked like they 'are' Premier League. Solly March has featured in 55 of them. Not one player has featured in more. You could be wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really? Poor at set pieces , had his back turned when gross passed two yards to him and as for that attempt on goal half the people on the stadium would of got it closer . Thought and wished he had turned the corner but my minds made up not premier league
He's not a striker and missed his attempt on goal. It happens. I agree he shouldn't have turned his back on Gross. I thought he had a relatively poor game. But then it was against a top side, and players aren't going to do well every week.

Not sure what’s up with knocky but don’t look good when locadia starts in front of him wondering if problems of field again
Locadia was our best player. Maybe Chris played him instead instead of Knocky because he believes in him and wants to give him game time. How the hell you turn that into Knocky having problems off the field I don't know.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Brighton have played 57 PL matches, and have looked like they 'are' Premier League. Solly March has featured in 55 of them. Not one player has featured in more. You could be wrong.
It's bizarre isn't it. Our manager isn't PL and half our players aren't PL, yet here they are, holding our own in the PL. I guess some fans think we should be beating teams like Arsenal to earn the right to call ourselves PL?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's bizarre isn't it. Our manager isn't PL and half our players aren't PL, yet here they are, holding our own in the PL. I guess some fans think we should be beating teams like Arsenal to earn the right to call ourselves PL?

I believe most are very much PL standard and the manager very much so, sometimes the players need to believe it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I believe most are very much PL standard and the manager very much so, sometimes the players need to believe it.
Personally I don't think it's as simple as that. They know what they did against United, they know what they did in the second half against Chelsea, and they come out planning to attack Arsenal, but a few players make a mistake and the team as a whole lose a bit of confidence. Our players will make mistakes, and sometimes the opposition will make it difficult for us - it's not always as simple as all the conclusions we read on here, like Hughton being too cautious etc.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Personally I don't think it's as simple as that. They know what they did against United, they know what they did in the second half against Chelsea, and they come out planning to attack Arsenal, but a few players make a mistake and the team as a whole lose a bit of confidence. Our players will make mistakes, and sometimes the opposition will make it difficult for us - it's not always as simple as all the conclusions we read on here, like Hughton being too cautious etc.

In the first few minutes they had a freekick or maybe a goalkick within their area we retreated, they had an easy run into our half that continued until about 30 minutes when we start to mark them to death in their half every goalkick. Result they kicked long with nearly every kick ending with us having the ball. Simple? Answer yes.

Most teams but especially the top ones like to play out from goalkicks and will get themselves in all kinds of positions to achieve this. Watching them play against teams that cut off these easy "out" balls mean they resort to the same long balls we normally end up with, and normally the same result, loss of possession. That is a simple way of unsettling teams and works but it needs all the front players to be switched on.

Good teams work hard with the ball and work harder without it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seems an appropriate place to ask this; why is a corner that is headed clear with ease by a defender on the near post considered to be a worse corner than one that is cleared with ease by a defender in the middle or at the far post? Worse than one that goes above a defender at the near post but is thus a nice height for a keeper to pluck out of the air?Worse than one that goes past everyone and out the other side for a throw/goal kick?

It seems to be a complaint levelled at the albion quite a lot over over the past probably 10 years (I imagine fans at other clubs also have similar complaints about their own teams). I feel there are two issues 1) Unrealistic expectations. I'm sure this was linked to late last season when it was a fresher article, but there's no harm in linking it again. Only around 3.2% of corners lead to a goal. Maybe we shouldn't expect a goal a game and pile in on a player who doesn't make it happen when we take just five of them. 2) It seems silly to spell it out (mainly because I keep thinking of Homer Simpson's "it takes two to lie, one to lie and the other to believe it"), but it takes at least two to make a a corner decent - the person taking it and the one who gets on the end of it. It doesn't matter where a corner is directed, with however much power, if none of our players get on the end of it. If our corner taker is constantly putting it on the head of the near post defender, why aren't any of our players making a run to that area to beat him to it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here