Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Dropped? What's all this dropping? Where did it come from? It's 'released' - always will be.

Ha. Guilty as charged.

I suspect it comes from music writers having to vary the term to avoid repetition. Like album, record, LP, long player etc....

Personal pet hate: British writers using the term sophomore. arrrrrgggghhhhhhh.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Jeez grandad, get with the times.

I heard Many Anne Hobbs use it last year in her stunning beautiful sublime way of presenting (like her taste, but can't take her seriously), and I thought no way will that take on. Now resident are using it in their updates and now it's dropping here. I'll catch myself using it next year and my girlfriend will leave me.

Ha. Guilty as charged.

I suspect it comes from music writers having to vary the term to avoid repetition. Like album, record, LP, long player etc....

Personal pet hate: British writers using the term sophomore. arrrrrgggghhhhhhh.

I didn't even know that word existed until now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
https://www.facebook.com/lostunderheaven/videos/1045804372203689/

Not seen anyone else mention LUH or Lost Under Heaven. The guy in the band has some previous in the music industry but the girl is a fine artist. Debut album is quite extraordinary in my opinion. This track is the heaviest on the album; I love the drums.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm pretty sure I'm due a new Robert Pollard album. I'm pretty sure it will be 8 magnificent songs that make me wonder why anyone else bothers, 5 songs that mere mortals would sell their souls at the crossroads for and 3 songs that are a mess.
Half an hour later I will still be in awe.
Currently listening to 'English Little League' , different gravy, absolute different class.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Been listening to an awesome re-release that emerged last year

Doug Hream Blunt - My Name Is Doug Hream Blunt.

"Doug Hream Blunt is now in his 60s. In the past few years he has recovered from a stroke and – judging by the promo materials made available by Luaka Bop, which has compiled his slim works for rerelease – seems pleased to be appreciated. In the late 80s he self-released (and self-distributed to local San Francisco record stores) one album and a subsequent EP of nagging, synthetic jams, inflected with 60s rhythms, wheezing vibes, a little funk and the kind of frazzled, insalubrious charm that now plays very well. Ariel Pink, the prolific LA songster known for his own fried, thigh-rubbing songs, is one of Blunt’s lionisers. He invited him on stage last spring to perform a version of Blunt’s best-known song, Gentle Persuasion (previously, Blunt had played for the patients at the hospital where he worked as a nurse’s aid). Blunt’s legend has snowballed slowly. In 2010, Hype Williams – the uncategorisable, defunct London duo of Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland – took Gentle Persuasion and slowed it down; the younger Blunt apparently took his name in tribute to the older guitarist. "

The influence on Ariel Pink is immediately apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeQBClSyj5o

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
:)Any other reviews due soon Buzzer. I'm running out of new material to listen to

Sorry. Been busy with work. I'm probably a little more prolific on my blog if you are after some new stuff but here's a few new albums that I've been listening to of late:

Cool Ghouls - 'Animal Race'

A very authentic sounding 60s psych-rock band who also have 80s indie in their sound too. One of those bands where I think you might be underwhelmed if you listen to a single song in isolation but when you get to hear the entire album it has a really big, all-encompassing effect.

https://emptycellarrecords.bandcamp.com/album/animal-races (have a listen especially to Time Capsule and Just Like Me)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUgD0tDExGA

Plantman - 'To The Lighthouse'

One for fans of Frank Turner, Richard Hawley, Leonard Cohen. Plantman aka Matthew Randall is a singer/songwriter and he's got an indie-pop/folk sound going on. Bizarrely for a Southend lad his voice is similar, especially on this track, to the lead singer of I Am Kloot but that's no bad thing. Very nice album that I keep returning to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p0B-4VAyXU

Nova Tunes 3.4

It's a compilation album by Radio Nova - much in the same vein as legendary French radio station FIP that was so big in Brighton a few years back. The tracks are all really cool all quite laid back and mainly French however they do have Whitney 'No Woman' which is a track that I've put up in this thread some time ago and is still my track of the year and there's also Metronomy 'Old Skool' and a few others. I managed to blag an advance copy from a friend but if it's on Spotify or something like that then I'd seriously recommend this.

There's one or two new discoveries on there for me, one in particular is a band called Juniore who are a female-fronted 60s inspired psychedelic surf band and they sound just perfect. Check this track out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLzrZENuGQg

Banks and Steelz - 'Anything But Words'

They've been friends for some time and chess buddies too but Paul Banks from Interpol and RZA from Wu-Tang Clan have finally added album partners to that list of things that they share. To my ears it does sound like RZA collaborating on an Interpol album rather than vice versa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA2AteeuADQ

boik

My copy of "Going Going" arrived this morning. My god, what a masterpiece! Double heavyweight vinyl + CD + DVD + 7" + Lyric book. Beautifully presented. And the music itself doesn't disappoint. Obviously I've heard a few tracks live at gigs over the past couple of years, but the whole thing together is just a wonderful, careering delight. Probably need to watch the DVD to get it all in perspective.

This has all the makings of a future classic.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Skepta album is one of my albums of the year so far.

Should I start my own thread?

By own thread, do you mean: Albums of 2016?
I'm of the view that this year is much better than last. Current faves include Shake by The Thing, Imarhan and I'm really enjoying Michael Kiwanuka's Love and Hate (for which, thanks [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]), which is quite an eclectic collection.

PS you are allowed to elaborate on the Skepta album.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
By own thread, do you mean: Albums of 2016?
I'm of the view that this year is much better than last. Current faves include Shake by The Thing, Imarhan and I'm really enjoying Michael Kiwanuka's Love and Hate (for which, thanks [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION]), which is quite an eclectic collection.

PS you are allowed to elaborate on the Skepta album.

I meant more that it's a bit 'youth' for this thread, which at the age of 35, I suspect I am one of the younger contributors to.

I'll save it for the albums of the year post I reckon. This year I haven't really listened to music on the release treadmill and focused more on recommendations, radio etc... I don't doubt I've missed loads but it's been far more pleasurable. I think I've reached an age where that fear of missing out is disappearing, my gig attendance has been a bit sporadic as well (except my own!)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I meant more that it's a bit 'youth' for this thread, which at the age of 35, I suspect I am one of the younger contributors to.

I'll save it for the albums of the year post I reckon. This year I haven't really listened to music on the release treadmill and focused more on recommendations, radio etc... I don't doubt I've missed loads but it's been far more pleasurable. I think I've reached an age where that fear of missing out is disappearing, my gig attendance has been a bit sporadic as well (except my own!)

Aah. Me now understand your comment. You now beginning to understand what others have been through. I've been very poor this year at gig attendance, but have really enjoyed the few I've been to.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
The Avalanches - 'Wildflower' is my album of the year so far.
Also enjoying the new 'Glass Animals' album 'How To Be A Human', every listen I hear something different.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw the Nick Cave film last night. It's absolutely beautiful. It's one to see at the cinema (there's still tickets for the late Saturday showing at DoY)

And my, hasn't 3D come on since the last 3D film I saw? (which was probably 10 years ago or somesuch.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw the Nick Cave film last night. It's absolutely beautiful. It's one to see at the cinema (there's still tickets for the late Saturday showing at DoY)

And my, hasn't 3D come on since the last 3D film I saw? (which was probably 10 years ago or somesuch.)

I saw it as well. On paper it was a difficult film to shoot given the topic but it was pitched perfectly and struck the right balance between Nick's recent loss and a real insight into his creative processes. Some lovely shots of Brighton. One of the main items I took away was Warren Ellis' role. He plays a much bigger part than I thought; he's pretty much the music director/producer as well as songwriter.

If you're a Cave fan you have to see this...and agree it needs to be seen on the big screen. It won't work on DVD

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here