Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Albion fans too nice?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I do wonder sometimes whether you post threads purely for a reaction,

Of course I do, yes. This was a genuine question though - I don't believe that many fan groups would have gone this long without showing dissent. Why is that?

even if everyone made Hyypia out banners it would have no effect on Bloom. The situation is- Bloom gets rid of Hyypia or keeps him and we'll get relegated. Nothing the fans can do.

My view is that it would ratchet up pressure considerably because it would subject Tony Bloom's judgement to greater media scrutiny.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apologies for being a conspiracy theorist but in my perception that @Bozza has some enhanced level of connection to the club, I can't help wondering what all these "What will you do..." questions are for?

If there's an expectation that you'll get the pulse of the fans then fine... but where is the club's response to these issues when we reveal how we're feeling?

If you're trying to anticipate when the banners will start to appear then is there an ulterior motive (i.e. putting enhanced security in place to stop them getting into the ground)?

If it's just a chance to have a whinge then that's fine too, but I think we have enough whingeing threads already.

Apologies for a suspicious/negative post but I'm a suspicious/negative person. :thumbsup:

Extra security for banners? Are you for real?

Absolutely no truth in any of what you are surmising. This is just an extension of a conversation Bozza had with a few mates last night about us Albion fans.

Feb 14, 2010
Of course I do, yes. This was a genuine question though - I don't believe that many fan groups would have gone this long without showing dissent. Why is that?

Were you around in the 90's mate.. hear of the York game, that was not exactly nice. Do you think it might have something to do with a chairman spending £200 Million to put us back on our feet. Next a wag on nsc will call the 29000 fans who turned up for Fulham at home in the championship relegation scrap fickle. So which is it, too nice or fickle, or neither?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think maybe part of it is we just get continually edged out of games at home, and there's been no real focal point for a display of un-niceness. It's a sort of creeping crapness, not a full-blown on-field car-crash. If we were to go, say, 3-0 down at home in the first half v Millwall on Friday then I dare say something would change. Tho probably many would just walk out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My view is that it would ratchet up pressure considerably because it would subject Tony Bloom's judgement to greater media scrutiny.

Yep, it would certainly get some media coverage, but I'm not convinced that TB would react to that. It would be interesting to see if he did.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Were you around in the 90's mate.. hear of the York game, that was not exactly nice.

No, I only started coming along when Brighton moved to the American Express Community Stadium. Do York have a soccer team?

Feb 14, 2010
No, I only started coming along when Brighton moved to the American Express Community Stadium. Do York have a soccer team?

I think the 29000 who turned up for Fulham at home last week must be FICKLE that's the problem. I wish we had less fans like Leeds as then we would have less fickle fans

I don't blame Hyypia, I blame those who hired him, but that in itself gives me a dilema.

How do you voice your displeasure at a man who has chucked circa £200 million quid into the club?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Fair enough, if that is genuinely your opinion. But in recent years there's been a number of clubs taking 'banners' to games which have had no effect, Newcastle being a prime example where thousands wanted Pardew Out. I believe things like that effect chairmen much less these days especially with Bloom not living in the country and not going to many games (as far as I'm aware). In summary, I think it's bizarre that you have concluded our fans are 'too nice' but to each his own.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The real question is 'are Brighton fans sufficiently sarcastic?'. In my view the answer is yes.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011

It's probably the way you disassociate yourself from being a fan yourself and question "them" and not give an opinion to your own question. I personally think the question is spurious so doesn't deserve a sensible reply.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I slagged off Hyypia as a poor choice at the first couple of home games but I got some very frosty looks akin to being a traitor so I have buttoned it since

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seriously, I think that a gread deal of our 20,000 are naive or semi-detached supporters. I was chatting with a Charlton supporting acquaintance with connections in Brighton who told me he knows several folk who are 'supporters' of premiership teams, out of townees, and even students, who bough Brighton season tickets because it looked like fun (comfy stadium, easy traveling, probably some decent games). We just don't have a majority of seriously exercised supporters.

To be fair, we never did. When I went in the late 60s and early 70s we had decent enough crowds (a good solid 12-16 thousand each week for mid table 3rd division fare) but a rather insecure ambience. Apart from a couple of hundred singers in the North stand, it was largely pipe sucking introspection, low expectations, dispassionate spectatorship.

So I can't see the current following chanting for Sami's head. I wish we would, though. Unlike many on here, I put the blame firmly on the manager. I saw him on the telly this morning, smiling and shrugging his shoulders. Be angry, FFS!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Too nice, and in my case far too well educated to lower myself to ranting, fists clenched in impotent rage. I have never and will never boo the team/manager. I am, however, now certain something has to change, but I suspect Tony will ignore the boo boys until he sees a genuine drop off in overall performances - given the apparent stance of our fair, intelligent and perfectly reasonable chairman. Yesterday was one such game, but I remain convinced Sami will remain in charge until after Christmas at the very least. I eventually said last night (as the drinks flowed) he could yet turn it round; but time is now starting to run out. Regardless of who's nice and who's not - it's time and lack of it that will eventually undo Hyypia...

Tick tock, tick tock... alas time waits for no man.

Kosh

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Down with this sort of thing. If we lose to Millwall I will not be buying a pie.

Actually, can I take that back ?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Last season we took 1400 to Derby this season 700. That's 700 dissenters (of which I was one) and that should worry the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here