Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Today was a day for not pushing the front. A few stops to tweak the blades was always gonna happen too. Not a day to worry about average speed. However, I conquered one of the climbs that had defeated me previously. Best I ever did was stopping twice before. Felt like there was a bit left in the tank too. I now have a time to beat.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Now I know how [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] feels. I got stuck behind a car going down Ditchling Beacon going about a third of the speed I would've been. Cars should be banned, or at the very least made to pay road tax.

Those cross-winds were a bit hazardous today.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
He was probably giving you a taste of your own medicine.

Now I know how [MENTION=27125]Wrong-Direction[/MENTION] feels. I got stuck behind a car going down Ditchling Beacon going about a third of the speed I would've been. Cars should be banned, or at the very least made to pay road tax.

Those cross-winds were a bit hazardous today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], how are you getting on with all the cadence/climbing/consistent riding gubbins?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hey [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], how are you getting on with all the cadence/climbing/consistent riding gubbins?

Blimey! the thread must be quiet if you've invited me to bore the tits off everyone with this one again SB.

But seeing as you did ask...

The Bryton still won't pair with the cadence and speed sensor combo so it's either have the cadence and nothing else, or everything else and not the cadence. I tried taking the speed sensor magnet off the wheel so it just picks up the cadence and I get speed via GPS so everything else works too, but alas it still wants to pair as a combo sensor so back to square one. It's weird as I get a green light on the cadence sensor everytime the wheel magnet passes and the red light for the crankarms, so that's working. But no green light on the speed sensor arm like it should, so conclusion is I need a new combo sensor. That can wait, considering the price, even of secondhand ones.

The good thing is, having concentrated solely on cadence readings for a few rides, I think I've got a handle of roughly what I'm spinning now, even without a sensor on. I'm now mindful of this on every ride and am definitely using more lower gears than I used to and also go up and down the gears a whole lot more than I ever did. As a result, for instance, battling a nightmare headwind along the seafront yesterday I was, mostly, riding in my lowest gears spinning like an idiot rather than a bigger gear trying to grind through it. It still feels weird spinning at a higher cadence than I was before, but I can see the benefits so I'm trying to stick with it. Eventually I will buy another sensor, but I'm not in a particular rush, seeing as how secondhand ones don't come up much cheaper than new. Getting shot of the Bryton isn't an option as I love it in every other respect and I'm convinced it will pair with a fully functioning combo sensor as I did once briefly have it all singing and dancing on a spin round the block.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Right then, newbie geeks in particular.

If you haven't got a decent workstand for your bike yet, then may I point you in this direction:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Mecha...g+Bicycle+Bike+Cycle+Repair+Maintenance+Stand

I bought this a couple of months ago as replacement for the useless type I had before.

It's bloody amazing!, especially for the price. Given mine plenty of use so far and it remains as solid as when I first got it. Usability is a dream, and stores well too. Can't recommend it enough really. Just read the reviews and you'll see what I mean. Best £28.98 you'll ever spend!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey! the thread must be quiet if you've invited me to bore the tits off everyone with this one again SB.

Cool that all sounds good.

Before I went out today I saw you'd had a decent ride yesterday, and that struck a chord.
Then today I struggled, esp with both knees, after going over Coombes because I was being silly.
Therefore I was up and down the cassette like a fiddlers elbow, which reminded me to ask how you were getting on.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

If you haven't got a decent workstand for your bike yet, then may I point you in this direction:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oypla-Mecha...g+Bicycle+Bike+Cycle+Repair+Maintenance+Stand

I bought this a couple of months ago as replacement for the useless type I had before.

It's bloody amazing!, especially for the price. Given mine plenty of use so far and it remains as solid as when I first got it. Usability is a dream, and stores well too. Can't recommend it enough really. Just read the reviews and you'll see what I mean. Best £28.98 you'll ever spend!

Yeah, pretty sure that is exactly what I have. Bold recommended to me, and he wasn't wrong, especially when you see the price that some stands go for!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Out of curiosity, what does one need a bike stand for when one can turn it upside down?!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cool that all sounds good.

Before I went out today I saw you'd had a decent ride yesterday, and that struck a chord.
Then today I struggled, esp with both knees, after going over Coombes because I was being silly.
Therefore I was up and down the cassette like a fiddlers elbow, which reminded me to ask how you were getting one.

I'll have a look at your ride in a minute.

Something you said always sticks in my mind now that I'm trying to pay attention to cadence.

Whilst some of us, me included, were being a bit dismissive of a cadence sensor, a common theme was that we run out of gears on steep climbs anyway so basically what's the point (or something like that). You basically said it wasn't so much about steep climbing, where most of us run out of gears anyway, but more the steady gradients and perhaps headwind flats where most of us tend to end up grinding without quite realising it. This is where the real benefits come in you said.

And you're spot on! :thumbsup: I think my knees will thank you for that bit of advice, and the extra cardio workout plus just better riding will thank you too, so thanks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, pretty sure that is exactly what I have. Bold recommended to me, and he wasn't wrong, especially when you see the price that some stands go for!

Yep, a Park Tools one would be well over a £100, and for the life of me I just can't see how it could be better than this stand is. I have some Park Tools cable cutters and I can justify getting quality there, but this cheap stand really is the nuts and does everything I ask of it flawlessly. Everything about it feels good to use. The price is an absolute steal!

Out of curiosity, what does one need a bike stand for when one can turn it upside down?!

You knock yourself out fettling ( and yes, your time will come) with the bike upside down for starters. You'll be throwing in more than the usual quota of fecks attempting to do it that way :lol: That's before you even consider just general cleaning and maintenance.

Honestly, get one of these stands and be amazed! At that price you could put it on your Christmas pressie list without taking the piss :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice ride there today SB :thumbsup:. A few others turning in some decent rides today too, and it's only Monday!

Is there something in the air or something?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here