Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I read this yesterday on the train. It doesn't get anymore interesting then North Korea and hopefully the organisation may have improved next year.

I'm also looking at Athens in November & Marrakech in January realistically I can only do one of those.

There is a midnight marathon in Norway I think in June where its 24 hours or close to of daylight.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just heading off to Boston now for the what promises to be the race of my life. £850 in the bag already for AITC makes it very very worthwhile. Happy running to anyone heading out over the Easter Weekend.

Team NSC for the Brighton Marathon next year is looking very very strong!!

What happened? Did you see my Sophie? BBC news. I always had a soft spot for her. However, I have had to tell her she no longer has a chance as I refuse to date anyone who can run a faster marathon than me. I have emailed her to say that I will be up for it next year, if I can pb by 4 minutes.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Just signed up for my first ever running event, which will be the next Brighton Half Marathon in February. I know, I know. Half Marathons are for wimps but I will be running it as one of those rhinos.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just signed up for my first ever running event, which will be the next Brighton Half Marathon in February. I know, I know. Half Marathons are for wimps but I will be running it as one of those rhinos.

I wouldn't say half marathons are for wimps - all sorts of people do them for different reasons. Some people struggle with a 10k, let alone a half.

Good luck, Rhinoman :thumbsup:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
No,that's true. It's just that Mrs. Higham can bat out a marathon in under 4 hours so my feeble 10k runs seem wimpish by comparison. I had always said I would never run a race but the charitable impulse got the better of me and, of course, there is nowhere else I would rather wheeze my way around.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Just because a distance is shorter it does not make it for wimps; you'll be running it faster!

I find that 5K is the hardest of the standard road running distances because you're going full pelt from the off and are blowing out of your arse after 2 minutes before a further 15+ minutes of pain.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all, just looking for quick bit of advice. I've recently stepped up my runs a little bit and covering around 8-12k each time I go out, but getting pretty board of running along the seafront. Does anyone have any good routes inland, preferably woodland, but not that fussed, just something a bit more interesting than the straight point to point route I'm currently doing. I've got a car so no probs to drive inland from Hove, to a start point.

Cheers in advance.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Running north of Hove Sainsburys (or is it Portslade) gets you to Devils Dyke in 3 miles. Its a footpath all the way and very rural, apart from the footbridge over the bypass. You then have a choice of running either east or west along the hilly south downs way.

Stanmer Park has a number of 5 mile circuits up towards the downs.

my favourite is run to Shoreham, up the banks of the adur to the South Downs Way and then 2 miles uphill to Truleigh Hill, on to the Dyke and down to Sainsburys. 16 miles and water taps at the bridge by botolps on the Adur and the YHA.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Running north of Hove Sainsburys (or is it Portslade) gets you to Devils Dyke in 3 miles. Its a footpath all the way and very rural, apart from the footbridge over the bypass. You then have a choice of running either east or west along the hilly south downs way.

Stanmer Park has a number of 5 mile circuits up towards the downs.

my favourite is run to Shoreham, up the banks of the adur to the South Downs Way and then 2 miles uphill to Truleigh Hill, on to the Dyke and down to Sainsburys. 16 miles and water taps at the bridge by botolps on the Adur and the YHA.

Have you got the routes on Garmin? I wouldn't mind trying them myself as I need to get off the roads, my body from the waist down is ravaged at the moment.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Thanks KNOCKY1 for the routes, just gave part of your 16 miler a go, River Adur from the A27 up to the South Downs Way hill over the top and back down to the river where I parked, also managed to get told off by a farmer for going off piste a bit! Do you run the whole hill, blimmin impressed if you do, especially as part of 16 miles? I've got a long way to go until I can get up that thing without walking a bit! Cheers for the tip.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Ran the Tulip 10k this morning in Spalding Lincolnshire. With a stong headwind recorded a time of 38.58 and 16th place out of approx 170 runners. Tough as it got quite warm in the 2nd half and 4 seconds off a PB ! Always next time

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks KNOCKY1 for the routes, just gave part of your 16 miler a go, River Adur from the A27 up to the South Downs Way hill over the top and back down to the river where I parked, also managed to get told off by a farmer for going off piste a bit! Do you run the whole hill, blimmin impressed if you do, especially as part of 16 miles? I've got a long way to go until I can get up that thing without walking a bit! Cheers for the tip.

Only once! Part of a training programme so wont be doing it for 10 months at least. May walk and run it though as it's a great way to see good old Sussex by the sea.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have you got the routes on Garmin? I wouldn't mind trying them myself as I need to get off the roads, my body from the waist down is ravaged at the moment.

Stanmer no but I aim to walk it this week so could wear the garmin. The others I will look for tomorrow. the 16 miler must be on here from early March. Since the Brighton marathon my legs have felt ok but my chest has been ravaged. Old age hayfever or infection, not sure so taking it easy. Good thing of running back to Sainsburys is the 3 mile down hill finish.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Agree it was stunning and I was quite happy to take a breather, even walking up kept the heart pumping!

Only once! Part of a training programme so wont be doing it for 10 months at least. May walk and run it though as it's a great way to see good old Sussex by the sea.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Three Forts Marathon next Sunday. anyone else doing it?
51 places left atm.

http://www.threefortsmarathon.org.uk/

Nah, having a rest from marathons for a while - Mrs Bobkin is, however, walking the 26.2 miles of the London MoonWalk overnight on 10th May.

Soon into the triathlon season, so I'll be doing a few of them and maybe the odd half along the way. Speaking of which, does anyone remember the Gatwick Half marathon? I only ran it once back in 2004 and loved it, but don't know if it still exists, or anything around that way?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran the Tulip 10k this morning in Spalding Lincolnshire. With a stong headwind recorded a time of 38.58 and 16th place out of approx 170 runners. Tough as it got quite warm in the 2nd half and 4 seconds off a PB ! Always next time

Thats downright impressive. I'm working hard on my 5 and 10k whats the secret? I'm about a minute per mile off that pace currently.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/441615263 It follows the meandering river rather than the Downs Link. The Downs Link contiues to Horsham and is flat as it used to be the rail line and would be another run option. From what you are saying about being ravaged maybe time off running would be beneficial? Do a month of cross trainig?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thats downright impressive. I'm working hard on my 5 and 10k whats the secret? I'm about a minute per mile off that pace currently.

The 'secret' to improving is to get out of your comfort zone by running at above your target race pace for timed efforts during your training sessions and intersperse these with easy timed recoveries. For example, 6 mins at a pace a bit quicker than your target 5k followed by 3 mins recovery, and repeat 3-4 times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here