The Troubadour
We appear to have signed David Walliams

View attachment 66701

Can Daniel Vettori play in goal? ???

1422226951735.jpg

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've not been feeling secure with Stockers in goal since he arrived, but at the same time i've not got warm feelings for giant-bearded people. Glad Maenpaa is here, hoping Stockers becomes less blunderous under pressure from a rival, but i want some anti-hipster people to turn up and get shaving that shaggy billybear.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's a theory, but it's wrong. Stocko will be here and first choice barring a horrendous pre-season.
Inside scoop from the man who knows best.

Only one man knows who will be first choice and knowing that man I know for sure that he won't have made that known to anyone except perhaps the people involved. He may not eve know himself yet.

When CH was at Norwich his natural instinct was to make Russell Martin Captain but having signed Stephen Whittaker he was not 100% sure at the start of the season whether Martin would play every week hence he made Bassong Captain. As it turned out he played Martin more than he had anticipated.

The situation as I see it is thus. The new Finnish keeper given that he is either full international or on the fringes of international team would have asked the question during contract talks, I am sure ''Am I likely to be first choice keeper'' If he was told he wouldn't be then I don't think he would even consider signing for us because if he doesn't play for Brighton in the next year then he won't get in the Finland National team.

CH is excellent at keeping things under wraps, hence we don't find out much about transfer targets till very late but one thing he would never do is lie to a player and promise them a first team place if he wasn't gonna give it to him. Has he promised him a first team place ? Sadly I don't know the answer to that and if I asked him he would skip round the question like a Politician on Question Time

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
2 good goalies fighting for the number one spot and Walton gaining experience somewhere (hopefully)...i'd say that is a position along with fullbacks that is definitely sorted

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Given how many times it has been explained why we need 3 keepers, and yet those explanations are followed by more questioning it, this probably won't make much difference, but it's worth a try.

2014/15
Stockdale was injured for four games. Walton was given the chance to play v Tottenham and did well enough. We then brought in Al Habsi, who after one game, had to miss the next because it was against his parent team, Walton came back in and did well, so we stuck with him until Stockdale was fit again rather than rushing back Al Habsi from international duty.

3 Keepers used.

2013/14
Kuszczak had four spells of injury. Brezovan stepped in for the first three, Ankergren filled in for the last of them.

3 Keepers used.

2012/13
Kuszczak had three spells out injured. Brezovan covered the first two, Ankergren the third. Kuszczak also went off injured v Blackpool and was covered by Ankergren.

3 keepers used.

2011/12
Ankergren started the season. We brought in Harper on loan. Then back to Ankergren, then Brezovan took over, then David Gonzalez had a couple of games toward the end of the season.

4 keepers used.

2010/11 we used Ankergren, Brezovan and Poke.

3 keepers used.

For the past five seasons, we have used at least three keepers over the course of the season.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Does anybody know if Mäenpää is rated highly in Holland?

Could part of this deal be showing the Iranian winger with the even harder to spell name that we're building a solid squad?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Only one man knows who will be first choice and knowing that man I know for sure that he won't have made that known to anyone except perhaps the people involved. He may not eve know himself yet.

When CH was at Norwich his natural instinct was to make Russell Martin Captain but having signed Stephen Whittaker he was not 100% sure at the start of the season whether Martin would play every week hence he made Bassong Captain. As it turned out he played Martin more than he had anticipated.

The situation as I see it is thus. The new Finnish keeper given that he is either full international or on the fringes of international team would have asked the question during contract talks, I am sure ''Am I likely to be first choice keeper'' If he was told he wouldn't be then I don't think he would even consider signing for us because if he doesn't play for Brighton in the next year then he won't get in the Finland National team.

CH is excellent at keeping things under wraps, hence we don't find out much about transfer targets till very late but one thing he would never do is lie to a player and promise them a first team place if he wasn't gonna give it to him. Has he promised him a first team place ? Sadly I don't know the answer to that and if I asked him he would skip round the question like a Politician on Question Time

Hilarious

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given how many times it has been explained why we need 3 keepers, and yet those explanations are followed by more questioning it, this probably won't make much difference, but it's worth a try.

2014/15
Stockdale was injured for four games. Walton was given the chance to play v Tottenham and did well enough. We then brought in Al Habsi, who after one game, had to miss the next because it was against his parent team, Walton came back in and did well, so we stuck with him until Stockdale was fit again rather than rushing back Al Habsi from international duty.

3 Keepers used.

2013/14
Kuszczak had four spells of injury. Brezovan stepped in for the first three, Ankergren filled in for the last of them.

3 Keepers used.

2012/13
Kuszczak had three spells out injured. Brezovan covered the first two, Ankergren the third. Kuszczak also went off injured v Blackpool and was covered by Ankergren.

3 keepers used.

2011/12
Ankergren started the season. We brought in Harper on loan. Then back to Ankergren, then Brezovan took over, then David Gonzalez had a couple of games toward the end of the season.

4 keepers used.

2010/11 we used Ankergren, Brezovan and Poke.

3 keepers used.

For the past five seasons, we have used at least three keepers over the course of the season.
But that doesn't explain why we need 3 'keepers next season? :dunce:
Or
Why Walton has to go elsewhere just so he can 'play more competitive games'?
Stopping him from learning his trade at a club currently playing at a level higher than his current abilities. double :dunce:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure why The most obvious scenario ;he was just impressed by the club and Hughton, the salary offer was generous, and he was confident that as a #2 that eventually (stockdale injury, loss of form, cup games) he'd be able to prove his value.
And also liked idea of moving to UK given he's still 30.
Can't be accepted and instead it must be something else.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But that doesn't explain why we need 3 'keepers next season? :dunce:
Or
Why Walton has to go elsewhere just so he can 'play more competitive games'?
Stopping him from learning his trade at a club currently playing at a level higher than his current abilities. double :dunce:

All teams have three don't they ? If one is injured, no 3 steps up to the bench - subs always include a keeper.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
dazzer66666985674 said:
All teams have three don't they ? If one is injured, no 3 steps up to the bench - subs always include a keeper.
Whoosh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here