Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays atmosphere - worst ever at the Amex?

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Would help if some c***s turned up. The stadium looked half empty again. Not that I blame them considering our league position

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Some of us do our best to get an atmosphere going - obviously not enough though!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I think the North Stand is falling short of its usual high standards, without them at full tilt the rest of the ground is inevitably subdued.

Ha North stand myth..... Few and far between efforts to warrant usual high standards myth much like the squad, we are average at best on and off the pitch end of. Far better away support always has been....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Since when did all sections of the ground make noise for significant periods of a match?

At the Goldstone, it was mainly just the North stand, at Gillingham you'd be lucky to be able to spot someone else in the ground, let alone getting a decent chant going.

The Amex is a lot louder than some grounds, and the north was always meant to be the stand that made ther most noise during a game (based on the Goldstone tradition) but they seem more interested in slagging off other sections of the ground for not making enough noise or decide to split into seperate groups and try to ignore / drown out the other groups songs within the north stand.

The whole of the north stand didn't sing at the Goldstone, yet because some in the North stand at the Amex don't sing, they get heavily criticised.
The away fans (usually in a smaller area the our fans in the north often sing as a group of fans and are louder than the North stand, mainly because they don't have this anomosity towards other fans in their stand.)

Too much i won't sing because people might look at me and i'll get embarrassed going on too.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The Amex did seem curiously quiet considering 24,000 punters were within. Firstly I don't think the acoustics help, the sound does not carry that well. I've tried various parts of the stadium and it is a pity how the sound dissipates. Normally you can hear the North having a go but it was barely audible today. It is also due to different parts of the crowd singing different songs and/or being out of sync, so diluting what might be achieved with a bit more effort. Mind you the lacklustre football did not help.

Similar sized crowds at say Derby, Forest or Leeds seem to create a more intense noise, which clearly ramps up the atmosphere and must gee up the players too. Their fans know how to do co-ordinated songs and sing them with real passion and volume.

Having said that I was at Norwich v Watford recently and you could hear a pin drop inside Carrow Road, despite having a 26k crowd - and they were 3-0 up! Now that did make the Amex seem moderately loud.

On the other hand I do not ever, ever, ever want us to have a fecking drum or goal music at The Amex. We don't need a drum to sing....we don't need a drum to sing...etc etc.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The group under the police box, as much as they try, really need to try and sing along with the rest of the stand if the North are going to have half a chance at producing some sound. It just sounds like a confused noise at the moment, which eventfully fades out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the North Stand is falling short of its usual high standards, without them at full tilt the rest of the ground is inevitably subdued.

Would that be the part of the ground that's about a sixth of the size of the so-called showpiece stand? Y'know, the one that is ALWAYS subdued. Same as its namesake at the Goldstone always was. High time that stand got its arse in gear.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Would that be the part of the ground that's about a sixth of the size of the so-called showpiece stand? Y'know, the one that is ALWAYS subdued. Same as its namesake at the Goldstone always was. High time that stand got its arse in gear.

Don't get all defensive, I previously stated that the North Stand has set a high standard for vocal support, and sitting in the WSU there are many people will only sing if they hear other people singing first. This is the way of things all over the country, not just at the Albion.

WSU is littered with pockets of former Goldstone North Stand fans who will always sing, but the vast majority there are not. This is partly a legacy of having small home gates for the best part of 25 years, so most people aren't used to singing or being part of a loud crowd.

There have been times when WSU has been rocking, although rarely since Gus left. I agree that practically all fans need to up their game in terms of the vocal support.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure the worst ever atmosphere was a cold January match, not sure vs which team.

The gloved clapping was very muffled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here