edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'll be there - mind 70 quid for the train ticket was a bloody ripoff and that was
a couple of months back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Eh?! Where, how, from whom, etc. etc?

Edit - Oh hang on, cancel that. I can get £40 cattle-class.

www.redspottedhanky.com - slightly higher now but still not bad.

Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 15.01.17.png

BarnsleyBob

May 17, 2012
I'll be there. Went up there for the last game of the season a few years back and it really does have a 60's feel about the place. My lasting memory is the long old slog over that hill to get from the ground to the station and back.

Long old slog? It's a 5 minute walk! Tops. What have you got for legs, pipe cleaners? Oakwell is closer to the town's bus and railway stations than the vast majority of football grounds in this country. In Yorkshire, we have these things called hills (although the walk from the station to the ground and back hardly counts), it makes our landscape interesting, beautiful and varied. Drive 5 minutes out of town to the west and you'll see some stunning countryside.

I'm not sure why you feel there is a 60s vibe. The interchange is a new build and looks it. The houses you walked past over that mountain are 1930s red brick or 19th century stone terraces. You have these in Brighton too, I know, I've been there. Oakwell itself has 3 new stands, built mid 1990s onwards, and we house the away supporters in the newest of these, the largest away section in The Championship. The fourth side of the ground, the west stand, is, I believe, the oldest stand in the country, dating back to pre first world war. It looks tatty. However, there is a growing movement in Barnsley to keep it and restore it rather than knock it down, build a new one and have a stadium that looks pretty much like everywhere else. I hope we do.

Barnsley is different to Brighton. We're no more backward, we're not inferior, it's just different. Your town is far more cosmopolitan, but we have our good points too. Instead of turning left over the level crossing and heading up to the ground when you come out of the interchange, turn right, pop in to an independent butchers shop and sample a pork pie or a roast pork sandwich and try to take that confused look off your face when you realise how little they are charging you. Check out the quality of the meat and the vegetables in our market and look how low the prices are. Stop in the Old No. 7 and sample a pint of Barnsley's home produced ales and bitters. £2.50 for a pint of Acorn Blonde and it's superb. We've even got this newfangled drink called lager, if you really must.

If you come to Barnsley with an attitude, with a feeling of superiority, I'm sure you'll be able to find things not to your liking. If you come with a smile on your face and a determination to enjoy yourself, you'll find warm and friendly people, a town well equipped to suit your needs and a football stadium that's safe and comfortable offering an excellent view.

I hope you all enjoy your trip here this Saturday (although obviously not the result, I'm not that welcoming) and thank you to those who have had a nice word to say about our town. It's much appreciated.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Long old slog? It's a 5 minute walk! Tops. What have you got for legs, pipe cleaners? Oakwell is closer to the town's bus and railway stations than the vast majority of football grounds in this country. In Yorkshire, we have these things called hills (although the walk from the station to the ground and back hardly counts), it makes our landscape interesting, beautiful and varied. Drive 5 minutes out of town to the west and you'll see some stunning countryside.

I'm not sure why you feel there is a 60s vibe. The interchange is a new build and looks it. The houses you walked past over that mountain are 1930s red brick or 19th century stone terraces. You have these in Brighton too, I know, I've been there. Oakwell itself has 3 new stands, built mid 1990s onwards, and we house the away supporters in the newest of these, the largest away section in The Championship. The fourth side of the ground, the west stand, is, I believe, the oldest stand in the country, dating back to pre first world war. It looks tatty. However, there is a growing movement in Barnsley to keep it and restore it rather than knock it down, build a new one and have a stadium that looks pretty much like everywhere else. I hope we do.

Barnsley is different to Brighton. We're no more backward, we're not inferior, it's just different. Your town is far more cosmopolitan, but we have our good points too. Instead of turning left over the level crossing and heading up to the ground when you come out of the interchange, turn right, pop in to an independent butchers shop and sample a pork pie or a roast pork sandwich and try to take that confused look off your face when you realise how little they are charging you. Check out the quality of the meat and the vegetables in our market and look how low the prices are. Stop in the Old No. 7 and sample a pint of Barnsley's home produced ales and bitters. £2.50 for a pint of Acorn Blonde and it's superb. We've even got this newfangled drink called lager, if you really must.

If you come to Barnsley with an attitude, with a feeling of superiority, I'm sure you'll be able to find things not to your liking. If you come with a smile on your face and a determination to enjoy yourself, you'll find warm and friendly people, a town well equipped to suit your needs and a football stadium that's safe and comfortable offering an excellent view.

I hope you all enjoy your trip here this Saturday (although obviously not the result, I'm not that welcoming) and thank you to those who have had a nice word to say about our town. It's much appreciated.

Whoa, calm down fella. I didn't mean it in an insulating way. If you read the rest of the thread you'll see the general opinion of the place is a good one.

I like the old stand, it would be a shame to knock it down.

I certainly don't think I am in anyway superior because I come from Brighton at all.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'll be there - mind 70 quid for the train ticket was a bloody ripoff and that was
a couple of months back.

Ours were about £75 return from polegate a couple of months ago for two of us (one has a third off railcard though) - purchased as four different single journeys

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I wouldn't take the jocular criticism to heart Bob. We are like this about pretty much ALL away trips.
[MENTION=4441]ali jenkins[/MENTION] HATED your place SO much that he's going on Saturday, for the third season in a row.

Now, off you pop to bother some whippets.

#NorthernStereotypes

BarnsleyBob

May 17, 2012
Whoa, calm down fella. I didn't mean it in an insulating way. If you read the rest of the thread you'll see the general opinion of the place is a good one.

I like the old stand, it would be a shame to knock it down.

I certainly don't think I am in anyway superior because I come from Brighton at all.

Apologies, I wasn't really referring to you with the superior thing, just a couple of other posts gave that impression. I know I quoted you, but I was addressing the whole thread.

Hope you enjoy the day.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Afraid not, finances do not allow two away games in 5 days.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I quite like Barnsley some decent Pubs and the prices are some of the cheapest in the country. This can only be a good thing :)

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Cans of Death on the train to Doncaster, Sheffield pre game, Shakey Wakey post game.

Wakefield, Urgh! Ever since i moved up everyone told me come out in Wakefield with us cracking night out etc etc - So I did, personally thought it was shite and full of nobheads just remininded me of West Street maybe i just got dragged to the wrong places?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here