Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The Salt Room was the only local restaurant to feature in The Times top 25 new restaurants in Britain a couple of days ago. Table 26 was voted the best new table in Britain

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Frankie and Bennys tonight at Minis request which is quite right as we celebrate his 18th birthday

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I was wondering where this new found gastronomical interest came from :lolol:

Thanks for the report. I'll check it out.

Yes indeed mate. Personally I still don't see the problem with KFC and a Bovril but there you go!

I should add where possible everything is from Sussex. Including the wine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well Isaac at....having been to the set which was great Isaac knocks it into a cocked hat.

Why? Simply because there isnt a turnaround. It IS one set menu and restricted to about 40 people. Starts at 7 finishes at 10.30. Each dish is presented by the chefs themselves and the only negative is the restaurant is a bit brightly lit.

The GF is a massive massive foodie, eaten all over Brighton (seriously its ridiculous and we are talking Gingerman, Set, 64degrees level) and she has said its the best food in Brighton.

Book early for Isaac.

That's good advice. I will endeavour to co-ordinate with the GF and act on your GF's guidance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A disappointing addendum to my review of The Set. Went back as a 4 last night with old friends and it was as poor as the first one had been good. Table not ready when we arrived and plates not warmed nor wine poured before the dishes arrived. This meant that by the time they'd poured wine and described everything in minute detail the food was stone cold. Some of the new dishes are far too rich and they can't cook squid. Gutted.

The food at Set is by some considerable distance the best in Brighton: well sourced, technically brilliant and, best of all, a chef who's obviously got a great palate, so the flavour combinations are extraordinary, with a long finish, with a complex array of different elements appearing in each mouthful.
It is let down, however, by a strange spatial set-up, there is a bar which seems bigger and even a table-tennis room. I think they ought to concentrate just on the restaurant, which is also too noisy, at times we struggled to hear the fourth person who was most distant on a round table. The wine is also poor: a small selection; over-priced; not terribly good examples of their kind; and not brilliant partners to the food.‎

I didn't mention it at the time but that was the general consensus on the wine from us on second visit. Again the pairings on the initial visit were better but I seem to remember not being impressed with the one that matched the duck.

Glad you enjoyed the food though. Would you go back? I would have become a regular after visit one but now I really just want to try Isaacs and Silo. Also very keen to try Bincho Yakitori in Preston St having virtually set up a camp in a good Yakitori joint when we lived in Tokyo

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was underwhelmed by Bincho Yakitori to be honest, though I did go on a very quiet late afternoon.

I left thinking that I wouldn't bother returning. The cooking was okay, noting special.

Would be intersted to hear feedback as I think they might have been having an off day/, plus they weren't long opened.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Salt and Bone for a 4 course meal specifically created and paired with 4 different Brewdog beers tonight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Popped out for brunch late yesterday morning and went to the Vintage Tea Room at Worthing's Dome cinema.

Between us we had Eggs Benedict (went off menu by swapping salmon for ham to make it Eggs Royale), standard veggie breakfast, with the lad having cheese on toast.

It was the best brunch we've had in Worthing since we moved back from Somerset.

Well cooked, very tasty and a decent sized portions and well priced. Even the cheese on toast was decent - two thick doorsteps with a generous topping of a lovely strong cheddar.

My bloody Mary was also very decent indeed.

9/10.

Worthing Vintage Tea Room Brunch.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
P1ss Alley?

Is that your nickname for Preston St or somewhere in Tokyo I clearly should have visited? :lolol:

The yakitori joint in Tokyo I nearly moved in to was called Kushi Waka Muru near Naka Meguro station. They always had a queue coming out of the door and would give you beer in the queue as you waited. She would fill up tables with any old people she fancied so your table of four Westerners would suddenly have a Japanese couple added to the end. There was a strict time limit and when you exceeded it you went off to karaoke, not to sing but because you could get an hours worth of pints of gin and tonic for a fiver.

All recommended by [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION] before he lived in Canada. Still some of the best food I've ever had. We went almost weekly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is that your nickname for Preston St or somewhere in Tokyo I clearly should have visited? :lolol:

The yakitori joint in Tokyo I nearly moved in to was called Kushi Waka Muru near Naka Meguro station. They always had a queue coming out of the door and would give you beer in the queue as you waited. She would fill up tables with any old people she fancied so your table of four Westerners would suddenly have a Japanese couple added to the end. There was a strict time limit and when you exceeded it you went off to karaoke, not to sing but because you could get an hours worth of pints of gin and tonic for a fiver.

All recommended by [MENTION=97]Toronto Seagull[/MENTION] before he lived in Canada. Still some of the best food I've ever had. We went almost weekly.

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/11/23/tokyos-infamous-piss-alley/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I didn't mention it at the time but that was the general consensus on the wine from us on second visit. Again the pairings on the initial visit were better but I seem to remember not being impressed with the one that matched the duck.

Glad you enjoyed the food though. Would you go back? I would have become a regular after visit one but now I really just want to try Isaacs and Silo. Also very keen to try Bincho Yakitori in Preston St having virtually set up a camp in a good Yakitori joint when we lived in Tokyo

I would go back, most definitely but, like you, I've got other priorities on that front which are: Isaacs, Polpo and Fourth & Church. Might have to add Bincho Yakitori to that list too. There's also another new noodle bar on Prince Albert St which looks good, and of which I've heard one report which was positive.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Have you been to that place in Soho on, I think, Greek St (or there or thereabouts)? That's good

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Why? Simply because there isnt a turnaround. It IS one set menu and restricted to about 40 people. Starts at 7 finishes at 10.30. Each dish is presented by the chefs themselves and the only negative is the restaurant is a bit brightly lit..

That seems to be a common format for pop up restaurants. I went to an Etch pop up a few months ago, it's run by the guy who won professional masterchef. They're worth a look if you enjoyed the format and the food was excellent, although I thought value wise £50 was bordering on steep for what you actually got. The missus and I said we'd definitely go back if it was closer to £40 but we felt it was let down by two things: 1) Our cod portion was visibly smaller than some of the others 2) I would've liked a more imaginative desert than yoghurt parfait! I know they want to chuck in a palette cleanser but it just felt like a waste of a course when want them to wow me.

Issac is on the to do list, I'm interested to see how it compares

http://www.etchfood.co.uk/events.php

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Popped out for brunch late yesterday morning and went to the Vintage Tea Room at Worthing's Dome cinema.

Between us we had Eggs Benedict (went off menu by swapping salmon for ham to make it Eggs Royale), standard veggie breakfast, with the lad having cheese on toast.

It was the best brunch we've had in Worthing since we moved back from Somerset.

Well cooked, very tasty and a decent sized portions and well priced. Even the cheese on toast was decent - two thick doorsteps with a generous topping of a lovely strong cheddar.

My bloody Mary was also very decent indeed.

9/10.

View attachment 70034

Never knew they did breakfast will try this out. Love an Eggs Bennie.

The vodka in that bloody mary looks HUGE! Must admit, I'd rather mine was made for me by an expert as I don't trust myself not to mess it up

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Never knew they did breakfast will try this out. Love an Eggs Bennie.

The vodka in that bloody mary looks HUGE! Must admit, I'd rather mine was made for me by an expert as I don't trust myself not to mess it up

It's really good, and we'll be back!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Last night: Edendum in East Street. They've moved into Indian Summer's old premises who have moved next door.

Spotted them in "10 new Brighton eateries to check out this November" and, fancying a decent pizza ahead of seeing Chvrches at The Dome, we gave it a try.

The Wow247 write-up says pretty much all I would: "Although we are not short of Anglo-Italian pizza/pasta menus in the city, Brighton has been lacking an authentic, regional Italian restaurant for what seems a forever. Enter Edendum, a smart, modern restaurant run by the Cacciolatti family from Piedmont. You won’t find red and white checked tablecloths but a menu of dishes largely undiscovered in the UK, full of great quality ingredients. They also have one of the best kid’s menus in Brighton."

It is very unlike every other Italian in Brighton that I've been to being bright and modern in decor and the menu has some favourites and a fair few different things too. As it was a quiet Monday night, the manager (and, I assume, at least part owner) spent a fair bit of time with us talking through, in a very strong Italian accent, all aspects of the food and how they make it.

The olives were the biggest I have ever seen and the assortment of home made breads were great (and is there anything finer than good warm bread with olive oil and balsamic?). My pizza was as good as I had hoped for and I'm told the risotto was also very decent. I wasn't going to have dessert, but I couldn't resist the tiramisu. This, for me, was the only slight disappointment. It was wonderfully creamy and rich, but I like mine with a glut of booze and they make theirs without. The Bounet, a dessert from North West Italy I'm told, was very much enjoyed.

All in all, very good indeed, with lovely people running it. We'll be back.

http://www.edendum.co.uk/home/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here