Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funniest infield incident when watching Albion

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I suppose that with time to get over it the Dunk own goal at Liverpool was pretty funny
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YxilhH-hQzw

It wasn't so funny at the time being down at the koo end with the Liverpool supporters and having been identified as a Brighton fan! Not so funny for Dunk either because it took a long time for him to get back his confidence.

Classic own goal though...and we scored 4 of the 6 goals....

In the may times I've watched Brighton, by MILES this. One of the best all time own goals.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Thinking of moments that are funny in retrospect, but certainly weren't so at the time, how about Gatting's nonchalant backpass over the keeper from near the half-way line at Upton Park and the Glen Thomas defensive masterclass at Griffin Park.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Can't remember which game this happened at but the Goal keeper thought the ref blew his whistle so he put the ball down and Kit Napier walked up and kicked into the net for a goal::laugh:
Also Alan Duffy getting sent off in the Tunnel.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Haven't got time to read the thread ATM, so sorry if it's been mentioned but Fred Binney's goal at the Goldstone in the early to mid seventies when he turned his back on the keeper and started to run away, the keeper launched the ball and it hit Binney on his back and bounced into the net. The goalie's expression was rather memorable! It's also quite unusual for a goal to be celebrated with more laughter than cheering.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
A Boxing day game at a rain soaked Withdean, against Southend. Seeing Nathan Jones running down the wing with the ball, in front of the main stand, and all of a sudden one of his legs disappeared down a pothole. The game had to be held up for the groundsman to find enough materials to fill the hole.

solly

Aug 31, 2005
I seem to remember a Goldstone incident with a coppers helmet, the helmet somehow ended up in the NS and the crowd kept throwing it to each other along the pitch just out of reach of the ten or so coppers who were chasing it up and down while singing the "Keystone Cops song" ... Once they had enough excercise the crowd gave the hat back

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thumbsup to the shouts for Keith Cuss, the Burton "waaaaaaaay! .....Oh", and sneaky George.

The most I've laughed at a game though, was I think the FA Cup game at Withdean against the MIGHTY Portsmouth (then Championship? to our L1?) when Kitson got sent off, and almost their entire team got booked. The ref was stood at one point, just outside the box, holding his yellow card up to three players in succession. As each one came up to whine about the previous, he was like "Yep. One for you, too". Superb day.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sneaky George v Brizzul Rovers, we had to be in the West Stand that day for medical reasons, we were sat right in line with the 'D', hilarious.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The following spring to mind.....
1) Kit Napier v Chesterfield. After an almighty melee in the goalmouth where 8-10 players were all taking kicks at the ball, the goalkeeper eventually emerged with ball in hand. He assumed that the ref had blown for a free kick and as everyone retired upfield, he placed the ball on the ground about 5 yards out. As he went into the back of the net to give himself a run-up, Napier turned quickly, ran in and popped the ball into the back of the net. The goal stood and the whole ground was in hysterics as the keeper chased the ref all the way to the halfway line.

Surprised it took four pages for this to be mentioned: Alan Stevenson was the goalie and he went totally loco when he realised the goal was allowed to stand.

Also surprised no-one remembers the Brighton player (Martin Thomas?) tackling with his head and the Wycombe player who got sent for his four-letter tirade in a particularly quiet period of the game.

Nathan Jones and the squirrel is still one of the top memories though

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Colin Hawkins own goal v Hartlepool ensuring we had to go all the way to Victoria Park for a Tuesday night replay. 90 odd away fans there and then he goes and gives away the penalty that knocks us out.

What a man

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Whoops already posted thanks for the info Mo on Kits goal it was one of the funniest things I seen.
Another incident was our cup win against Man City at Withdean which the city goal Keeper used foul language to the ball boy and he refused to give him the ball back until he said please. :facepalm:

Colchester away 4 yrs ago, shaven headed steward with shades on arms folded facing us looking all mean and moody, leant back against the little gate to the pitch not realising it had been unlocked and fell backwards through it on to the edge of the pitch. To his credit he took it very well with 1200 of us laughing at him.

Ha ha I was right in front of that and got a pic of him on his arse - so funny.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Fred Binney hatrick against Watford away one of our fans ran on the pitch three times to celebrate our goals only to be thrown back onto the terrace as they thought he was a young kid I think he was over 20 at the time from Worthing big away fan in those days. Anyone remember him !

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yeah, there was a big crowd at the Goldstone for that game. The away supporters were in the north east corner under the floodlight and it was the year of the inflatables. One of the Man city fans had a huge inflatable mouth which was hilarious.
I think that was Lesley Ash?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
The "beekeeper" game at Gillingham. Think it was Mansfields keeper who was dressed in an an orange and black hooped shirt. Brilliant chants ("what a waste of honey", Brighton and Hive Albion etc etc). and the keeper was pissing himself. He even joined in, flapping his arms and pretending to fly.

I also remember another police helmet incident. It must have been around '85/'86. Someone had a dreadful shot from about twenty five yards that took a coppers helmet clean off. Think it might have been dale jasper or Darren Hughes?
Was the copper standing by the corner flag?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Craig Noone responding to the H Block's chant of "Nooney give us a song" - by singing as he continued doing his star jump warm-up :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here