Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I can't decide which of stat's or pogue's is best. I do know I'll be a definite last of all the geeks.

Well seeing as neither live in Hastings, the answer is quite simple - none of them :wink:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
In my frustration at not getting out, I've been plotting a 'long one'. Inspired in part by the Hastings posse and a desire to extend my manor. Looking at a run down to Rye, a work out on the flat to Folkestone before a back lane trek back home. Initially, it was going to be a clockwise route, but common sense said the other way because it I make Folkestone, the train can get me home should the legs pack up after getting that far. 120 miles, no chance but will be fun trying. The flat bit might be a bit hairy as there is not a lot of choice, but I've not seen much of it down there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hey, you need crampons just to get home after EVERY ride. :lol:
You're not far wrong there.

In my frustration at not getting out, I've been plotting a 'long one'. Inspired in part by the Hastings posse and a desire to extend my manor. Looking at a run down to Rye, a work out on the flat to Folkestone before a back lane trek back home. Initially, it was going to be a clockwise route, but common sense said the other way because it I make Folkestone, the train can get me home should the legs pack up after getting that far. 120 miles, no chance but will be fun trying. The flat bit might be a bit hairy as there is not a lot of choice, but I've not seen much of it down there.

You need to be checking the wind direction on the day. Usually it blows SW so anti clockwise Rye to Folkestone would be favourite. Go the wrong way and hit too much coastal headwind and it'll feel like double the miles and then some. Rye and the surrounds is marsh country remember, and when it blows it really blows!
If you go for it then let us know and I'll try to join you for some of it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh wow, 120 miles is a rather large step up, that'll take some working towards.
Strava has it as twice your longest ever, good luck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yay much to my surprise I've just received an email request to ride The Puncheur.
I nice little motivation for the next couple of weeks.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yay much to my surprise I've just received an email request to ride The Puncheur.
I nice little motivation for the next couple of weeks.

Nice one, just what the doctor ordered!

Bloke I rode with Friday night mentioned he'd ridden that a few times and was chuffed to get a gold time last time round. Sod that for a game of soldiers!

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Been thinking along the same lines [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] re. ride Folkestone area, just exploring the flat lanes around Appledore, Lydd and Romney Marsh for the moment (which are great for riding and hope to spend a lot of time on in Summer), trying not to stray too far from my safety net home, the Ashford line (Hamstreet, Rye etc) . Be good to join you, as 1066 mentions best pick a favourable day with wind. I always prefer getting the headwind out the way on the outward and certainly wouldn't fancy a long return to Bexhill with todays 25 SW !

Also like to push the boundaries to Goudhurst, Cranbrook & Lamberhurst when the right day comes along so maybe another possibility

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame it clashes with the Albion although hopefully by Good Friday the season will be over anyway.
But this (or one like it) might be worth some consideration:-

http://www.icycleevents.co.uk/the-good-friday-sportive

A set date for some training motivation, plus they'll be a couple of rest stops along the way.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's a shame it clashes with the Albion although hopefully by Good Friday the season will be over anyway.
But this (or one like it) might be worth some consideration:-

http://www.icycleevents.co.uk/the-good-friday-sportive

A set date for some training motivation, plus they'll be a couple of rest stops along the way.

I do wonder if cycling events are the biggest 'growth market' in sport these days.

I still struggle with the concept of paying to ride my bike on public roads personally, goes against all that cycling represents to me. I can sort of see where the appeal is, but something just feels odd about it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I do wonder if cycling events are the biggest 'growth market' in sport these days.

I still struggle with the concept of paying to ride my bike on public roads personally, goes against all that cycling represents to me. I can sort of see where the appeal is, but something just feels odd about it.

I know what you mean, and have cut right back on sportives this year.

I still need some sort of focus though - this year I am doing an event in Brittany and Ride London. But I won't be bothering with any of the others...probably.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Yeah I get that and do agree, but I do think they serve a purpose.

Like I've said before, I think they are an excellent gateway into the sport, although not something I actively seek to do now, without jnr (race number and certificate go a long way when you're 10)

Saying that though and to copy Pogue, I'm considerably more motivated when I have a focal point.
Nice weather is more than enough so, I would hardly have ridden this winter without saying I'll do a sportive in Dec and one in March.
My riding really tailed off after Dec solely because I thought I'd missed out on the March event.

As for Moto he gets his first hundred, opens up a whole new area to ride in without the worry of directions and the safety net of 'pit stops' en route.

There's certainly a growth in the market and the cost of entry, :ohmy:, but I still think for a specific reason/event/location they are ideal.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] is probably kicking himself for not charging a tenner for the next club ride.
Throwing in a few gels, slice of cake and a new drink bottle, everyone's happy :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I know what you mean, and have cut right back on sportives this year.

I still need some sort of focus though - this year I am doing an event in Brittany and Ride London. But I won't be bothering with any of the others...probably.

I agree - having thought I'd do some sportives, I really can't be arsed now. I'm fairly goal orientated and I struggle a bit to see what the "aim" is in a sportive. I can't really get out at weekends to put big rides in so the training for the tria****n has kept me motivated without the need for big mileage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They're definitely not for you IL.

Anyhoo another new member to the Geeks Strava page :shrug: :rolleyes:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks for the comments chaps. My biggest hurdle is getting away with a proper long ride. In reality, I need Mrs M to announce she's doing something with the children which does not require me. I'm in for a long wait then.

I can't do it on my own if I can give it a go. Had a bonkette last year. Nothing much, but enough to cause some 'interesting' route selection. 5 miles from home is different from 50.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Some advice from you lot would be much appreciated.

I've enrolled on the Cycle to Work scheme and budgeting around £300-£350 for a Hybrid.

So far, I've narrowed it down to one bike and I'm pretty set on this unless advised otherwise.

My commute is a 6 mile round trip on the road.
I won't be using it off road at all.
I'd like it nice and light as I'll be heaving it up and down the stairs to my flat.

All feedback much appreciated!

Evans - Pinnacle Lithium One

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Some advice from you lot would be much appreciated.

I've enrolled on the Cycle to Work scheme and budgeting around £300-£350 for a Hybrid.

So far, I've narrowed it down to one bike and I'm pretty set on this unless advised otherwise.

My commute is a 6 mile round trip on the road.
I won't be using it off road at all.
I'd like it nice and light as I'll be heaving it up and down the stairs to my flat.

All feedback much appreciated!

Evans - Pinnacle Lithium One

If you are only going on the road, why not get a road bike?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
If you are only going on the road, why not get a road bike?

This might be a really weak answer but I just don't think I'll enjoy a road-bike as much as I would a Hybrid.

That and within my price-range, I've limited options for Road Bikes.

As you can probably already tell, I know next to nothing about bikes!

Edit: Just reading back on my OP, I meant I wouldn't be going off-road i.e Dirt/Mud etc.
I wouldn't rule out the odd gravel path etc.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here