Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has gone wrong then?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
People are entitled to their opinions. Shouting them down does not make your opinion FACT.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
My point stands but time will tell. Many more seasons outside the premiership which after all was supposed to be the ambition and crowds will be under 20000 at the Amex.

No it doesn't. Your point that Tony Bloom shows no ambition is utterly baseless. Spending huge sums of money we haven't got IS NOT ambition, it is irresponsible behaviour. We are building an infrastructure at the club both physical in terms of facilities as well human in terms of operations and management structures so that WHEN we get promoted we are more likely to STAY there and be a sustainable football club, not a bankrupt one-hit wonder.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Apologies if a totally ignorant question.

We have a first team squad of 22 and rising, a development squad of 20ish (?wild stab in the dark) a ladies squad c 35 and then the youth teams. But do we really need ALL those pitches? What the heck do they use them all for? There's 20 outdoor pitches of varying sizes and then you've got the indoor facilities.
Someone help me out with this one as it does seem a little excessive?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
LOST in the playoffs in the last 2 seasons

Ah, but we got INTO the playoffs, which is more than can be said for many [lots more teams].

Round my way Shrewsbury Town failed 2 years running in the play-offs. Then they got promoted to L1 but after 2 seasons are back where they started - is that what you would like?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No it doesn't. Your point that Tony Bloom shows no ambition is utterly baseless. Spending huge sums of money we haven't got IS NOT ambition, it is irresponsible behaviour. We are building an infrastructure at the club both physical in terms of facilities as well human in terms of operations and management structures so that WHEN we get promoted we are more likely to STAY there and be a sustainable football club, not a bankrupt one-hit wonder.

Great. People are entitled to say what they want within the law. My opinion is the ambitions have changed from a real desire to be a premiership club within a timeframe 3-5 seasons to a " lets see what happens " and if it takes 10-15 seasons, if at all, fine. The captive audience we currently have will have 10000 fickle fans who will leave well before then and the ground will be getting under 20k in the championship.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Apologies if a totally ignorant question.

We have a first team squad of 22 and rising, a development squad of 20ish (?wild stab in the dark) a ladies squad c 35 and then the youth teams. But do we really need ALL those pitches? What the heck do they use them all for? There's 20 outdoor pitches of varying sizes and then you've got the indoor facilities.
Someone help me out with this one as it does seem a little excessive?

Wear & tear I guess (to allow the groundskeepers to work on pitches while others are in use), goalkeeper sessions, different age groups, ladies...presumably this was all carefully taken into account by the club when planning it.

There's no way they'd use (and thus pay for) more land than required. Perhaps the FA's academy grading thing requires a certain number of pitches too, if a club is to aspire to top level status. I assume that's the aim.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Ah, but we got INTO the playoffs, which is more than can be said for many [lots more teams].

Round my way Shrewsbury Town failed 2 years running in the play-offs. Then they got promoted to L1 but after 2 seasons are back where they started - is that what you would like?

Premier League is the only MEASURE of SUCCESS, anything LESS is FAILURE, PURE and SIMPLE

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well all hail the 72 failures of last season then, Ernest. We can all unite in mediocrity and misery.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Agreed. However this applies to all clubs and some haven't got parachute payments, i.e, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, etc..

What is most concerning is that you appear to actually believe what you've posted here.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The general opinion on the street is " Brighton spend no money on the team " Now I know this attracts the usual snide comments from the clique but this is the perception.

Who's perception ? There's a few simpletons on here that occasionally state that but they are a very small minority.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Great. People are entitled to say what they want within the law. My opinion is the ambitions have changed for a real desire to be a premiership club within a timeframe 3-5 season to a " lets see what happens " and if it takes 10-15 seasons, if at all, fine. The captive audience we currently have will have 10000 fickle fans who will leave well before then and the ground will be getting under 20k in the championship.

You really don't get it do you. ? I will
Leave you with 3 letters. FFP.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
People are entitled to their opinions. Shouting them down does not make your opinion FACT.

Indeed, everyone is entitled to an opinion. And everyone is entitled to debate whether expressed opinions hold much (any) weight. My take is that Tony Bloom's intention is to make BHA a sustainable proposition long term and to that end he has spent £130m on infrastructure thus far. He wants the club to become self financing (or as near as dammit) and to comply with FFP regulations (more or less the same thing anyway.) This requires a sensible policy regarding the playing budget and this is what we are seeing. The year Poyet said we were 17th in terms of expenditure we were 9th. Take into account the clubs in receipt of parachute payments and those with scant regard for sustainability and we are hardly on the same level as Blackpool, Yeovil etc etc. Tony promised a competitive budget and guess what? We have been competitive!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What has surprised me the most is Tony Bloom's lack of ambition. He seems quite content with spending season after season in the Championship with no great desire or ambition to get into the Premier league and I find that very surprising and disappointing. Hyppia has no target just a " get in the top 6 if you can but if you can't never mind " Crowds will soon drop and have already start to tail off. 2000 down this season already. That is fine but why build the best stadium and training facilities around with a seemingly total lack of ambition on the field ?

This is right up there with the utter crap peddled by the likes of Ernest and Kev the Rev. the difference is, they are trolls, who think their tedious drivel is funny. You actually BELIEVE what you just typed. I'm embarrassed for you.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Great. People are entitled to say what they want within the law. My opinion is the ambitions have changed for a real desire to be a premiership club within a timeframe 3-5 season to a " lets see what happens " and if it takes 10-15 seasons, if at all, fine. The captive audience we currently have will have 10000 fickle fans who will leave well before then and the ground will be getting under 20k in the championship.

You are entitled to an opinion, but you have hardly backed it up. All you have done is bemoan the fact that we haven't gone out and spent £Xmillion on players, which seems ton e your definition of ambition.

Does someone who walks in to a bookies and puts his house on the favourite on the 2.15 at Ascot show ambition or are they being really irresponsible and stupid? Getting Tony to chuck £10million here, £7m there etc all while we are sustaining losses is pretty much the same thing. The person may get a big win, but on the flip side they could easily lose their house.

We will get players in that we can afford and will hopefully be a good fit for the club. As long we are competitive (which I may remind you we HAVE been), people will still come, if we end up facing relegation maybe less so, but hey that's football.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There's people that are short-termist and those that are long-termist. The short termists want us to blow loads on a shot at the Prem, whilst the long termists want us to take the infrastructure and look at it from a business side - being sustainable and living within their means. They'll never agree as they're two totally different types of people.

Considering that 5 years ago if someone had even said the notion that we'd be in the top 10 of the Championship, let alone the playoffs we would have called the men in white coats. I've not been a fan of the club as long as many (but then i'm not as old as some, so that figures) and my knowledge and memories of the club stems from 1995 or so onwards, so i'm just used to struggle and not the heady days of the cup runs, top flight football etc. So for me, this are still good times.
I see the club as in the middle of a long transition - our new manager has been in his job for one match, we've only just opened our new training complex and this will be only our 4th year at the Amex - that is no time at all for a business in a growth phase such as ours.

I would hope and expect that the board have a long term plan for sustained success - whilst gambling for the big time would be incredibly tempting, it isn't in the best interests for the club. Surely that's what everyone wants?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
in answer to the OP's question

NOTHING

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is right up there with the utter crap peddled by the likes of Ernest and Kev the Rev. the difference is, they are trolls, who think their tedious drivel is funny. You actually BELIEVE what you just typed. I'm embarrassed for you.

Thanks. That makes my day much better :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here